Running as nonprivileged user

mexmer

Is it possible to remove UAC flag from launcher, or is it really required for running game.

Issue is, that running game as administrator effectively blocks communication software PTT hotkey, if communication software also is not running as administator.

Game should not require elevated user to run, and patcher most likely needs it only to patch gamefiles, when it's installed in Program Files or other folder, that is not writeable by normal user.

Launcher need it, because we need to modify game's memory to be able to connect to our servers. :( 
If you know anything about development check how easy it is to add elevated right when you start process, and then check how hard it is to remove them :(  Windows just do not have api to start process with lower rights :(  But if someone come with piece of code (expect 300 lines+) that should work I will reconsider it, but I will need to be sure what that code do, because it will run on 1000s PC with elevated rights, so it needs to be safe code. Until then I give up on that idea :(

thanks for answer. i have some idea what you are talking about, although can't think about simple solution for this.

it's quite some years, when i was tinkering witch such stuff :D

btw. it is possible from privileged process spawn another, that is not elevated, but i'm not sure, if you will be able to modify spawned process memory. 

might look into it, when i have time ... but no promises

tbh. my line of thinking was, that your are patching game files directly, not in memory.

how exactly we do it is part of the secret, but we need it to be elevated. With lot of search you will find it is possible, but really complicated, and tbh none of the solutions I found was 100% guaranteed. The option just missing in the api :( I would expect it to be default even, but not possible :( only complicated hacks can do it :( And testing all of them and verifying their code would be too time consuming :P 

There is also other software category that would benefit from it. Streaming. And also one downside hacking SW, but most people that want to hack do not have problem with that limitation.

well, there is more categories that can benefit from game not running elevated, but indeed streaming is quite important one.

then again, running OBS as admin will do trick for you (or if you using nvidia shield ... but that requires nvidia gpu in first place).

no point discussing this further in public, workaround exists (as long, as person has admin rights on computer)

Hey Mexmer,

i was annoyed of the message every start so I searched for a fix.
The solution: Compatibility Administrator (its part of the windows 10 SDK)

With that tool you can “fix” the settings for your applications.
I the case, you have to check “run as invoker”

But I think that’s something which the dev and force on a system.
(And of curse I’m not sure about the security aspect)

If you are interested, I can post some screen shots or a “how to”.

MFG Ultralord

I just tested it, enabled UAC and tried the “run as invoker” workaround, best result I was able to get was no prompt, but it still run with elevated rights. So this can only help to people that have UAC set too high, but it will not remove the requirement just the propt so it do not solve any of the problems above.

If you think you have method that really enforces it to run without elevated rights, let me know I am interested in it.

Hello Kubik,

you are right, it doesn’t work anymore… (haven’t tested before my post, sorry)

I think it has worked till the update ~ 25.02.2019.
Till then it was also possible to by pass the Updater and start the launcher with “The Magic Argument” ?

Maybe windows don’t like the changes in the code, that were made that day.

I´m sorry to get your hopes up, but I currently have no working solution.
I let you know if I find something that will work again.

MFG Ultralord

Edited by T1421

So you have fixed the “SkylordsRebornUpdater.exe” and after pressing play the message appeared.

What I did: Fixing the “Launcher.exe” and starting this one directly, with the argument.
(I know that’s not the way it meant to be…)

In my case it worked, or I have done more changes which I can’t remember…
Is it possible that you send / post an old version of the Launcher.exe so I can try to reproduce the fix. (and not wasting your time)
The game will probably not start because of an old version, but is more about the message before the game is actually running.

MFG Ultralord