Improvement to Tortuguns AI

Flrbb

I've tried to play a pure bandit deck, but the play-style of Tortugun doesn't feel "smooth". Here are two suggestions.

1. in Amok state if no other unit nearby, it seems to run to any direction until it hits a wall. Then it stays there. You cannot control it; meaning you have to send another unit to "rescue" it. How about a better "seek" AI?

2. In my deck I had both Tortuguns and a Bloodhorn. Because both Tortuguns have different ranges of attack and the bloodhorn is melee, my army had three flocks. With the result, that the Tortuguns do consume each other (instead of the Bloodhorns). An improvement, that they do not eat their own kind would be great! (Especially, because they choose their target very randomly. It happens, that they consume the Tourtugun with the most stored life points. What a waste.)

I've played Totruguns for a very long time in the original Battleforge and they were my first deck I build in Skylords. A pure Tortugun Deck is by far my favorite deck because they are very strong but are a hell to manage. Perfect Risc and Reward unit. You got many things wrong about the AI of those turtles:

1. They never walk in random directions when they are in amok state. When they become hungry, they will walk to the last place you told them before their amok state and only when they reached that place (even when it's on the other side of them map), they will look for food nearby and walk straight to that unit to eat it. (Pro Tip: You can hold Shift to give your units a path they shell go with more than one destination. With that you can tell your Tortugun to walk back and forth and they will ignore any friendly units until they finished that path even when they get in the amok state right away. This way you can delay the time when they will eat your own units and time it with the amok state of other Tortuguns.) When they are in Amok state and no friendly unit is nearby, they will just stay there until you send or spawn a unit next to them.

2. They will always eat the unit that is closest to them. Not being able to eat their own kind would elimiate the most efficient way to play them. The best strategie is to cast 2 Tortuguns at almost the same time. This way they will also reach the amok state at the same time. You just have to feed one with the other. Then you got from 2 Tortuguns in amok state to 1 Tortugun with almost full stomach. Using Bloodhorn to feed them isn't ideal. Most of the time Bloodhorn isn't at full HP so the amok state is only delayed for a few seconds. Another way is to sacrifice the Tortuguns with Offering before they get hungry. That is a good strategy when you only have one Tortugun with low stomach (you can't offering them when they are in amok state though).

In general this unit need much care. You always have to pay attention to their stomach bars and think ahead. I don't think they need a better AI. Once you know how they behave, they are very consistence and every time they eat a unit you don't want them to eat, you know you didn't pay enough attention to them :)

Edited by Chibiterasu

4 hours ago, Chibiterasu said:

I've played Totruguns for a very long time in the original Battleforge and they were my first deck I build in Skylords. A pure Tortugun Deck is by far my favorite deck because they are very strong but are a hell to manage. Perfect Risc and Reward unit. You got many things wrong about the KI of those turtles:

1. They never walk in random directions when they are in amok state. When they become hungry, they will walk to the last place you told them before their amok state and only when they reached that place (even when it's on the other side of them map), they will look for food nearby and walk straight to that unit to eat it. (Pro Tip: You can hold Shift to give your units a path they shell go with more than one destination. With that you can tell your Tortugun to walk back and forth and they will ignore any friendly units until they finished that path even when they get in the amok state right away. This way you can delay the time when they will eat your own units and time it with the amok state of other Tortuguns.) When they are in Amok state and no friendly unit is nearby, they will just stay there until you send or spawn a unit next to them.

2. They will always eat the unit that is closest to them. Not being able to eat their own kind would elimiate the most efficient way to play them. The best strategie is to cast 2 Tortuguns at almost the same time. This way they will also reach the amok state at the same time. You just have to feed one with the other. Then you got from 2 Tortuguns in amok state to 1 Tortugun with almost full stomach. Using Bloodhorn to feed them isn't ideal. Most of the time Bloodhorn isn't at full HP so the amok state is only delayed for a few seconds. Another way is to sacrifice the Tortuguns with Offering before they get hungry. That is a good strategy when you only have one Tortugun with low stomach (you can't offering them when they are in amok state though).

In general this unit need much care. You always have to pay attention to their stomach bars and think ahead. I don't think they need a better KI. Once you know how they behave, they are very consistence and every time they eat a unit you don't want them to eat, you know you didn't pay enough attention to them :)

Time to make a tortugun deck :D

11 hours ago, Chibiterasu said:

I've played Totruguns for a very long time in the original Battleforge and they were my first deck I build in Skylords. A pure Tortugun Deck is by far my favorite deck because they are very strong but are a hell to manage. Perfect Risc and Reward unit. You got many things wrong about the AI of those turtles:

In general this unit need much care. You always have to pay attention to their stomach bars and think ahead. I don't think they need a better AI. Once you know how they behave, they are very consistence and every time they eat a unit you don't want them to eat, you know you didn't pay enough attention to them :)

+1

I really want to emphazise that Tortugun cannibalism should never be removed. It further limits a card that is already in a very niche spot (the way you play it as well as its orb requirements).