• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 3 hard choice.

1.Hellsing
2.Elfen Lied
3.Neon Genesis Evangelion

honourable mention xD:
Great Teacher Onizuka, Deat Note, Gangsta., Nanatsu no Taizai, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu, Deadman Wonderland, Ghost in the Shell, Monster, Iria:Zeiram the animation, Dragon Ball, Angel Beats, Eureka Seven, Code Geass, Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Sengoku Basara, Attack on Titan, Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn, Terra Formars, Cowboy Bebop

and many more :D

Edited by Raishinshi

Not many Dragon Ball Fans huh

1. Dragon Ball (any)
  2. High School DxD (They need to hurry up with the 4th season I don't want to wait til 2016 spring team ITS NOT FAIR)
  3. Well um I guess         To-Love Ru

I gotta switch my 3rd place with Haganai

• 3 months later...

1. HunterXHunter

2. Log Horizon

3. Attack on Titan

4. Fairy tail 

5. Shokugeki no souma

6. Mirai Nikki

7. Kill la Kill

8. One Punch Man

9. Shigatsu wa kimi no uso

10. Spirited away

Edited by Eddio

• 6 months later...

My list:

1. X  (As shown in my Profile Picture, was one of my first watched animes with Vision of Escaflowne)

2. One Punch Man 

3. Attack on Titan.

Saw also alot of the other suggested Animes, but i will check some of the unknown ones =).

One P

My list in order:

Code Geass
Death Note
Akame Ga Kill
Darker than black
Sword Art Online
Tokyo Ghoul
Highschool DXD
Hellsing ultimate
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Hunter x hunter,
Fairy Tail
Full Metal Alchemist
rin daughters of mnemosyne
Future diaries (s1)
Black butler
Fate Zero
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo
Edited by Reinard

13 hours ago, Reinard said:

My list in order:

Sword Art Online

SAO is one of my all time favourites. Code Geass is another good pick with Fate Zero and Fairy Tail.
I can't stand AOT, Death Note or FMA but that's probably due to my age and standards. Would've liked them 10 years ago.

Looking at your list, I'm sure you'd also enjoy Magi. Give it a go!

• 4 months later...

1. Hunter x Hunter
2. Mob psycho
3. One punch man 
Madhouse all the way! :D

On 18-6-2016 at 0:21 PM, Ilsyde said:

SAO is one of my all time favourites. Code Geass is another good pick with Fate Zero and Fairy Tail.
I can't stand AOT, Death Note or FMA but that's probably due to my age and standards. Would've liked them 10 years ago.

Looking at your list, I'm sure you'd also enjoy Magi. Give it a go!

You just triggered me, you got a new nemesis! :jorne:

Edited by shadowxxs77

2 hours ago, Valaraukar said:

1. Death note

2. One piece

3. DBZ

Those are not anime.

RWBY is also not an Anime, doesn´t stop every anime stream site to host them.

Welll, here my list in no specific order:

Code geass
Madoka Magica
Kämpfer
Mirai Nikki
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Honestly, nobody cares what lable you want to put on a show. why is it important where a show was made? how does that define its qualitys/genre? avatar is disinctly eastern in style, in my book i'd count it towards anime (that is in case anime is an actual thing with meaning and not just a lable for jap animation).

not convinced? then please tell me if dark souls is a "j-rpg" or not. it is clearly more western in style, isn't it? it lack the typical elements of japanese style rpgs, but it's still from japan.

2 hours ago, LagOps said:

Honestly, nobody cares what lable you want to put on a show. why is it important where a show was made? how does that define its qualitys/genre? avatar is disinctly eastern in style, in my book i'd count it towards anime (that is in case anime is an actual thing with meaning and not just a lable for jap animation).

not convinced? then please tell me if dark souls is a "j-rpg" or not. it is clearly more western in style, isn't it? it lack the typical elements of japanese style rpgs, but it's still from japan.

If we don't care about what makes anime what it is then this entire thread is pointless and we should talk about favorite series instead. Avatars animations and everything else are more similar to western animation styles than eastern ones, a different drawing style doesn't change that.

I have never played dark souls and don't really know anything about it so I can't answer that.

then how would you define "anime"? just as animation from japan? do you include korea and china (there have been some anime style shows from those countries)?

i would argue that we should not just use the country of origin here, that doesn't really much sense for a genre definition.

also, animation style is also not really indicative either, i mean just look at the variety of styles there are: ghibli movies, jojo's bizzare adventures, space dandy, berserk 2016 (yes it looks like shit), ufotable animation, tons of wierdly drawn moe shows.... the list just goes on and on.

then what makes a show "anime"? to me, what makes it anime are the main motifs/elements the show is about: for anime common ones include: coming of age,, sexuality (no i don't mean hentai...), martial arts, slice of life, morality, suffering and loss, supernatural elements, game elements etc etc. in adition the way characters and plot progression is done is quite distincitive.

in general, anime is MOSTLY directed towards youths and young adults, where the main bulk of western animation is meant for kids exclusively and only a small part, which is dominated by superhero adaptations, is directed towards adults. there is some overlap in themes (mainly loss and suffering as well as supernatural elements for the superhero adaptations), but the way plot and characters are done is quite different from eastern animations. avatar feels very eastern to me and it fits better in the "anime" category than in the western animation category.

now you can really argue about this and never get to a satisfying conclusion and that's fine. but calling others out for "not listing anime" as if it was a fact that avatar doesn't belong here is really not nessecary. if others count it as anime, then that's absolutely fine and their choice. there is no need to go as far as say that the entire discussion has no meaning because of ONE controversial show. that's a slippery slope fallacy and i am pretty sure you are aware of that. please stop trying to shut down the discussion because others disagree with your opinion. that's not how discussions work.

1 hour ago, LagOps said:

then how would you define "anime"? just as ........(long post skipping feature).......because others disagree with your opinion. that's not how discussions work.

#Lawyered

Oh and also if a japanese guy moves and makes an animated series in US, does this make it an anime, and also vice versa. Imo this topic is subjective and it has no black-or-white border :) 

My top 3 would be One piece, Avatar TLA and Sword Art Online 1st season, i think. Even if they are not the best in artwork or most thought through, I feel that emotionally they took me furthest.  +SPOILERS(just in case)+  Especially One Piece Merry-Go's funeral and Ace's death scenes :D

Edited by mudavunts

@mudavunts so the exact same show (in this case avatar) would be considered anime if it was made by the same people if they had jap citizenship? how does that make any sense for a genre definition? if that's how you see it, it really is a lable with no meaning.

anyways, my favorites include

psycho pass,

monster,

berserk 97 (manga still a lot better),

death note,

code geas,

FMA brotherhood,

princess mononoke,

one punch man

To be honest, there's a slight difference between Anime and Cartoons, but thee main one is where it was made, Because Anime has to come from Japan. Though I personally don't find any problem in people also listing Cartoons in a list like this, I do think think you shouldn't call an Anime a Cartoon and the other way around.

13 hours ago, LagOps said:

@LagOps nah mate, I meant that for me Avatar TLA feels more like an anime for it's style, settings and that little special that i cannot define :D . Have never really given thought about it, whether it is an anime or cartoon. Tho I personally prefer to keep it in anime list :P

I personally take this matter as cooking: If you make ramen, it tastes, looks and feels like ramen, then it is ramen! No matter where you come from.

Is there actually any point arguing about this?

I mean just because considering Legend of Korra Anime or not the show doesn't change at all, right?

Also i am quite curious what you would do with the original Transformers anime :D - created and broadcasted in the US but a lot of  influential japanese animators worked on that one.

Good luck defining that one.

On 30.10.2016 at 9:42 PM, LagOps said:

Avatar feels very eastern to me and it fits better in the "anime" category than in the western animation category.

now you can really argue about this and never get to a satisfying conclusion and that's fine. but calling others out for "not listing anime" as if it was a fact that avatar doesn't belong here is really not nessecary. if others count it as anime, then that's absolutely fine and their choice. there is no need to go as far as say that the entire discussion has no meaning because of ONE controversial show. that's a slippery slope fallacy and i am pretty sure you are aware of that. please stop trying to shut down the discussion because others disagree with your opinion. that's not how discussions work.

You say that Avatar fits better in the "anime" category as like it's a fact and then you call me out for acting like things are facts? Quite hypocritical don't you think? Who the hell are you to tell me not to state my opinion just because you disagree? Because in my opinion Avatar is just as much anime as a strawberry is a berry.

"If others count it as anime, then that's absolutely fine and their choice." So you wouldn't mind me counting Spongebob or The walking dead as anime? I mean it's my choice right? I know there's a difference but by saying this thread is pointless I meant that if we stop caring about what actually is anime and what isn't this "Favorite Anime" thread could as well be called "Favorite Show" and there wouldn't be any difference.

Edited by Valaraukar

I argued that avatar fits into anime better (in my opinion, never stated it as fact. you see, i wrote "feels very eastern to me" and not "is very eastern". big difference) due to the themes/motifs present. i am not alone with this opinion and there have been plenty of arguments about it in the past.

also i never said that you can't state your opinion, i am against you forcing your views onto others and stating it as a fact instead of stating it as an opinion. you just said "those are not anime", which doesn't contribute to the discussion at all. if you had said "i don't view them as anime, because..." or "i don't think it counts as anime" or "this isn't anime to me" that would have been just fine.

me saying "if others count it as anime, then it is absolutely fine and their choice" was deliberately taken out of context here. with "it" i was CLEARLY refering to avatar and not just any random show. also spongebob and twd are clearly not anime, because they don't deal with the themes/motifs associated to anime at all. i never claimed they could be counted towards anime. stop constructing a strawman here by taking my quotes out of context.