Twilight Faction Ideas

Enraged

Im still playing around with some twilight decks for pve so might make some mistakes, but had a few thoughts on how to punch up the twilight faction.  Im not 100% sure on how the power works with transformation, its quite a fun mechanic, but does feel underused compared to other groups.  

Late game structures:

Currently, cards like fleshbender and willzapper are really only usable in pvp, which is a shame as they are interesting buildings!  My thought here would be to create an alternate card for pve, either using the same models as those or a different one.  One could have a pair of affinities, its primary effect would be to provide damage reduction to units who are transforming (global range).   One affinity, perhaps green, could make units that complete a transformation fully heal, while the other (blue perhaps) makes the unit immune to knockback or stun or any form of disable while transforming and/or temporary immunity on completion.  Alternatively have the structure render units immune to disables/knockbacks by default, then provide heal for one affinity and extended immunity on the other.  Incentivises more combat transformations!  This could use the fleshbender model perhaps, or a variant of it.  

Another could be based off the willzapper and also have a global effect, this could reduce the cost of transform by a %, or return a fixed amount of it  back to the power pool immediately.  It would have to be global to really get use, as transform is often most effective in combat to trigger the transform abilities.  

You could also consider a building based off the basic twilight spawner building that functions similar to sunken temple, but spawning twilight minions/archers with timed life.  This could be an interesting defensive structure with synergies with infected tower and some transform effects.  

Spells:

Id like to see a spell that simulates the infection spreading, and if the victim gets weak enough they transform into a twilight equivalent.  Im picturing an effect based on parasite, but without the damage and a much faster transfer speed (ie a unit is infected, and then it rapidly spreads to nearby units).  Infected units get a debuff, and if they fall to below 50% health they transform to a twilight unit of similar type under the players control (small melee units become minions, small ranged to slayers, xls like colossus to abominations etc) at their previous health.  If the debuff wears off, the unit becomes immune to the debuff for a while.  Said units could have a timed life from the moment they transform.  Ends up being similar to infect, but spreads differently and creates units differently more in theme with the twilight curse.

What about a power that creates an area of effect, and if a twilight unit dies within said area it triggers its transform ability as if it had transformed (in the case of slaver, it explodes twice).  This is probably best placed in tier 2, maybe 3 at a pinch, as t2 units have most of the on transform effects (minions, slavers, vileblood are all t2 transform effects, maniac and nightshade for t3, evil eye at t4).  Upside is a reduced micro method of triggering transform effects in combat, downside being that the units have to die to trigger it, losing their card charge and needing to be resummoned.  

Units:

Unless I havent found it yet, twilight dancer doesnt have a card yet.  This could quite simply be a long range artillery unit in theme to take the place of fire dancer or fire stalker.  If a unit transforms into her, this could create a temporary buff based on affinity (increased damage for a short time or damage reduction for a moderate time) to represent an inspiring dance!  

Abomination is great, a good unit I find.  I would however like a transform effect for it, to try incentivise the ability.  Perhaps when a unit transforms into abomination it triggers his roar for free?  

Twilight hulk doesnt have a card yet!  How bout it has a stampede effect that leaves a trail of infection behind it, perhaps like the infected tower ability or the spell I described.  If it transforms into another unit, it restores a charge to units of the same size as it perhaps?  The hulk leads the charge of the twilight horde!  

Ive got a few other ideas, but they are fairly rough so might post them later.  

As a side note, twilight does seem quite strong as it stands for pvp with its flexibility and potent void power and summoning shenanigans, so maybe any additional cards are t4 which arent really used in pvp, or have an effect that works fairly on each mode (ie a twilight dancer wouldnt be out of place, as it would act much like a firedancer type unit just a bit different)

Hrdina_Imperia and Thingol like this

You could also consider a building based off the basic twilight spawner building that functions similar to sunken temple, but spawning twilight minions/archers with timed life.  This could be an interesting defensive structure with synergies with infected tower and some transform effects.  

I think the idea of a spawn building definitely connects well with Twilight as a faction. I think both Twilight and Bandits could eventually see their spawn buildings become player cards. 

16 hours ago, Enraged said:

Twilight hulk doesnt have a card yet!  How bout it has a stampede effect that leaves a trail of infection behind it, perhaps like the infected tower ability or the spell I described.  The hulk leads the charge of the twilight horde!  

I think the idea of a stampede effect that primarily interacts with units instead of buildings would be a cool twist on the ability. I am not sure if that would be infection or knockback or some other concept, but it is worth thinking more about. 

We also want to add a lot of Twilight transformation effects like you suggest to make the mechanic more worthwhile to play around. 

Hrdina_Imperia and Thingol like this

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to having Twilight Dancer and a playable card as Twilight Hag, which is a T3, lacks damage considering she is already a T3 unit. 

Maybe we can add a Twilight Dancer as a T2 unit to the Twilight roster with the same abilities or passive effects as the Lost Dancer.

I'm fascinated with the Twilight Dancer and I'm trying to come up with an actual design.

A Twilight Skylord may be in future use.

TwilightDancer-Skylord.thumb.png.a847aa4382716bddf48085fd4ebb46a0.png