Consistency in ability names

anonyme0273

All the cards in the image below (those standing next to each other) share a certain ability (Looter, Rage, Burnout, Life steal). Many more cards do.

image.thumb.png.58ae5e95d7ad078e3d0f4f63fabb7368.png

The problem is, the specifics, be it values or actual functionality, vary from card to card. Strikers gain Power from hitting anything, Thugs only from buildings, yet the names of the abilities are the same. This is confusing, especially since Thugs were recently changed.

I propose renaming those abilities slightly, either completely or just with a prefix/suffix to indicate, as with affinities, that there are differences between those cards. Consistency matters, logically it makes no sense to have this mess ingame.

2 hours ago, anonyme0273 said:

All the cards in the image below (those standing next to each other) share a certain ability (Looter, Rage, Burnout, Life steal). Many more cards do.

image.thumb.png.58ae5e95d7ad078e3d0f4f63fabb7368.png

The problem is, the specifics, be it values or actual functionality, vary from card to card. Strikers gain Power from hitting anything, Thugs only from buildings, yet the names of the abilities are the same. This is confusing, especially since Thugs were recently changed.

I propose renaming those abilities slightly, either completely or just with a prefix/suffix to indicate, as with affinities, that there are differences between those cards. Consistency matters, logically it makes no sense to have this mess ingame.

Well, looter is tricky because thugs were just changed, and strikers are now considered OP so I guess they'll go the same way as thugs.

I agree 100% on rage--I would like a description that says something like "up to 4x damage" or whatever exists on each card. A written value for charge would be nice as well (although I think that's based on the unit damage--maybe 4 secs worth of damage).

With lifesteal, burnout, etc I think it's fine as-is. The abilities all work the same but with different values--but since those values are written on the card, I don't see any reason to make a bunch of new names just because the effect's value is slightly different. It's not like anyone would be able to know the difference between "deathly lifesteal" and "stealthy lifesteal" without reading the description or having it memorized, so imo adding an extra prefix wouldn't be any QoL improvement. 

For affinities, I like having a slightly different description because many times you can look at 2 affinity cards side-by-side and it's not that easy to tell the difference, but the name change makes it easier. Nobody is confused about the difference between ashbone pyro, bandit gunner, and unstable demon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Something a bit similar seems to be existent with "Tunneling" from Scythe Finds (Fire) vs. "Tunneling" from Burrower and Deep One (Earth). First one tunnels to other units, while the earth-ones use the Tunnel-System. Perhabs one of them could be called different :-)