Armored Tower - Upcoming Changes

WindHunter

As part of our upcoming tower rebalance, Armored Tower will be receiving the following proposed changes. Please note that all changes proposed here are provisional and as such as subject to change:

Iteration 1
1. Ice Bolt splash radius: 5m --> 8m
2. Gift of Ice Rework
   A. Now grants Ice Shields instead of damage reduction, Ice Shields apply to walls
   B. Permanent mode-change instead of timed, can be swapped back to attack mode anytime.
   C. New Description: "Grants an Ice Shield every 3 seconds to friendly entities in a 25m radius without. Each Ice Shield absorbs up to 450 / 550 / 700 / 880 damage for 30 seconds. Target cannot currently have an Ice Shield. Lasts until deactivated."

Iteration 1 Goals
Armored Tower has a particularly small splash radius for a T3 tower so we are increasing it to reduce the possibility of it missing moving targets and dealing reduced damage to M-size squad units such as Bandit Lancers. We have decided to move a different direction with the ability to allow Armored Tower to take on a full support role. Right now, Armored Tower's damage reduction overlaps with both Glaciation and Ward of the North. By changing to Ice Shields and allowing the mode change to remain indefinitely without needing to be reactivated, Armored Tower can act as a continual sustain tool for T3 Frost defenses. With the current numbers, one Armored Tower will be able to provide up to 10 targets with an Ice Shield over a 30 second period. Additionally, we have added the unique ability for Armored Tower to apply Ice Shields to wall segments. This will stack with Glaciation's damage reduction and provide a niche defense option in some campaign maps and the upcoming defensive random PvE.

C. New Description: "Grants an Ice Shield every 3 seconds to friendly entities in a 25m radius without. Each Ice Shield absorbs up to 450 / 550 / 700 / 880 damage for 30 seconds. Target cannot currently have an Ice Shield. Lasts until deactivated."

Is the shield applied on activation, on a global timer or on a local timer?

If instant, this is strictly busted.

If on a local timer (entity timer), the description is okay, but maybe better of with a statement about initial cooldown.

If in a global timer (map timer), pls no. 😄

seems interesting esp if people use a slot for ice age but it is disappointing that it is being balanced past comboing with ward of the north. the main argument against ward buffs has been that it effects structures but now this strat will be more useful considering free shields over time and increasing efficiency so long as you maintain ice age as the tower creates more shields. i guess maybe this could be another reason why ward needs buffs but idk the whole t3 strats for frost is very muddled yet

Being it automative sounds to be a great aspect. I used to spam those on Mo & Nightmare's End, and having to switch into the mode every time enemy wave comes seemed to be an unnecessary burden.

Shielding walls sounds incredibly fun. Now instead of tanky weak anti-air, Armored Tower is an actual nice addiction to defence. Who know, maybe now I'll throw it into my Guns of Lyr deck.

Can Armored Tower cast the shield on itself?

This is a neat idea, but hammerfall kinda does the same thing with its' shielding. Since this is an "Armored" tower why not give it a provoke ability so it can tank for your other defensive cards (archers or other towers) and take reduced damage during that mode. That way it can make use of it's large HP pool.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:46 PM, WindHunter said:

Grants an Ice Shield every 3 seconds to friendly entities in a 25m radius without.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:46 PM, WindHunter said:

Additionally, we have added the unique ability for Armored Tower to apply Ice Shields to wall segments.

This is different from Hammerfall [B] which currently only grants ice shields to units. Armored Tower will now grant ice shields to entities (which includes other buildings/towers and even wall segments now); this is similar to it's original Gift of Ice ability whereas giving it Provoke would be a bigger change.

Too bad Armored Tower is T3 so not sure how much I would make use of the shielding of wall segments but we'll see.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

what will be the ice shield precedence? Also does it shield itself?
Take a nightmare shard scenario, position 1, right wall.
I think each side has something like 7 wall segments and maybe we got 6 units on it, 2 cannon towers and 2 units standing in camp behind it.

Generally you probably want the wall to be shielded first (I guess) and preferably the top wall segments because they get attacked first.

Weakest hp entity, then walls probably get shielded last
Closest entity, not sure if units on walls are closer but the cannon towers and units behind might also get shielded first. Positioning may be important, gives you some control over what gets shielded first. Though, you usually want long range high damage towers on the better spots, putting the armored tower behind or bottom makes everything unimportant get shielded first.
Walls > Units > towers, this might work in this scenario best not sure about other cases

I mean 10 shield is a lot and maybe the number you set the number intentionally as high to deal with a lot of entities, not sure if people want to deal with another possibly unreliable shielder that also does less damage than a cannon tower. It sounds more like something you use semi offensively, shield all your units then run into an enemy camp. This sounds like a fun utility but more appropriate for shield tower.

didn't notice the new proposed changes

Iteration 1 Revised
1. Ice Bolt splash radius: 5m --> 8m

irrefutable

2. Gift of Ice
   A. Radius: 25m --> 30m
   B. Duration: 30 sec --> Until absorb limit has been hit
   C. Cooldown: None --> Reusable every 30 seconds.
3. New passive, "Permafrost"
   A. Friendly wall segments within a 30m radius will regenerate 3% of their maximum life points every 2 seconds. Cannot be disabled by spellblocking abilities.

Was about to suggest bigger radius (30m) maybe even up the absorbed damage percentage ~50-75%.
I think it's better Armored tower absorbs all damage for friendly entities, this way damage is absorbed where needed instead of some stray shields. Just allow it to continue attacking, since its already weaker than cannon towers offensively.
I can see it work very well with the new Kobold Laboratory to make heavily sturdy defenses. Kobold Lab allowing walls to be repaired at all time makes permafrost obsolete imho. 

Instead of a cooldown for a passive ability I want to throw a second idea in to the room and that is to make the tower absorb some of the damage like Lifestream, but make it stop once it has less than 1000HP. This makes this even better with Kobold Laboratory as it itself will be able to repair itself while absorbing damage.
Cooldown has a downside; If the tower absorbed 6599 damage and the next wave attacks it will absorb 1 more damage then run into a 30second cooldown.

Edited by Sacriefice