Beginners Guide for Disinterest in Skylords Economy

Kapo

Beginners Guide for Disinterest in Skylords Economy
Or: How to not get screwed over by your own mistakes, the market, or other players

Skylords Reborn – a wonderful piece of RTS gaming – but also a Trading Card Game with market mechanics. Some enjoy the economic aspects a lot – but maybe you don't. This guide is as short as possible and gives you simple tips of what you should do and what to avoid.

If you just want to play the game, make progress and have fun, this guide is for you.

• Check prices: When buying or selling something over a certain limit – lets say 100 or 200 BFP – check the median price first. You don't need to memorize anything, use www.smj.cards (courtesy of [GM] Maze). Sometimes cheap cards are on temporary low supply and sold for outrageous prices. You only know what's going on if you check the price beyond the lowest market buyout.

• Sell Boosters: One way to ensure progress is to stay away from the gambling machine. You might end up losing several BFP, or you might win big – but that's especially a bigger risk for someone who is just starting out. For a casual player, staying even also has a downside: selling cards takes time too, and that's time not spent playing the game itself.

• Plan ahead: As a beginner, select one or two factions/decks you want to put your resources into and stick to them. Don't pump all your resources into fire cards and lose interest the next day. Cycling through your resources usually means losing some amount of BFP.

• High value - buy on chat, sell on market: On very expensive cards (>500 or 1000 BFP), take some time and buy them on the chat. Bartering can save you a lot – demand a healthy discount, otherwise you could buy from the market anyway. Selling expensive cards goes the other way around, just put them up on the market.

• Reforge right: The Reforge can be a powerful tool, but don't put random cards into it. To keep it simple and if you don't want to learn the exact mechanics, just put 4 of the exact same cards in, and you will be fine. Just be sure to never trash something of value.

• Be patient: This is the hardest part – many already mentioned points revolve around the ability to wait if the situation isn't right. You don't have to wait to sell a card for months – just don't sell it while it's at the very bottom. When buying a card you really NEED for a deck to play right now, you can make conscious exceptions for this, but moving fast almost always means losing BFP.

Hopefully it helps new players with disinterest in economy a bit. If you have some additional tips for beginners and people who want to participate in the market as little as possible, just suggest them and I will add them here:

• Have fun: Even though the advice above is sound, don't force yourself to optimize too much. For example, if you have fun opening Boosters, just do it, especially while you are still exploring what cards exist and what factions you may or may not like.

• Stay Updated: Skylords Reborn is in constant development, there is a regular forum post of changes that also contains a free Booster code. Official streams or videos usually come with codes too.

Edited by Kapo

While I agree with these points from a theory perspective, please dont feel bad as a new player if you just want to open boosters and/or have no clue what to play yet. A great part of BattleForge is its exploration phase, and I can imagine you are not looking forward to browsing hundreds of cards to come up with a plan before even figuring out what element you like. 

If you are starting out, I personally would suggest just opening your packs. See what catches your eyes, what feels nice to play for you, etc.
Is this the best way to be spending your BFP? Probably not, but it also does not really matter as long as you are having fun. 

If you do know for certain you want a perfect deck or card, or have settled a bit into what you like, then the above points are all very valueable.
At the end of the day, pick what is the most fun for you, and you cant go wrong 🙂 

Elewys, Lans, WatcherOfSky and 2 others like this

• 2 weeks later...

First, is all good advice but I am amazed you didn't list reading community updates (if only for the freebie code reward and I mean if people are reading the original post or my reply then they are obviously already doing right thing of being on the forum).

Only point I slightly disagree on is the market aspect and is not there is anything wrong with the advice but just maybe I am placing a stronger emphasis on

On 1/8/2022 at 3:39 AM, Kapo said:

just want to play the game

Although I know you can not sell booster packs via auction house and buying booster pack with daily discount then selling it is a guaranteed way of making a profit, I just hate the indefinite time I need to wait around.

Also I am with Majora, to me part of the fun of these type of games is trying to use what you are given (and AH is the safety net for the unluckiest rolls) and this is even though I am definitely seeing more misses than hits (that is, most of the time I could had bought the cards I got from booster packs from AH for less than cost of the booster pack).  Back in the day when we had to buy BFP for real money (at least that how I got the initial pool of BFP to work with), I definitely stayed away from booster packs and "play the odds of AH" (looking for what felt like under priced cards on AH and trying to flip it for more BFP).  With that I guess I'll sneak in, first post on this forum but I would not consider myself as a "true new player".

EDIT: fixed typos

Edited by Lans
Kapo and Volin like this

• 1 year later...

ChatGPT Advice

The following request was sent:

please suggest a economic strategy for trading in a game. it is a trading card game that has around 500 cards. it has a ingame currency named "BFP". the total value of a full collection is 500.000 BFP.

cards come from boosters, which cost 450 points from the store, but are traded between players for 430 points. a booster contains 8 cards. average return on investment for boosters is most of the time less then 5%, sometimes 10%, but can also be negative sometimes.

boosters contain cards that have tiered rarity and different chances to drop, the 8 cards are distributed as follows:

Card 1: 0.5% Promo, 19.5% Ultra Rare, 80% Rare
Card 2: 15% Rare, 85% Uncommon
Card 3: 20% Uncommon, 80% Common
Card 4: 100% Uncommon
Cards 5, 6, 7 and 8: 100% Common

Usual value for the cards are:
Common: 5 BFP
Uncommon: 20-150 BFP
Rare: 100-350 BFP
Ultra Rares: 200-2000 BFP
Promo: 3000-25000 BFP

Most cards lean towards the lower end, only some are high-valued.
People can post the cards in an online auction house. you are able to buy and resell for higher prices.
Most people make sound decisions how to spend their points, but very few do not, and post cards at too low or, even more seldom, even wrong prices.
you get daily income of 500 points.
when you start out, you can do achievements that quickly yield about 10000 BFP.

calculate appropriate strategies, and structure the answer in three parts:

* Advice for everyone
* Advice for people with only little daily playtime - about 10 minutes at max to interact with the market.
* Advice for people with some daily playtime - about 20 minutes at max to interact with the market.
* Advice for people with alot daily playtime - up to one hours to interact with the market.

Posting a auction takes about 20 seconds. Not all cards you post will be sold, it depends on the price. 
Buying an auction is almost instant.
Opening a Booster takes about 30 seconds.
To judge edge cases, please note that opening boosters is fun, so if it doesnt matter much, suggest opening boosters.

please write out a guide suggesting how to use this system to the players benefit, if you have the same advice for everybody, still stay within the structure.

Here is the result:

Advice for everyone:

1. Don't rush to buy boosters from the store. Instead, try to buy boosters from other players at a lower price.
  2. Keep an eye on the market prices for the cards you want to buy or sell. Use the auction house to your advantage and try to buy low and sell high.
  3. Try to complete the achievements in the game that yield BFP. These achievements can quickly give you a boost in currency to start trading with.
  4. If you have a few high-value cards, don't rush to sell them. Keep them in your collection and wait for the right time to sell them. The value of some cards can increase over time as the game progresses and new players join.
  5. Keep an eye on the trends of the market. If you notice a particular card is in high demand, try to get your hands on it before the price goes up.

Advice for people with little extra time (10 minutes max):

1. Try to spend your 10 minutes checking the market for cards you want to buy or sell. Look for undervalued cards that you can resell for a profit.
  2. Post a few auctions of cards you want to sell at slightly lower prices than the market value. This will increase your chances of making a quick sale.
  3. Spend a few minutes opening a booster or two to see if you can get lucky and pull a valuable card.

Advice for people with some extra time (20 minutes max):

1. Spend a few minutes every day checking the market for cards you want to buy or sell. Look for trends and try to predict which cards might increase in value.
  2. Post auctions of cards you want to sell at slightly lower prices than the market value. This will increase your chances of making a quick sale.
  3. Try to complete some of the achievements that yield BFP to increase your currency.
  4. Spend a few minutes opening a booster or two to see if you can get lucky and pull a valuable card.

Advice for people with a lot of extra time (up to one hour):

1. Spend the first few minutes checking the market for cards you want to buy or sell. Look for undervalued cards and try to resell for a profit.
  2. Post a lot of auctions of cards you want to sell at slightly lower prices than the market value. This will increase your chances of making multiple sales.
  3. Try to complete as many achievements as possible to increase your currency.
  4. Spend some time opening boosters to try and pull valuable cards.
  5. Try to build a deck that's competitive in the game, and that uses some of the higher-value cards that you might have in your collection. This can give you an edge in gameplay, as well as increase the value of the cards in your collection.

Overall, the key to success in this game is to be patient and smart with your trading decisions. Keep an eye on the market, post auctions at strategic times, and take advantage of the opportunities that come your way. Good luck!

Q: Would it be profitable to not open booster and just resell cards, or is opening boosters better under these premises?

A:  In general, it's difficult to determine whether it's more profitable to sell unopened boosters or to open them and sell the individual cards, as it depends on various factors such as the current market demand for the cards, the player's individual luck in opening high-value cards, and the time and effort involved in selling individual cards versus selling unopened boosters. However, based on the information provided, it seems like opening boosters and selling individual cards is likely to be more profitable than simply selling unopened boosters.

While the average return on investment for boosters is typically less than 5%, some boosters can have a return on investment of up to 10%, which suggests that there is some potential for profit in opening boosters. Additionally, since some cards are high-valued while most lean towards the lower end, it's possible to make a profit by selling the valuable cards obtained from boosters while using the lower-value cards to fill out a collection or sell at a lower price.

That being said, if a player is particularly risk-averse and would prefer a more consistent, reliable source of income, selling unopened boosters at a slightly reduced price could be a viable option. However, they should be aware that they may be leaving potential profits on the table by not opening the boosters and selling the individual cards. Ultimately, the decision to open boosters or sell them unopened will depend on the player's individual preferences and risk tolerance.