regression - Certain spell combinations induce 30+second lags across players

thorbertus

I think I speak for a number of players in reporting what appears to be a regression over the last few months: when certain combinations of spells are cast in rpve multiplayer, the game will lag for 30+seconds for many of the players, sometimes causing disconnections.  I don't remember this being an issue with the client from a year ago or with a less powerful video card in my computer; as a developer, it seems to me like new graphics/features might be overwhelming CPUs and GPUs causing a cascade effect of lag (because simply moving the screen to a place without the offending spells doesnt immediately fix the problem).  I would be happy to provide a replay the next time it happens if that would be helpful

You mean regression in the hardware right? As a developer do you think there is anything we can do about it? 🤔
Do you have any replay for the lags?
The client is still the same, it did not change in over 10 years.
🤔Can I ask why you decided to use 10+ years old GPU, and how did you found which is the best one that still supports all the features used by BF?
Or are you confusing newer with more Tera Flops with more powerful? Because 4090 is for sure not more powerful than cards from the era. Something needed to be removed to fit all the RT crap in there, and not all of the old features are emulated on the GPU, some of them are emulated on the CPU, because GPU manufacturers expect most of the old game to not require them that much to slow the CPU too much.
And one more aspect did you play on same resolution back then?
What "new graphics/features" do you have in mind?