Jump to content

Meta achievements for promos


Recommended Posts

Since promos are almost impossible to get without feeling extremely lucky with opening boosters or grinding BFP until your eyes pop out, i was thinking if it would be possible to add meta achievements for getting promos as a reward. Those achievements would be basically like Among the Old Gods achievement, where you do the full campaign on expert difficulty, but this time it would be with one specification or more. Like for example if you and other players were to do a full campaign on Expert difficulty maps with nothing but Pure Shadow deck (that means no legendary cards either), then you'd get Harvester and Fallen Skyelf promos as a reward. Or if you and others in the team were to do a full campaign with only Pure Nature deck, you'd get Razorleaf and Swamp Drake promos as a reward.  Legendary promos would have extra specification i think, but currently i can't think of which would make getting those promos all the more rewarding to get.

This would not only invite replayability, but would also force players from sticking to cheesy, hybrid decks that makes playing even Expert maps less interesting, if not dare say boring, and would provide challenge by playing with a single element deck which is a rarity to see ingame. Hope you at least consider this suggestion and implement it in a way to see fit :)

DefAnske likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SoulLord said:

Since promos are almost impossible to get without feeling extremely lucky with opening boosters or grinding BFP until your eyes pop out, i was thinking if it would be possible to add meta achievements for getting promos as a reward. Those achievements would be basically like Among the Old Gods achievement, where you do the full campaign on expert difficulty, but this time it would be with one specification or more. Like for example if you and other players were to do a full campaign on Expert difficulty maps with nothing but Pure Shadow deck (that means no legendary cards either), then you'd get Harvester and Fallen Skyelf promos as a reward. Or if you and others in the team were to do a full campaign with only Pure Nature deck, you'd get Razorleaf and Swamp Drake promos as a reward.  Legendary promos would have extra specification i think, but currently i can't think of which would make getting those promos all the more rewarding to get.

This would not only invite replayability, but would also force players from sticking to cheesy, hybrid decks that makes playing even Expert maps less interesting, if not dare say boring, and would provide challenge by playing with a single element deck which is a rarity to see ingame. Hope you at least consider this suggestion and implement it in a way to see fit 🙂

We are looking into ways to reward players for doing those kind of things, but we are currently not planning to distribute promo's in this way, since part of the appeal is the fact that they are hard to come by.

Its a tricky subject though, the latest survey showed very mixed feelings regarding promo's and their prices.

 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know if it was on the forums or the discord, but we discussed somewhere that it would be nice to introduce new/different promos for completing all expert maps with pure colors. Think Promo Shaman for Nature, Promo Frost Mage for Frost etc.

So you can show off that you are a master of that faction. That take many players to new journies, mastering factions they didnt care much before. A carrot on a stick to try out new things, while not devaluating promos/making a big change to the current economy.

DefAnske and Dallarian like this
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doomsword87 said:

sounds like a spell of a change There, You can get them on the auction house You Know?

No shit lol. My point of this entire topic is to implement a more fun way to get promos, rather than grind your soul out until you finally get that one promo, let alone ten other promos you need to grind out and get.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

We are looking into ways to reward players for doing those kind of things, but we are currently not planning to distribute promo's in this way, since part of the appeal is the fact that they are hard to come by.

Its a tricky subject though, the latest survey showed very mixed feelings regarding promo's and their prices.

 

image.png

I understand and respect your point, but the reason why the survey showed such results (in my opinion and from personal experience ingame anyway) is that they are waaay too hard to come by. As i've pointed out, you need to either have a Gladstone Gander level of luck to get them from opening boosters, or you need to grind an gratuitous amount of BFP to get that one expensive promo you wanted, let alone several of them, both methods which are not fun at all, especially the grind part. That is why i suggested to implement a more accessible, yet fun way to work hard for them, like the meta, aka end game achievements that i pointed out for example, where you have to play with specific element decks etc.

1 hour ago, Kapo said:

I dont know if it was on the forums or the discord, but we discussed somewhere that it would be nice to introduce new/different promos for completing all expert maps with pure colors. Think Promo Shaman for Nature, Promo Frost Mage for Frost etc.

So you can show off that you are a master of that faction. That take many players to new journies, mastering factions they didnt care much before. A carrot on a stick to try out new things, while not devaluating promos/making a big change to the current economy.

Yeah exactly. One disagreement though is the promo part. I respect your idea for new promos and preserving economy balance for them, but personally i'd put promos like Razorleaf, Construct, Juggernaut etc., because they are the type of cards that really fills you with that catharsis and sense of accomplishment after you've worked your butt off to complete the achievements for them. I mean, they are essentially a reskins of original cards, so it wouldn't be a total loss if you ask me 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kapo said:

I dont know if it was on the forums or the discord, but we discussed somewhere that it would be nice to introduce new/different promos for completing all expert maps with pure colors. Think Promo Shaman for Nature, Promo Frost Mage for Frost etc.

So you can show off that you are a master of that faction. That take many players to new journies, mastering factions they didnt care much before. A carrot on a stick to try out new things, while not devaluating promos/making a big change to the current economy.

i want the promo skyfire drake for fire! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eeeh ... that survey result comes with a hefty caveat, really. It's basically asking "The shiny thing is very rare. Would you like it to be less so, so you could also more easily have the shiny thing?" Obviously a decent chunk of people will say yes to that, regardless of what the state the rarity actually is.

Promos should just be eye-candy. As far as the Twilight-edition promos you, you don't need them and you never will. The only one that could be argued as enabling something meaningful is the promo Construct, for a Construct-deck. But that's just as easily done with Offering and Rifle Cultists. All the other ones have irrelevant gameplay implications, so what's the big deal? Well, speaking of tangible upsides for promos they have the unfortunate gameplay implications of allowing the regular version and the promo version of a card to be in a deck at the same time. Again, most of the time that's irrelevant but for neutral cards it supports a new deck archetype in the legendary-deck with Ravenheart and possibly also Mo. A problematically high price tag for a deck. But also more of a novelty deck as well, so it's not too bad.

Sure, since video games are a visual medium the aesthetics are important. But it's not like the base-versions look like shit. I can also understand the desire to "show off" seems fulfilled in a more meaningful way if it's tied to personal accomplishments instead of getting lucky or slamming a fistful of cash on the table.

But here is a question you didn't consider: What purpose do promos serve for the game right now?

Well, the follow up question is: Where do you get promos from? You get them from boosters. Exclusively from boosters. Which means if more promos are to enter the game, then boosters have to be opened. And that's an absolutely fundamental part of the game. People have to keep opening boosters for the entire show to run. You already regularly see people arguing that you'd be better off to just buy from the AH straight up. Well, the supply has to come from somewhere. And while regular cards naturally serve as a draw, the fact that you can also ONLY get promos from opening lots of boosters provides vital additional incentive.

I do however agree that the game currently lacks long-term goals for players to work towards. I also agree that a stale meta is rather detrimental to the overall health of the game and makes people miss the wealth of options the intended boundaries offer, making it instead seem shallow and solved, hence less interesting. But the position of promos does not have to be undermined or changed in order to work on that.

Volin likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cocofang said:

Eeeh ... that survey result comes with a hefty caveat, really. It's basically asking "The shiny thing is very rare. Would you like it to be less so, so you could also more easily have the shiny thing?" Obviously a decent chunk of people will say yes to that, regardless of what the state the rarity actually is.

Promos should just be eye-candy. As far as the Twilight-edition promos you, you don't need them and you never will. The only one that could be argued as enabling something meaningful is the promo Construct, for a Construct-deck. But that's just as easily done with Offering and Rifle Cultists. All the other ones have irrelevant gameplay implications, so what's the big deal? Well, speaking of tangible upsides for promos they have the unfortunate gameplay implications of allowing the regular version and the promo version of a card to be in a deck at the same time. Again, most of the time that's irrelevant but for neutral cards it supports a new deck archetype in the legendary-deck with Ravenheart and possibly also Mo. A problematically high price tag for a deck. But also more of a novelty deck as well, so it's not too bad.

Sure, since video games are a visual medium the aesthetics are important. But it's not like the base-versions look like shit. I can also understand the desire to "show off" seems fulfilled in a more meaningful way if it's tied to personal accomplishments instead of getting lucky or slamming a fistful of cash on the table.

But here is a question you didn't consider: What purpose do promos serve for the game right now?

Well, the follow up question is: Where do you get promos from? You get them from boosters. Exclusively from boosters. Which means if more promos are to enter the game, then boosters have to be opened. And that's an absolutely fundamental part of the game. People have to keep opening boosters for the entire show to run. You already regularly see people arguing that you'd be better off to just buy from the AH straight up. Well, the supply has to come from somewhere. And while regular cards naturally serve as a draw, the fact that you can also ONLY get promos from opening lots of boosters provides vital additional incentive.

I do however agree that the game currently lacks long-term goals for players to work towards. I also agree that a stale meta is rather detrimental to the overall health of the game and makes people miss the wealth of options the intended boundaries offer, making it instead seem shallow and solved, hence less interesting. But the position of promos does not have to be undermined or changed in order to work on that.

What purpose do they serve you ask? None in a long run, since they are literally reskins, but they are still there ingame, waiting to be put in someone's collection, and for collectors that's reason enough for them to gun for every single promo in the game, even the ones with overly bloated prices. But you make a good point, by opening boosters you can easily sustain the market by people selling extra cards they don't need. If anything, it would be great to at least up the drop chance of promos by a smidge or two, so it would be a total casino dice roll.

Glad that we at least both agree on the lack of long-term goals for the game, but i think those are well covered with plethora of ideas suggested in Quest &  Achievement suggestions megathread, in addition to my suggestion in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would personally prefer, if the old promos from back in the day stayed how they are - super rare special drops from boosters, which get super expensive.
But I also like the idea of adding new promos as kind of special rewards - similar to the promo snapjaws. But again, don't make them too inflationary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kubik said:

And I would like "promo = skin" instead of "promo = different card" but that is not going to happen 😢

I assume promos have to have a different card ID than their regular version? So being able to put both the normal- and promo-version of a card into the deck will always be possible unless some major breakthrough in reverse engineering happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use