June 2022 Patch - Feedback Thread

WindHunter

Hello everyone,

It has been a week now since the patch has released, and while this is not exactly a long time, I wanted to open a discussion and encourage everyone to provide feedback on the changes we have made to the game. Below are some of the topics of which we are most interested in soliciting feedback, though feel free to offer any suggestions regarding the patch and the current direction of the game. 

Do you like the changes to card and factions? Why or why not? Where did we hit the mark, and implement something exciting you'd like to see more of? Where did you miss the mark and what should we avoid in the future? Do you enjoy the new cards, are they balanced?

What do you think of the map changes? Are you happy or unhappy to see changes to original maps? Would you like to see more such changes or less? Is playing Fire RPvE a better experience now?

What do you think of the new PvP features? What do you think of the new achievements? Do you have any suggestions for future features, achievements, or changes along these lines?

DefAnske and Dallarian like this

QoL PvP features were exacly what was needed, it already have put a bit more breath into PvP, and when people learn when Happy Hours are, weekends will be insane for PvP content.

I would like to complain about release date, though. As a {GM} myself I was aware there was no physical possibility for patch to happen earlier, however, "Sometime on weekend" shouldn't turn out to be Sunday afternoon, that is too late. It is important to publish a patch so that wide audience can enjoy it, therefore the patch should happen earlier.

Some game companies release patches on Fridays, or sometimes even on Thurstdays, so they can hotfix the patch on Friday or early Saturday before server's peaktime, so that many players can enjoy high quality service.

I haven't tried the new cards yet, however, I reforged some trash into Wasteland Terror, so I am going to put it in my Enli deck, next to Transcendence.
See you in the forge.

4 hours ago, Dallarian said:

I would like to complain about release date, though. As a {GM} myself I was aware there was no physical possibility for patch to happen earlier, however, "Sometime on weekend" shouldn't turn out to be Sunday afternoon, that is too late. It is important to publish a patch so that wide audience can enjoy it, therefore the patch should happen earlier.

Some game companies release patches on Fridays, or sometimes even on Thurstdays, so they can hotfix the patch on Friday or early Saturday before server's peaktime, so that many players can enjoy high quality service. Meaning possibly with our possibilities, the patch should be 99% finished a weekend before scheduled release date.

While I agree that we should have just communicated Sunday instead of the vague ''weekend of'' to manage expectations better, the idea was to have everything finished the weekend before. But, as always, some appear-easy-to-do-changes ended taking up way more time than expected. We have been working our ass off for the last few weeks, including a massive crunch on the last weekend, and Sunday afternoon was the closest we could get, with a release on Monday probably being better for our sanity (but we didnt want to break our promise). 

Time management continues to be a struggle for a project with 30+ teammembers who all work in their free time. As coordinator, I hope to help the team make improvements in this area, which is also a reason the community updates will move to a monthly schedule, since the double role resulted in me not having enough time to spend as much attention to this as I would have liked. 

I completely understand players want to spend the whole weekend playing instead of waiting for a patch. On the other side of the curtain, we spend that whole weekend working, on top of our normal work week. So while I think the criticism is valid, please keep in mind this is not your average game company. We don't get paid, or get anything in return for our work. This is a group of people who all have other responsibilities on the side, sometimes unexpected.

So while I agree that a patch time of sunday afternoon if you communicate ''the weekend off'' was not the right move, I am extremely proud of the team and their hard work and that we were able to keep our promise. 

Dallarian and Dutchy like this

• Zyna pinned and featured this topic

Hi,

Im not happy with the changes made to Fire rPvE. It was way too easy before the Patch and now its even easier. The only thing i like is the Abaddon nerf because he was very OP.

The Spawn Waves are weaker many Bosses and Units have been nerfed and Flame Crystal really makes no difference because fire units die way too fast.

Fire Crystal should provide permanent CC immunity until destroyed and even then he wouldnt make much of a difference because players would immediately focus him and then cast CC spells.

The thing that bugs me the most about rPvE lvl 9 Fire are the weak T2 T3 and T4 bases, getting to T4 is no challenge at all its just boring usually its even easier than Bandits.

Last week i played 4 player rPvE 9 vs Fire with a completely new and clueless player on my side, i was on Pos 3 and he was on Pos 4.He almost cleared T3 alone with just Master Archers and Northguards that was ridiculous.

Considering lvl 9 is the second hardest difficulty setting for rPvE every faction, not just Fire should be as hard as Lost Souls, maybe even a bit harder.

The gap between lvl 9 and 10 is just way too big, for lvl 10 you need very good players that work together especially for the harder maps, but most lvl 9 maps can easily be won with any players and any deck. 

There should really be a difficulty level between 9 and 10 or maybe a "hard mode" option for lvl 9 that is very hard(like LS with vigils at T3) but can be won with random players.

Pulsar likes this

5 hours ago, Fundus said:

It was way too easy before the Patch

Oh no not again please...

There should really be a difficulty level between 9 and 10

I'll say gently that this is probably the only true thing about the above post. But I haven't played much against fire since patch, and so far only in my static premade group, so can't judge it conclusively yet.

Perhaps fire has indeed been trimmed too much, but to deny alone that fire rpve was out of balance is already absurd.

Last week i played 4 player rPvE 9 vs Fire with a completely new and clueless player on my side, i was on Pos 3 and he was on Pos 4.He almost cleared T3 alone with just Master Archers and Northguards

Sorry, but I wonder - on the one hand fire is way to easy, so you must be one of the best rpve players ever around. On the other hand you play on the inner position and are slower than new and clueless player that has to fight at least 2 extra units and give him the time to clear T3 alone. Something is wrong with this story. 🧐

Considering lvl 9 is the second hardest difficulty setting for rPvE every faction, not just Fire should be as hard as Lost Souls, maybe even a bit harder.

However, if this is your requirement, I don't think you understand balancing. Everyone agrees that the jump from 9s to 10s is too far - but it was never the goal to create a faction with Fire that is harder than Lost Souls. Balancing comes from balance. And don't get me wrong, I actually like to fight Lost Souls. But it is a considerable denial of reality paired with strong egoism to see this as a measure for the general balancing.

If 9s are obviously too easy for you, a player like you who found Fire way too easy should just play more 10s.

48 minutes ago, Volin said:

you must be one of the best rpve players ever around

denial of reality paired with strong egoism to see this as a measure for the general balancing

Seriously what did i do to deserve such an aggressive response? Im not trying to show off and I never said im one of the best players in fact im a pretty average player. Im just sharing my thoughts.

On the other hand you play on the inner position and are slower than new and clueless player that has to fight at least 2 extra units and give him the time to clear T3 alone. Something is wrong with this story.

When im using my Harvester deck i always choose position 2 or 3 because at position 1 or 4 i almost never get the chance to spawn a Harvester either because of a close T3 or because it simply takes too long and my teammate gets impatient.

In that particular game i was waiting for 300 Power while my teammate spawned units at his T1, then he rushed T3 and i helped him with Undead Army because i had no time to spawn Harvester. I think he could even have made it without my help.

If 9s are obviously too easy for you, a player like you who found Fire way too easy should just play more 10s

Like i said im not a pro Player and i usually really struggle with lvl 10 maps especially when i dont have a teammate who can help me. Another problem with lvl 10 is that it is pretty hard to find Players at least when im playing.

Thats why i think it would be a good idea to add a difficulty level between 9 and 10 which is challenging but can be won with random players like hard lvl 9 Lost Souls maps.

Edited by Fundus

For me the biggest motivation boost were the achievments!

Since I mostly play cPvE there is limited content in BF so different challenges that limit the cards you can use in the campains make the game interesting again, especially if there are rewards for it. The 100k Gold reward for the fire questline felt kinda bad tho compared to the others.

On the other hand I was done with them within a few days, but since it filled up the forge again it made the whole game more interesting again.

Maybe it would be an idea to create some kind of seasonal achievment system (for like 2-3 months) to keep cPvE players coming back .

In my opinion the changes to the maps were not that noticable. It felt more like some quality of life changes then some gamebreaking news, I dont think they were really necessary but they dont hurt either.

Now to the new cards: I absolutly love what you guys did with bandits! Not only the Wasteland Terror, but also the Minefield, Banzai Lord and the Bandit Sniper feel super rewarding in what they are supposed to do. I always liked the bandit theme, but the gameplay was just missing something, I think the only kind of bad state from bandit units is now on t3 but that can be balanced with the very strong t3 of fire or shaddow.

WindHunter likes this

Thank you for all the feedback so far and please continue to give it. We also have an active discussion on this topic ongoing over in our balance discord which we invite everyone to check out: Skylords Balance Discord

As regards Fire RPvE:
Our map team received a substantial amount of feedback over the last few months and the vast majority of players, of every skill level, told us two things: The damage was overwhelming and too punishing for some decks, while the faction was a wet noodle against decks with powerful CC. We aimed then to remedy this situation with the changes made, which experienced a very long testing period with a lot number of our map testers. If anyone wants to join this Map Tester group, we are always looking for more help!

About Achievements:
I am glad to see the overwhelming support we have had with our new achievement set, both here, in-game, and on discord. We are currently looking into ways to carry this momentum forward and continue to add more replayability and end game content to the game. This is one of my top priorities right now.

4 hours ago, DefAnske said:

Now to the new cards: I absolutely love what you guys did with bandits! Not only the Wasteland Terror, but also the Minefield, Banzai Lord and the Bandit Sniper feel super rewarding in what they are supposed to do. I always liked the bandit theme, but the gameplay was just missing something, I think the only kind of bad state from bandit units is now on t3 but that can be balanced with the very strong t3 of fire or shadow.

Really glad you enjoy the changes. We are currently looking into some follow-up changes for Corsair, Sandstorm, Tortugun, Amok, and even Waystation. These likely will not have high priority (ie. likely not coming next patch) given how much love we have shown Bandits in recent patches, but once they are finished I think we will have achieved something pretty wonderful with the faction overall. In many ways, Bandits is an image of what we want to do with each faction. It contains multiple archetypes and has viable strategies for all levels of play.

Majora and DefAnske like this

9 hours ago, WindHunter said:

We are currently looking into some follow-up changes for Corsair, Sandstorm, Tortugun, Amok, and even Waystation. These likely will not have high priority (ie. likely not coming next patch) given how much love we have shown Bandits in recent patches, but once they are finished I think we will have achieved something pretty wonderful with the faction overall. In many ways, Bandits is an image of what we want to do with each faction. It contains multiple archetypes and has viable strategies for all levels of play.

Looking foward for it, i am a patient mind 🙂

Keep up the great work!