Helping a New Player

Shalltear

Heya Guys,

I want to ask if it is possible that a completly new player to Skylords/Battle Forge will master this game?

I know , that if you put a lot of time into it that you will master it but is this game hard to understand?

Hope i will get reply's and wish you all a good day! :D 

Dallarian likes this

This game is not at all hard to understand. You will get the basics after playing the tutorial and a few missions on standard difficulty. There is a bit of advanced stuff, but not a lot tbh, like how bound power and the vpid system function, which you will also learn rather quickly, especially if you ask experienced players for help about it. When playing with other people you will be able to pick up common strategies/combos.

Only if you want to get into the details about speedrunning and knowing the ins and outs of all the maps, you will have to invest more time. And of course, more time will also make you better at the basics.

If you want to get into PvP I would suggest checking out a beginner's guide before your first game, since not knowing what you are doing will result in a lot of losses at first. You can check out the PvP section in the forums for example.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the game. Have fun!

Torban likes this

It obviously depends on what level you want to understand it. The basic mechanics are easy, getting a grip on the main objectives is also quite easy. Learning every matchup perfectly and bringing your decision making and micromanagement to perfection is very difficult and takes a long time though.

I personally only played PvE in the old days, watched a crapton of PvP replays during the downtime and played around 50~100 games (including the Stress test and sparring matches) until now, and I would say I have a basic idea on what I'm doing and usually know, why I loose when I do, but I still got no shot against the best players.

So don't be discouraged, if you loose most/all of your games in the beginning, that's just normal and will get better over time.

Torban likes this

45 minutes ago, Metagross31 said:

It obviously depends on what level you want to understand it. The basic mechanics are easy, getting a grip on the main objectives is also quite easy. Learning every matchup perfectly and bringing your decision making and micromanagement to perfection is very difficult and takes a long time though.

I personally only played PvE in the old days, watched a crapton of PvP replays during the downtime and played around 50~100 games (including the Stress test and sparring matches) until now, and I would say I have a basic idea on what I'm doing and usually know, why I loose when I do, but I still got no shot against the best players.

So don't be discouraged, if you loose most/all of your games in the beginning, that's just normal and will get better over time.

Wow thank you for this nice words ! :D And you seem that you knew alot of this Game.

44 minutes ago, ThomasMann said:

If you are not an idiot like me then, you could probably "master" it, but I'm still over here not even completed one expert map 

I don't think that you are an "idiot".

But i guess that some Map's are just quite strong?

Kind Regards,

Shalltear

Edited by Shalltear

I see a Lady of Culture, it's a pleasure.

In PvP there is no fog of war, economical aspect is absolutely easy at entry level, just keep in mind that power well takes 3:20 (minutes) to pay off. At high level, it's a bit more complex, but the idea remains the same.

The game is a lot of about game knowledge, particularly in PvP, so you must learn counters and similar. Micro is significantly slower, and therefore less beneficial, but still engaging.
Overall, amount of knowledge is not huge within one faction, and other mechanics usually solve themselfs. Therefore the game is significantly easier on low and average level than Starcraft 2. To be honest I haven't played most of maps on Expert ever before full release, and I turned out to make accidently a briefing on them, so as you see, it's not that difficult.

It's all relative to available time and used sources of information, though. There is little knowledge gathered on forum, very few online videos, therefore more experienced players are best source of information. Feel free to ask! If you master only one faction, you may need to self-learn a bit, however you do not have to cover the whole game.

Make sure to play Pure Shadow :shadoworb::shadoworb::shadoworb::shadoworb: , use "Motivate" on those human bugs Forsaken, and then use their corpses to raise undead and power your demons. Every time you play Overlord, you praise Supreme Ones. I believe this playstyle should be fitting.

However, do not step between me and Battleships. It's a warning.

Edited by Dallarian

22 minutes ago, Dallarian said:

I see a Lady of Culture, it's a pleasure.

In PvP there is no fog of war, economical aspect is absolutely easy at entry level, just keep in mind that power well takes 3:20 (minutes) to pay off. At high level, it's a bit more complex, but the idea remains the same.

The game is a lot of about game knowledge, particularly in PvP, so you must learn counters and similar. Micro is significantly slower, and therefore less beneficial, but still engaging.
Overall, amount of knowledge is not huge within one faction, and other mechanics usually solve themselfs. Therefore the game is significantly easier on low and average level than Starcraft 2. To be honest I haven't played most of maps on Expert ever before full release, and I turned out to make accidently a briefing on them, so as you see, it's not that difficult.

It's all relative to available time and used sources of information, though. There is little knowledge gathered on forum, very few online videos, therefore more experienced players are best source of information. Feel free to ask! If you master only one faction, you may need to self-learn a bit, however you do not have to cover the whole game.

Make sure to play Pure Shadow :shadoworb::shadoworb::shadoworb::shadoworb: , use "Motivate" on those human bugs Forsaken, and then use their corpses to raise undead and power your demons. Every time you play Overlord, you praise Supreme Ones. I believe this playstyle should be fitting.

However, do not step between me and Battleships. It's a warning.

Yeah ofc ! Hahahaha :D 

Oh okay so Pure Shadow is kinda op?

Kind Regards,

Shalltear

1 hour ago, Shalltear said:

Yeah ofc ! Hahahaha :D 

Oh okay so Pure Shadow is kinda op?

Kind Regards,

Shalltear

My wife has tried playing PvP and so far her strategy was "wow harvester is op"
. . . 
"so I will use harvester" :)

Pure shadow is strong at many different levels. As a beginner against beginners, harvester is a very reliable win condition. It requires almost no micro to use effectively, and it usually requires higher micro to beat it.

So if you think pure shadow is fun, go for it! There are free PvP decks so you can try it out at no cost :) Unfortunately, it can be hard to find beginners to play PvP with, so I'd recommend looking in the chat for other PvP beginners. There's also a rookie's PvP tournament, so check that out!

Metagross31 likes this