Greetings fellow Skyfolk,

so I got into web-development a short while ago and decided to try and apply my skills in creating a website to keep track of some marketplace statistics and data and wanted to share it with you all. ;)

The site is called:     Skylords Marketplace Journal     (or SMJ for short)

Current features include:

• A list of all cards, while displaying the lowest and highest recorded minimum prices, as well as the most recent prices, with fully integrated search and sort functions. (It is also possible to save any filter combination in your bookmarks, so you don't need to set them again every time.)
  • An Option to add the current price of each card to the database.
  • A more detailed view for each card regarding the price development over time with either a graph or table view of the data.
  • A boosters overview with information about the current average value of the booster content.
  • An overview of the contents for each booster.

(There is a preview version with a set of random prices available. Just click on "View Test Prices" on the home screen to view them.)

For things that I plan to add in the future see "Planned Features" at the bottom of the page.

Known issues:

• I used the available cardbase dataset as a startingpoint and adjusted it to fit my data structure, this means that some images weren't available so I picked (somewhat) related images, these are:
  1. Easter Egg (Promo) -> Santa Clause (Promo)
  2. Revenant's Blessing [G] -> Revenant's Blessing [R]
  3. Satanael [P] -> Satanael [R]
  • The website is not completely mobile friendly yet (eg. price charts)
  • To go to the previous page from the "Cards" screen, you need to go back twice. (I know where this issue originates, but I still need to figure out how to best adjust my code, to prevent this from happening.)

The price database currently needs to be fed by entering the current price for each card by hand, so it's quite tedious to maintain. It could be a community effort to keep the database up to date, but an even better option would be to feed the database with an API of the actual marketplace auctions, if there is one that the devs could provide. ;)

Other than that there shouldn't be any major issues, but if you find anything that is not working properly or is irritating, please let me know and I will update it. Also, if you have any ideas on features that could be added, don't hesitate in telling me about them and I'll see what I can do. Design/Layout suggestions are also appreciated, as I'm not a designer and just did the bare minimum while using the in game design as a template.

Please tell me your opinion on this little project of mine that I hope will be somewhat helpful to you all. :)

Thanks and I hope to see you all in the Forge. ;)

SMJ_CARDS_PAGE.thumb.PNG.b201d1904deea03d7328cce4aefa3954.PNG

SMJ_CARD_CHART.PNG

EDIT:

I updated the Cards Page so now it has a better filter and sorting function for the cards and the price function has been disabled.

If you have any other filter/sort options you want me to implement, don't hesitate to tell me and I'll see what I can do. ;)

SMJ_CARDS.thumb.PNG.f1123c289a50864dd6fb56992a434915.PNG

Edited by Maze
Updated Cards-Page

I very much like the idea behind this. More tranparency usually leeds to better prices.

But I am a bit concerned about the "enter price" button. How does it work and how can you prevent prices from beeing manipulated there? (In either way)

How does it work if different people rate the same card on the same day differently.  What does happen, if one persons "spams" a price on your tracker?

Sorry for so many questions about manipulation, but sadly I see too many greedy people out there.

Thanks a lot for your input.

3 hours ago, Volin said:

But I am a bit concerned about the "enter price" button. How does it work and how can you prevent prices from beeing manipulated there? (In either way)

How does it work if different people rate the same card on the same day differently.  What does happen, if one persons "spams" a price on your tracker?

To answer your questions, there is currently no check in place for the price input, so anyone can enter any number at any point as the current price. I didn't implement any manipulation-countermeasures yet, as I am someone who initially trusts people to do the right thing, but you are right, there are always bad people.

I will add checks, so only 0 (if no auction for this card is available) and numbers between 3 and 100,000 will be allowed (I don't think that there will be prices above 100k). Furthermore, to not overload the database, I plan to also include filters, so that no new prices can be added for 30 mins (or so) after the last price for the respective card was added. I also plan to display the time since the last update for each card.

About price manipulation, a friend suggested to implement a login feature and only allow trusted people to add/edit prices, but if you have a better idea, please let me know. :)

16 hours ago, Maze said:

but an even better option would be to feed the database with an API of the actual marketplace auctions

This would be the almost perfect solution indeed. Did you speak with the devs about this? Even better would be to get data from the game itself about actual trades in AH - because this does not reflect either supply or demand side, but the price itself.

Btw - what does the graph show? Lowest buyout I'd guess?

9 hours ago, Maze said:

I didn't implement any manipulation-countermeasures yet, as I am someone who initially trusts people to do the right thing

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyways, potential profits, no matter if real or only in colorful pixels, will lead to people trying to exploit. Self reported prices won't work. Without objective input like through an API I wouldn't trust these numbers. Because I know people try to manipulate prices (and sometimes successfully do so) EVEN IF there is access to an objective graph as a resource.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:19 PM, Volin said:

This would be the almost perfect solution indeed. Did you speak with the devs about this? Even better would be to get data from the game itself about actual trades in AH - because this does not reflect either supply or demand side, but the price itself.

Btw - what does the graph show? Lowest buyout I'd guess?

I haven't talked with the devs yet and yes, the graph shows the lowest current buyout values. (I planned to add another graph inside it that shows the current number of auctions for this card, for more depth of information)

To get the data from the game itself would mean I'd have to use "tools" on the game, but that would break the rules. So I won't do that to acquire the data, as I still want to enjoy playing the game and not get banned.

I know that the way I set up the page is not a completely accurate representation of the auctions, I just wanted to implement this idea of mine, as best as I could. I will probably change the site to just a better filtering site for the cards, if I can't get my hands on the parts of the auction data that I need without risking my account.

Metagross31 and Mynoduesp like this

I love your project. But like you said, without an API the information gathering is tedious and manipulatable. Last time I checked the card API wasn't up to date (or at least the devs were not sure if it was), therefore I guess this might take some time until a market API gets released.

I honestly don't know enough coding-shenanigans, but tried to work with the API and lost intetest upon the limited availability compared to a game like Path of Exile. :(

You seem to do better, keep up the work and maybe you can push the devs for better API support. :D

On 10/6/2020 at 2:19 AM, Mynoduesp said:

I love your project. But like you said, without an API the information gathering is tedious and manipulatable. Last time I checked the card API wasn't up to date (or at least the devs were not sure if it was), therefore I guess this might take some time until a market API gets released.

I honestly don't know enough coding-shenanigans, but tried to work with the API and lost intetest upon the limited availability compared to a game like Path of Exile. :(

You seem to do better, keep up the work and maybe you can push the devs for better API support. :D

Thanks, and yes the card API isn't up to date as far as I have seen (some errors / missing data).

What do you mean with limited availability? As in not much info other that the card values?
I tried to update/sort through the data for my site, but there are still thing I want to add (more information on hover, etc).

2 hours ago, Maze said:

What do you mean with limited availability? As in not much info other that the card values?
I tried to update/sort through the data for my site, but there are still thing I want to add (more information on hover, etc).

Yes, the data provided is pretty much just cards as you see them in the forge. I was interested in pure stats, which I got in form of a couple of exports as .json files. For you, actual data from the market place would be sweet I'd imagine, I know there is data, but how you'd access it I don't know and if you're allowed to access it is another topic on its own.
I'd highly suggest messaging a dev in PMs or ask them on discord. I'm sure they're able to help more than I can. :D