Skylords Reborn: Open Staff Positions

Ladadoos

eu gostaria de ajudar vcs e ser um testador de mapas, pois eu nao conheço sql nem os outros programas mas testar  mapas eu posso fazer para ajudar vocês e nos ajudar tbm porque eu adoro jogar battle forge.

I would like to help you guys and be a map tester. I don't know sql or the other programs but testing maps I can do to help you and help us too, because I love playing battle forge.

whats app 5521973087644 paulo

13 hours ago, Duracellalpha said:

eu gostaria de ajudar vcs e ser um testador de mapas, pois eu nao conheço sql nem os outros programas mas testar  mapas eu posso fazer para ajudar vocês e nos ajudar tbm porque eu adoro jogar battle forge.

I would like to help you guys and be a map tester. I don't know sql or the other programs but testing maps I can do to help you and help us too, because I love playing battle forge.

whats app 5521973087644 paulo

I am afraid you have failed first step, which is making a proper post ^^
"Feel free to create a post in the appropriate sub-section by clicking on "Click here to apply" next to the position title if you think you can help us (do not apply by replying to this thread here)." - Ladadoos

It is important aspect for anonimity as well, I am genuinly happy nobody from community can view applications, since it would make a few of us a bit shy ^^

Edited by Dallarian
Deadman and VolvoxGlobator like this

Just in case i would apply as artist and my work would fit what you are looking for: How much exactly would be expected from me? One illustration per month? Is there more or less a freedom of choice, considering what i would work on based on a list of things or something? I might be able to spend some free time on a few paintings. However, since i am by far not rich and it would be a no income/hobby kind of work i would sadly have to prioritise my normal job and deadlines for paintings where i absolutely have to deliver to pay my bills.

2 hours ago, shroomion said:

Just in case i would apply as artist and my work would fit what you are looking for: How much exactly would be expected from me? One illustration per month? Is there more or less a freedom of choice, considering what i would work on based on a list of things or something? I might be able to spend some free time on a few paintings. However, since i am by far not rich and it would be a no income/hobby kind of work i would sadly have to prioritise my normal job and deadlines for paintings where i absolutely have to deliver to pay my bills.

Thanks for the questions. We understand that real life comes first and also encourage you to prioritize it over the project. People sometimes are absent and as long as there is a good reason for it that is fine. We are in the makings of designing a roadmap and new systems to keep the BattleForge experience fresh for everyone, where one of our focusses is to release content when it is ready compared to demanding it to be ready on a certain date (deadlines). This means: you contribute when you have time and if it is not done in time, we try to include what was being worked on in the next update. Of course you can't endlessly delay content and at one point it should be ready. How much time you exactly need to spend depends a lot on your skills and where exactly you want to help in. We are more goal focused instead of "you must spend X hours per week".

"Is there more or less a freedom of choice, considering what i would work on based on a list of things or something?"
Depends on where you want to help in exactly, but in general the team has an idea and purpose for the art (loading screen, card artwork, event artwork etc.) and might suggest a few ideas. We are not going to say that you absolutely need to make something a certain way, because a case like this should ideally never happen considering the team should have their values and visions aligned. I think the most important part is that you should be open to constructive criticism and be willing to incorporate feedback into your work if you or the majority of the team think it improves the content (in other words, not have the mentality "I want this and I will do it no matter what"). What you end up working on depends on what is needed at the time. Usually there is not so much work available where you have many options to choose from, but within an artwork you have a lot of freedom to propose your own ideas. We are not going to micromanage you.

I hope this gives you a bit more insight. Let me know if you have any remaining questions.

Loriens likes this

If i can help map artist and  developers, by testing the maps, i would like to help. I have a huge knowlage about the game, some freetime to usw it for this. If English only is needet Deepl will help me :D 

I like to give constructive feedback and i also like to try things that are not in the best interest of the developer, the find maby bugs/glitches/Desingfail and more.

I also have some experience here in the skylords in this regard, since I had tested for emma and Lebovin one or the other map and also gave feedback on it.

I also worked on some maps a little by developing and desing, so i can maby give even more constructive feedback. 

/wanky.

ps: please don't be put off because I am one of the speedrunners. I would look at the maps from the point of view of a normal player, but if necessary also explain aspects from the point of view of a speedrunner. 

@wanky

On 2/25/2021 at 1:33 AM, Ladadoos said:

Feel free to create a post in the appropriate sub-section by clicking on "Click here to apply" next to the position title if you think you can help us (do not apply by replying to this thread here)

On 3/4/2021 at 8:03 AM, Angel said:

Are there more flexible positions for the developer side of things? I don't know if I could commit 3 hours a week, but I might be happy to drop in now and then and fix a bug or two.

Thanks for the question! As of now, not particularly. Even though everyone's time is very much appreciated, I am afraid 3 hours per week would currently not justify a developer role. Your time availability sounds like it would be more suitable for an open source project, which we are not as of now.  

DevDanielson and Angel like this

5 hours ago, Cocofang said:

Does that imply the team now has the people to actually implement new cards and factions?

I'd assume that this means they're currently closed till all applicants have been reviewed and decided, or that they have been recruited.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, Zyna said:

Changes:

- Closed applications for "Community Manager" position

The link for application is still available at the position description. Might want to fiix that to avoid confusion and unnecassary applications.

Zyna likes this

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:41 AM, Ladadoos said:

Even though everyone's time is very much appreciated, I am afraid 3 hours per week would currently not justify a developer role.

I don't know, but in case of a project such as this one, how do you imagine other people' contribution to the project exactly ? Since these roles are not paid obviously and "a couple of hours weekly" is not, in your words, justified for a developer role, then how do you really expect that this project will move on? Guys skilled enough to fix things and with the ability to literally donate their time to this cause, will most definitelly not do it for tens of hours every week for free just because you expect them to do so. I would even dare to say, that you are not left with many options besides this one, because as @shroomion said - people usually have to deliver results in order to cover their own bills. So, unless you offer an honest job to anyone willing to spend a ton of time OR get anyone left with a couple of hours of free time every week working for free basically, I'm really not sure what your plan is honestly.

I think that you especially should be the first one to call this out - and don't get me wrong, this is not supposed to be any kind of rant, but just objective view of things.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:41 PM, Ladadoos said:

I am afraid 3 hours per week would currently not justify a developer role.

You should probably define "a few hours" in the OP then:

On 2/24/2021 at 4:33 PM, Ladadoos said:

Desired traits for all roles:

• Have time to spend on the project. Being available a few hours per week is desired (we are flexible with this trait) but if you would like to be part of the team you should have the free time to contribute.

I think most people would define "a few" to be closer to a number like 3 rather than 10+. Overall it seems like you're treating these openings more like unpaid internships than actual volunteer positions. At least have the courtesy to give a well defined minimum bound for the commitment you're expecting.

5 hours ago, Technus94 said:

You should probably define "a few hours" in the OP then:

I think most people would define "a few" to be closer to a number like 3 rather than 10+. Overall it seems like you're treating these openings more like unpaid internships than actual volunteer positions. At least have the courtesy to give a well defined minimum bound for the commitment you're expecting.

If I understood the structure right, "Developers" in this project are people that really drive the project forward. This includes not just working on (a part of) Skylords but also alot of decision making. I dont think you can accomplish anything meaningful in 3 hours/week if you consider that you have to attend team meetings, coordinate with the other developers and communicate with players for their ideas and imput.

Just doing "your own thing" for 3 hours a week could accomplish something like a cool new map or some artwork if you take enough weeks. And my guess is if someone endevours on such a project they wont turn you away, but be happy to use a polished product (whatever it may be). But thats not a developer role inside a project.

Ladadoos likes this

7 hours ago, Kapo said:

If I understood the structure right, "Developers" in this project are people that really drive the project forward. This includes not just working on (a part of) Skylords but also alot of decision making. I dont think you can accomplish anything meaningful in 3 hours/week if you consider that you have to attend team meetings, coordinate with the other developers and communicate with players for their ideas and imput.

Just doing "your own thing" for 3 hours a week could accomplish something like a cool new map or some artwork if you take enough weeks. And my guess is if someone endevours on such a project they wont turn you away, but be happy to use a polished product (whatever it may be). But thats not a developer role inside a project.

Pretty much this. Its not that we are on some high horse deeming 3 hours a week not worthy of our team. Its just like Kapo said, to accomplish anything meanginfull in our teamstructure, and as a developper specificly, would require more than 3 hours to be able to have time for actual development work on top of meetings and coordinating with the other teammembers.

Every member on the team is unpaid. We are also not allowed to make a profit (since EA owns the property) or use patreon to pay teammembers. 
It also makes little sense for us to pay other people to help us, since that basicly means we have a job that costs us money (on top of a lot of time). 

So how can we expect people to work for the project? The same way we do. We all have a passion for the project and want to see it succeed. And as Ladadoos mentioned above, we do understand life comes first, and finding a good balance requires the willingness to work together and a certain time availability. On some roles this wont be as much, but as mentioned before, the developers are a very crucial role in the project that require more time to be effective. 

We are not some evil company trying to trick people into working for free. We are a community project that is literally not allowed to pay people or make a profit ourselves. Yet we all pour our heart, soul and time into the project anyway. 

Ladadoos likes this

14 hours ago, Carofex said:

In which surrounding does a map tester tests the maps? On the official server, the testserver or somewhere else?

Atm mostly on live server. But as the projects progress we might at some point test on testserver and we might not upload the maps to server but share them internally. 

Kind regards

• Majora unfeatured and unpinned this topic