(Suggestion) Detailed HP Bars

WatcherOfSky

So I was playing some pvp, and I came across a couple of Avatar of Frosts. They get that shield and stuff, and I found it a little hard to determine how much damage was needed to get rid of it completely before it would refresh, so I could determine when the best time to go all in was. But there are no numbers on the shield (other than written in his ability set), which can be a little hard to get accustomed to when I haven't seen one in forever.

I've been playing League of Legends for about 8 years, so I've grown accustomed to the way they've set up their health bars.

1306773582_leaguehpbars.png.9c0855d551eb42ec3d034985501557a9.png

It occured to me that we might be able to implement a similar system for our HP bars and shields for units and buildings in out game, so that we can determine how much is left much more accurately and quickly. I know this can be fixed with a lot of experience, but I'd think this would help the newer players more too. My suggestion would be to add a half line for every 100 points of health/shield and a full line for every 1000; just like in LoL. I definately think it could help all kinds of play if it could be implemented at all. (It could also help with damage spells to better determine when to use them) 

What do you guys think?

Edit 1: just realized S units might need something a little different, I don't know.

Edited by WatcherOfSky
Loriens and BurningWorld like this

On 3/24/2019 at 10:32 PM, WatcherOfSky said:

So I was playing some pvp, and I came across a couple of Avatar of Frosts. They get that shield and stuff, and I found it a little hard to determine how much damage was needed to get rid of it completely before it would refresh, so I could determine when the best time to go all in was. But there are no numbers on the shield (other than written in his ability set), which can be a little hard to get accustomed to when I haven't seen one in forever.

I've been playing League of Legends for about 8 years, so I've grown accustomed to the way they've set up their health bars.

1306773582_leaguehpbars.png.9c0855d551eb42ec3d034985501557a9.png

It occured to me that we might be able to implement a similar system for our HP bars and shields for units and buildings in out game, so that we can determine how much is left much more accurately and quickly. I know this can be fixed with a lot of experience, but I'd think this would help the newer players more too. My suggestion would be to add a half line for every 100 points of health/shield and a full line for every 1000; just like in LoL. I definately think it could help all kinds of play if it could be implemented at all. (It could also help with damage spells to better determine when to use them) 

What do you guys think?

Edit 1: just realized S units might need something a little different, I don't know.

I wish I could downvote for that League of Legends Picture, here take my upvote instead! :( 

Edit 1: I just saw your edit 1 and had an idea, what about single health bars just like for minions / creeps (dota ftw) and when you zoom out enough the combine to 1 larger health bar, like a single unit.. I just realized this idea is dumb, coz all small units get the same damage :facepalm: 

Edited by BurningWorld

• 1 month later...

How does this look? I think it looks fine for the S units. I noticed that the health bar of the buildings are quite small, so maybe they should be made bigger :thinking:image.png.1a7c8203dac8518c57ceee2ac9d78764.png

Edited by John

1 hour ago, John said:

How does this look? I think it looks fine for the S units. I noticed that the health bar of the buildings are quite small, so maybe they should be made bigger :thinking:image.png.1a7c8203dac8518c57ceee2ac9d78764.png

Whoa. Impresive.

The one of XLs' looks better to me, don't know what others would say. But what are the numbers? Seems their bar is devided by 1000Hp with 250Hp in each, right? And if it is below 1000, then it is devided by 100Hp each. Interesting, but single standard should be enough. The least Hp of a squad is 260 (U0 Manawing), so 250 Bar is enough, but maybe devide it by 50 smaller ones if total is below or equal 750HP? I mean, look at the Northguards, there are... counts ... 7 wholes and a small part, which is 720HP = 100*7+100*0,2 , but counting them is painful, because they ruffle in the eyes.

All in all it needs a bit of gameplay feedback to see would people like it one or the other way. Maybe even add an option to customise it (the numbers per bar and per unit value), because i think people will fit it to their needs perfectly. I remember doing that via console back in Dota 2, but whatever.

6 hours ago, John said:

Is this actually ingame or just a photoshop job? It took me a while to understand the numbers behind the bars, but I like the concept. However, I think the bars add too much clutter to Northguards and Master Archers. We would need to see this in action, naturally.

While cool, this feature should be added with a lot of care. Imho, such a feature should be use-case driven. For exmaple, fire T1 would benefit from separted health bars because it helps determining when an Eruption results in an instant kill. The same applies to other factions (like heals for Nature). Which leaves the question what the optimal box-size is. I think 250 is too smal for a single bar and 500 is too big. I guess the option of customizing your health bars would be a sensible option as well.

Is it actually possible to adjust the total length of the health bar for individual units? Imo, it would make sense for Rifle Cultists to have a visually larger health bar than other units. I'm afraid that many small bars next to each other for s-creatures will lower readability.

On another note: This would be extremely useful for units with an "ability bar", such as Death Rays or Tortuguns. If you could quantify their bar you would make reasoning about their abilities much easier. In fact, I think this feature is best served for ability bars (also including the Avatar of Frost, as op stated). Health indication is rather secondary.

Just my 50 cents.

6 hours ago, Chimaka( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Whoa. Impresive.

The one of XLs' looks better to me, don't know what others would say. But what are the numbers? Seems their bar is devided by 1000Hp with 250Hp in each, right? And if it is below 1000, then it is devided by 100Hp each. Interesting, but single standard should be enough. The least Hp of a squad is 260 (U0 Manawing), so 250 Bar is enough, but maybe devide it by 50 smaller ones if total is below or equal 750HP? I mean, look at the Northguards, there are... counts ... 7 wholes and a small part, which is 720HP = 100*7+100*0,2 , but counting them is painful, because they ruffle in the eyes.

All in all it needs a bit of gameplay feedback to see would people like it one or the other way. Maybe even add an option to customise it (the numbers per bar and per unit value), because i think people will fit it to their needs perfectly. I remember doing that via console back in Dota 2, but whatever.

The way I did it right now is to have one big line each for 1k HP (this will also scale logarithmically for 10k, 100k, etc. HP). For the small lines, I will add an option in the options menu where you can choose how much health they represent.  In the picture the small lines represent 200 HP. Currently, if there is not enough space for the smaller lines, I just don't add them (see Comet Catcher), I don't know if that's ideal though.

43 minutes ago, ImaginaryNumb3r said:

Is this actually ingame or just a photoshop job? It took me a while to understand the numbers behind the bars, but I like the concept. However, I think the bars add too much clutter to Northguards and Master Archers. We would need to see this in action, naturally.

While cool, this feature should be added with a lot of care. Imho, such a feature should be use-case driven. For exmaple, fire T1 would benefit from separted health bars because it helps determining when an Eruption results in an instant kill. The same applies to other factions (like heals for Nature). Which leaves the question what the optimal box-size is. I think 250 is too smal for a single bar and 500 is too big. I guess the option of customizing your health bars would be a sensible option as well.

Is it actually possible to adjust the total length of the health bar for individual units? Imo, it would make sense for Rifle Cultists to have a visually larger health bar than other units. I'm afraid that many small bars next to each other for s-creatures will lower readability.

On another note: This would be extremely useful for units with an "ability bar", such as Death Rays or Tortuguns. If you could quantify their bar you would make reasoning about their abilities much easier. In fact, I think this feature is best served for ability bars (also including the Avatar of Frost, as op stated). Health indication is rather secondary.

Just my 50 cents.

This is actually ingame What do you think about the version below? I think that one looks less cluttered. Unfortunately adjusting the total length is only possible for S/M/L/XL units in general.

My biggest concern right now is that this feature might be too hard for lower-end PCs, but I tried to make it as performance-friendly as possible.
AQkLwZH.jpg

Here is what it looks like for monuments and power wells:

image.png

Edited by John

I see, very nice job! It looks much cleaner to me now, the adjusted health bar size is also an improvement. Still, I would try to increase the small lines to 250. And maybe slightly lower the size of the small ticks. At first, you think that the Avatar of Frost has as much health as he does shielding. Don't want to sound nitpicky, but in games details do matter :P

May I ask how you have implemented this? Can you actually control every pixel of the health bar or are you just applying some kind of texture on the health bar? I wasn't aware you could control such details.

4 hours ago, John said:

My biggest concern right now is that this feature might be too hard for lower-end PCs

Can you just make it optional? I know there are players with "things" I would not even call a PC these days, and they are happy to play run BF on it.

11 hours ago, ImaginaryNumb3r said:

I see, very nice job! It looks much cleaner to me now, the adjusted health bar size is also an improvement. Still, I would try to increase the small lines to 250. And maybe slightly lower the size of the small ticks. At first, you think that the Avatar of Frost has as much health as he does shielding. Don't want to sound nitpicky, but in games details do matter :P

May I ask how you have implemented this? Can you actually control every pixel of the health bar or are you just applying some kind of texture on the health bar? I wasn't aware you could control such details.

I will make it a tiny bit smaller :) Every line you see on the health bar is a very small black widget, I am adding them after the health bar is created.

7 hours ago, Kubik said:

Can you just make it optional? I know there are players with "things" I would not even call a PC these days, and they are happy to play run BF on it.

It is optional, yes.

ImaginaryNumb3r and ikke2902 like this

Whoa (◕ ›—‹ ◕ )

I think we need standards that show what does each bar mean, etc (details). Also, this should be added as a tutorial tips (somehow...), because people will get the overall idea (many of people has seen that health bar stuff), but not the detailed information.

Now last thing is left to do is to allow casting a card through a healthbar (rn you can't). Although it helps to aim a trageted buff to a choosen squad without aiming its model (which is a pain for a flying squad), so i don't really know should it be allowed or not...

Hello Developer Team and Skylords! 

I saw this thread by helping out @John on this idea by sending him some replays of RPVE 9-10 to see how the updated HP bar would effect the vision of the player and the overall  gameplay. I like this idea alot but on the other hand , i think that some players could be confused by trying to count the HP bars of the units or some players just dont care that much about the HP bar that is shared into sections. So i came to the suggestion (if its possible) that we could just add numbers to the HP bar , that (in my case)  would be much easier to look up fast for the player instead of counting the HP bar. The idea in my mind is the following: The idea that came to my mind is that we could give numbers to the life bar, where there are two numbers. The left number is the number from which the damage is subtracted, and the right number is the number of the value of the total life of the unit. For big numbers, you could just add "K" and "M" instead of writing the  whole number. 1.000=1k  , 10.000=10k  ,  1.000.000 = 1M. It would be alot easier for the player to look at the total amount of HP that the Unit has and at the falling numbers that comes from the dmg of your units. Feel free to add somthing to my idea or add critics to it. Im looking forward for your opinion as devolopers and players on my idea. :hype:

MrDanilov, ikke2902 and El Toupe like this