CCC#11 - Meme-fy BattleForge

Kapo

Hello Skylords, Skyladies and other Skybeings; and welcome to CCC #11 – the eleventh Crappy Community Contest!

What are “Crappy Community Contests”?

CCC's are meant to be small-scale contests with weird challenges, hopefully luring you away from well-trodden paths. They are small-scale on the organizers side too: there will be no stream, video, or event announcing the winners. What's special about these contests is a participation price for the whole Skylords community.

What, when, where, how?

While CCC's are now well known for varying gameplay contests, every once in a while it is time to do something for developing the community, like the Screenshot Contest, Contest-Contest or Card Idea contest (which even became official). And, to be honest, I have identified a real shame for our community – let's try to fix this together:

Meme-fy BattleForge

no BF gifs.png
You see a barren land, void of any options.

This challenge is to submit an animated GIF
to get the community some BattleForge options for Discord.

On our Discord there is a wide range of memes used, but there is not a single BattleForge or Skylords Reborn option on the GIF-Keyboard to chose from – literally NOTHING. I hope many of you agree that our beloved game has some meme-worthy content. You are allowed to enter with up to two different ideas.

The only limitation placed on your ideas is that it must be an ANIMATION, so it fits the database (Tenor) that Discord is using. Here are some examples of what anyone could easily come up with (thanks to @Ultralord for helping with those!):

Difficulty to make this: VERY easy

battleforge-skylords-reborn-viridya-angry.gif

Difficulty to make this: Easy

battleforge-skylords-reborn-orb-rainbow.gif

Difficulty to make this: Medium

battleforge-skylords-reborn-juggernaut-booster.gif

By entering, you are giving permission to upload and use your entry on Tenor, as well as the SR Team using it on Social Media. Your entries will be judged by a well-known three-person jury: @Dutchy, @Majora and @Ultralord. The jurors will receive the entries from me in an anonymized format.

If you submit two entries, you will receive only the highest tier prize. The contest has started with the release of this post – submit your entry through Discord (DM to Kapo#0116) or the Skylords Forum (DM to @Kapo) until 03.07.2023 23:59 CEST  (= 8 days time total). As already said, you may submit up to two entries.

Inspiration and tips

Some information that you might find helpful:

Spoiler

• Don't think too complicated! If you just make a screen-capture of a rPvE-game and let Inferno rain down on the enemies, you might already have a cool clip we need. Remember: NOTHING exists right now.

• Simple meme content is not just allowed, it's encouraged. BattleForge has a wide range of characters showing different emotions during the campaign. An angry Brannoc, a chilling Mo, an unwilling-to-die Blight... 

• There are alot of online resources that will make your life easier. It is as simple as combining a screen-capture software (like OBS) with the EZ-GIF-Maker website, and you are done.

What's the price pool?

Since this is not just a Crappy Contest, but a Crappy Community Contest, you may help with your participation to earn a price for the whole Community. If we reach more than 15 participants (unique players, not entries), we will unlock a Mini-Booster code for the entire Skylords Community. So tell your fellow Skylords to submit and idea – it's an occasion to contribute to future events, and it raises our chances to hand out a code for everybody. 

Of course, the best ideas will get prices too, split up into a grand prize, as well as Gold and Silver tier winners.

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp30.pngPlatinum Tier                  Swamp Drake Promo for the best entry
misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp22.pngGold Tier                         2 Boosters (limited to a maximum of 5 Gold tier winners)
misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp14.pngSilver Tier                        1 Booster (limited to a maximum of 10 Silver tier winners)

Sponsors

If one or more mighty Skylord(s) decides to sponsor this event, please contact me. You can make a "Kapo's Choice" type of award and select an extra-winner yourself, or task the Jury to curate something like "best LOL meme" or "best angry meme", or whatever you like.

The following prices have been sponsored so far:

Skylords Team          General Boosters (up to x20), Community Booster Code
@Kapo                Swamp Drake Promo 

Conclusion

Skylords Reborn is a community project, so we as a community should be involved in the way we can – this is an opportunity for it. 

Good luck, I hope you enjoy spinning some ideas, and I'm hyped for what GIFs you guys will come up with!

Kapo

Future Events - get involved!

If you are interested in helping with these (or better) kinds of events for the community, or want to host one yourself, don't be afraid and simply reach out! Contact our Event Managers @nukie@Minashigo Hiko and/or @Metagross31 on the forums or discord. They are happy to assist you with upcoming events and with sponsoring your prize pool!

If you especially like this small-scale-format, and you have an idea for it, you may also contact me directly to discuss your idea and host your own Crappy Community Contest.

Edited by Kapo
Ultralord, Volin, Carofex and 2 others like this

• Kapo changed the title to CCC#11 - Meme-fy BattleForge
  • Kapo pinned and featured this topic

The contest ended! The jury will start their deliberations these days.

Bad news first: Though we got 19 submissions - some of them are really awesome - they came from only 12 different participants, so we sadly missed the mark for a Booster code. Creative contests always draw fewer participants, but I'm still already happy with the results, and the Discord will be populated with some really cool GIFs very soon. 👍

Not the contests many people wanted, but the contest we needed 😉

1 hour ago, Kapo said:

The contest ended! The jury will start their deliberations these days.

Bad news first: Though we got 19 submissions - some of them are really awesome - they came from only 12 different participants, so we sadly missed the mark for a Booster code. Creative contests always draw fewer participants, but I'm still already happy with the results, and the Discord will be populated with some really cool GIFs very soon. 👍

Not the contests many people wanted, but the contest we needed 😉

Shame about the boosters, my goblin brain is sad 😄  But honestly, not that surprising. Personally, hardest part for me was not the idea, but working out how to create it. I really suck at anything picture/video related, lack the programs (and reaaaally don't like getting new stuff for single/one off project). But somehow pulled through 🧐

Kapo likes this

On 7/6/2023 at 7:28 AM, Carofex said:

maybe give us two weeks more time next time when its about creative stuff.

I agree

8 days for some creative contest it definitely too short. This may work for regular contests like PvE challenges or CCCs. For creative contests however, there are just more factors at play. I spent like more than 8 hours to create my submission and this was during a phase I had more free time. The groundwork is laid out for you in events where you have to play a specific map with certain restrictions. I assume several players spent some time coming up with a meme worthy of submission and by the time they wanted to create it, they only had 3 days or so left. Some were most certainly held back by the time frame.

Should be 14 days minimum.

Edited by Bini Inibitor
Metagross31 and Kapo like this

Skylords!

The Jury has ended their deliberations, so it is time to reveal who made it into the winner tiers of the CCC#11:

Note: Some of those are quite large in size - sorry for everyone with a slow connection. I added spoiler tags around the entries so you can view one by one.

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp22.pngGold Tier - @Bini Inibitor - Slav Squad

Spoiler

1751725453_Entry3-RifleCultists.gif

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp22.pngGold Tier - @Hrdina_Imperia - Unpopular Opinion

Spoiler

1004991613_Entry14-UnpopularOpinion.gif

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp22.pngGold Tier - @pierakor - Lost Good

Spoiler

1602160321_Entry18-LostGood.gif

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp14.pngSilver Tier - @Metagross31 - Construct

Spoiler

359771998_Entry5-Construct.gif

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp14.pngSilver Tier - @Volin - Ouch!

Spoiler

938104200_Entry10-Ouch!.gif

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp14.pngSilver Tier - @Redmark- I see dead people

Spoiler

Entry #12 - I see dead people.gif

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp14.pngSilver Tier - @Dolewan - Loading Screen

Spoiler

1928749523_Entry16-Loadingscreen.gif

misc_s_postgame_playerrank_pvp14.pngSilver Tier - @pierakor - Clapping

Spoiler

583549662_Entry19-Clapping.gif

Besides those tiered prizes, I have talked to the SR Team, and since we got no Booster Code this time I wanted to still honour those who participated in some form - they will receive a Mini Booster. 

Prices will be sent out as soon as possible.

Final Words

First, I'd like to thank the jury again for doing their duty - especially on the creative contests it can be an ungrateful work. Please be civil if you disagree with their judgement.

In the upcoming days, all entries will be uploaded to Tenor, so you can access them inside Discord.

Creative Contests are usually low in participation, but I think some of the entries speak for themselves that it was worth doing it. Not the contest the masses want, but the contest we as a community need.

Next up in the CCC will be something more mainstream again, I promise! 😃

Edited by Kapo

9 hours ago, Bini Inibitor said:

When the entries are all so bad, they simply skipped platinum.

Doesn't mean they are bad, the three Gold Tier winners (including you) are already very good entries.

I wasn't part of this jury and didn't join their deliberations, but the process is usually setup in a way that you set "standards" what you expect from the tiers and after that you review the entries. On creative contests, it is quite arbitrary where to draw the line, you can either do that (very? too?) loosely or set some (hard? harsh?) standards beforehand, usually it ends up somewhere in between that. But it can always be argued afterwards that you could have moved either harsher or more loose. 

But what I'm 100% sure is that its no good if you move in with "we have to have a 1st place winner". That compromises the whole process too much right from the start.

Dutchy, Hrdina_Imperia, Dran and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, Kapo said:

But what I'm 100% sure is that its no good if you move in with "we have to have a 1st place winner". That compromises the whole process too much right from the start.

All good, I'm just joking. 😬
I wouldn't be able to choose a "1st place winner" in good faith. And especially in creative contests like these I think it's better this way.

Dutchy and Kapo like this

6 hours ago, Carofex said:

Maybe repeat the CCC11 with more time some day?

Maybe 😃

Or maybe we should find a way how the community can contribute more then GIFs, also Screenshots and whatnot in an easy way... Maybe we can take some time to ponder about that.

In other news:

All prizes have been sent out. This concludes all business concerning the Crappy Community Contest #11.

Edited by Kapo

• Majora unfeatured and unpinned this topic