Is there a way to balance 2v2/3v3?

THE_BIG_WET

I've started playing pvp fairly recently and everytime im in the 2v2/3v3 maps i face new kind of cheese every time 🙂

if its sunderer with life weaving in t1 or war eagles with disenchant and shields/lost shades with dryad (B)+ heals in t2 or even church of negation in t3 or a random t4 unit it feels like who ever runs the most op combo wins.

ofcourse you can argue this things can be countered by other cards but it always feels like who ever runs the most broken combo wins.

i could be wrong about this because i dont have allot of pvp knowladge but it feels to me that 2v2/3v3 is broken in a fun way dont get me wrong but still very unbalanced

As far as I believe, 2v2 and 3v3 isn't considered in balance process.
Considering all the interactions between factions and balancing it out would probably require a separate gamemode with separate set of changes, that will not interfere with 1v1 balance, what is not ideal, particularly if 2v2 and 3v3 are inferior in popularity than 1v1.

I believe balancing 2v2 and 3v3 would be a waste of resources.

There are actually some balancing considerations, especially towards 2v2.
Examples for this are the changes of Dryad (b) and Shrine of Greed, which made for some super strong combos, which could even win you the game quite easily at T1, if your opponents did not play accordingly (Dryad + Nox for example).
I personally think that balancing in 2v2/3v3 is somewhat important, as in nerfing overpowered and meta-defining strats, such as the ones mentioned, but some things, such as popping an enlightenment->Moloch combo can remain in the game, as long as there is counterplay against the setup, if you play well enough. As you mentioned, this makes for games, which are "broken but in a fun way", which I personally like.

Dallarian likes this

3vs3 is not a ranked format, and thus not actively considered in balancing. 2vs2 is, but a lot less so than 1vs1 and PvE. The issue with a game like this is that a change that might be obvious in one area, might screw over another. 

For example, Dryad is considered pretty OP in 2vs2. But nerfing her to only effect ally units would impact pve as well. We have seen in the past that the PvE community really does not like nerfs because of PvP reasons. Considering 2vs2 does not get played a lot (which to be honest, is also a bit of a chicken-egg story), the backlash for nerfs that effect other game modes is pretty high. 

We try to compromise this as much as possible (from my understanding, dryad is currently being tested with a reduction to allies, instead of getting rid of it completely) but its a tricky path. 

As for ''the most OP combo wins'', I dont agree, however 2vs2 and 3vs3 play A LOT different from 1vs1, so you might have to readjust your views on certain cards and playstyles. 

Metagross31 likes this