New card ideas and suggestions - Megathread

Hrdina_Imperia

Recently, an awesome event took place with the Official Card Design Contest. As with any game and ever more so with card games, people simply do enjoy coming up with their own card ideas. No wonder, that this contest was super popular and arguably one of the most partaken in. Even the forum thread itself got over 100 replies, which is super nice (I myself am guilty of around 16 posts there *cough cough*).

Since it seems people still want to share their ideas, instead of making up new thread every time, I decided that it might be worth while to make a megathread, where new card suggestions can be posted. 

I would also like to point to this awesome site - https://smj.cards/creator , where you can create extremely good mock-ups of new SR cards. Go wild people! 

WatcherOfSky, Xamos, Kapo and 3 others like this

Might as well include the first idea I had, which is revisited Twilight T2 archer from my own submission into the contest. 

I just want to see more reskined Magma Hurler units 🤗

Cursewood
Uses Magma Hurler as a base.

Abilities:
Miasma Balls - Every 3 seconds, unit hurls a ball of infected miasma, dealing 210 damage to enemies in a 8m radius around its target, up to 330 in total. Enemies hit by the miasma are cursed: for the next 3 seconds, they will take extra 25% damage from entities infected by the Twilight curse. 
Transformation - The unit is infected with the Twilight Curse and can be transformed into any other Twilight creature. Activate to start the mutant process and choose a Twilight unit from the current deck to be transformed into. The current deck must contain at least one other Twilight unit whose orb requirements are met!
Impiety - When this unit is spawned through Transformation from other Twilight unit, its power cost is reduced by extra 15% on top of the usual reduction. When Cursewood is spawned in such a way, it will deal 50% less damage for 10 seconds. 

Cursewood.png

Xamos, Kapo and Riviute like this

I'm not giving up! I will make this thread a thing damn it, or die trying! Oh well, at least I can went all my card ideas here :^)

Black Fog

T1 Shadow spell, that is not pure CC but fulfils a similiar role. Since Shadow mostly deals in indirect means, think this might fit the faction.

Infused Dense Cloud - Summons a dark thick fog at the target location with a diameter of 15 meters. As long as any unit is caught within the black clouds, it will have their vision reduced to the area of the fog (ie. can only see and attack entities within the 15 meter radius, can be attacked from outside). Leaving the fog area will restore sight. Lasts for 15 seconds.

Blessed Dense Cloud - Summons a dark thick fog at the target location with a diameter of 20 meters. As long as any building is located within the black clouds, it will have its vision reduced to the area of the fog (ie. can only see and attack enemies within the 20 meter radius, can be attacked from outside). Lasts for 15 seconds.

1.png

Riviute and WatcherOfSky like this

Well i cant help it, I had so much fun creating my card for that contest so here I am!

I present my card a T4 pure shadow spell

Armageddon!

Armageddon.png.8d8b1d152f2bf0f315547b52ce80b3be.png

What this card does is pretty simple.

End of the world: 

Damages every single unit on the entire map including your own and allies. (not sure about numbers so I'm just throwing in 1500) every upgrade reduces the damage allied units take from it (U1-10%, U2-20%, U3-30%) Buildings are not effected. Cooldown 30seconds. 

Its not very complex and not very creative. I just played a lot of heroes of might and magic and i really loved to use armaggedon there.

Really like your idea of keeping this topic alive, maybe some more people will join us 🙂 

Edited by Riviute
Xamos and Hrdina_Imperia like this

10 minutes ago, Riviute said:

Its not very complex and not very creative. I just played a lot of heroes of might and magic and i really loved to use armaggedon there.

Really like your idea of keeping this topic alive, maybe some more people will join us 🙂 

Now that brings back memories! Armagedon + magic immunity was the stuff. 

Well, maybe it will be in the end only two of us, but I truly enjoy coming up with new cards, even if they will never see the light of day 😄

Also, I would maybe increase the damage reduction for allied units, so it cannot be used for griefing as much I guess. Fun idea otherwise!

Riviute likes this

Time for another card, this time around its a twilight card.

The Thorn Empress

108671475_ThornEmpress.png.f49a063103bcc43062e16098c8e540ee.png

This units model should be based of the Overlord skin. I know it might look weird having a male model for a female creature but I'm also certain that a lot of things can be done with a model to make it look fitting. 

This unit comes with two abilities and yes,, it is missing the transformation ability but for a reason.

Recreation creates an aura surrounding the Thorn Empress that lowers the cost of Transforming Twilight Units. (5%, 10%, 15%, 20%) Should have the same range as breeding grounds.

Vile Blossom creates another aura where allied twilight creatures transfer some damage enemies do to them. However the damage your twilight units take is not reduced. (95%, 90%, 85%, 80%) This power should cost 50Power and lasts for 20seconds. 

Hrdina_Imperia likes this

I have many cards ideas to share, but one that has been a constant in my mind is Void Maw. I really like the idea of a one-shot mechanic, but I believe Void Maw falls under the bar in terms of playability. My main issue with the card is that it comes out way too late. By the time you're at t4, you have so many more ways of dealing with units, that Void Maw becomes too much of a liability having to micro it to deal with a single unit. It's been uber-buffed and I still don't really see it be used much.

Here's how I think Void Maw should be changed:

191176658_VoidMaw.png.ae8e0b0d76ebe46e6e96e3e000a4f7d2.png

Of course Void Shear's damage would be reduced to 3000 or something to put it more in line with T3 Health and such, but most everything else would stay the same. (Although it would also be reasonable to make Void Shear cost more as well)

This could also be a monoshadow card. I believe this would breathe new life into the card and give monoshadow and such in pve a new way to deal with singular huge units more easily in t3. I also like the idea of using it with Fallen Skyelf to one-shot the bigger enemies.

Now here's why I want to make Void Maw a t3 unit. I really like Mind Control as a card, but as an avid MTG player who is used to kill spells, it stumps me that there isn't a spell that just outright kills a unit, even though Mind Control basically does that but so much better.

So here's my idea:

Exterminate.png.90a40669c5e79feae96d9f3cd1c2af03.png

Return to the Void would read: Immediately kills an enemy unit of a maximum of 4 orbs and 350 power cost. Reusable every 30 seconds. (I should also mention that this won't affect boss-units, because that would be op ofc)

This could also be a 4 shadow-cost as well.

One reason I have for wanting a card like this, is that heavy shadow t4 doesn't really have a big flashy spell besides Plague, which is more aoe control. It just seems natural for an insta-kill spell to exist in the game, and shadow feels like the obvious fit.

A big upside, is that it would be an easy way to get a corpse on the ground to start feeding your corpse collecting abilities, and I think that would be fun!

On 1/18/2023 at 2:27 AM, Hrdina_Imperia said:

Infused Dense Cloud - Summons a dark thick fog at the target location with a diameter of 15 meters. As long as any unit is caught within the black clouds, it will have their vision reduced to the area of the fog (ie. can only see and attack entities within the 15 meter radius, can be attacked from outside). Leaving the fog area will restore sight. Lasts for 15 seconds.

Blessed Dense Cloud - Summons a dark thick fog at the target location with a diameter of 20 meters. As long as any building is located within the black clouds, it will have its vision reduced to the area of the fog (ie. can only see and attack enemies within the 20 meter radius, can be attacked from outside). Lasts for 15 seconds.

1.png

Also I forgot to reply before, but I really like the idea of vision control as a mechanic. If there was a way to make it affect pve ranged enemies from attacking, I could totally see it seeing a lot of play.

Edited by WatcherOfSky
Hrdina_Imperia and Majora like this

12 hours ago, WatcherOfSky said:

I have many cards ideas to share, but one that has been a constant in my mind is Void Maw...

Interesting. I guess the Ability of Void Maw indeed comes a bit too late at 4th Era. It's usefulness would be great an Orb earlier. What holds the unit up in the game is the passive ability, I guess, thanks to which it is still useful also in the Tier 4. 

I like the idea for the T4 Shadow kill spell! Really feels fitting for Shadow. It should probably be balanced with comparission to the Mind Control spell, considering it should be a bit weaker in general (with MC you also receive the unit unbound). Maybe it could gain an extra effect, that the killed unit provides 2x the usual corpse hit points? As such it would be useful for feeding other units. 

WatcherOfSky likes this

2 hours ago, Hrdina_Imperia said:

Interesting. I guess the Ability of Void Maw indeed comes a bit too late at 4th Era. It's usefulness would be great an Orb earlier. What holds the unit up in the game is the passive ability, I guess, thanks to which it is still useful also in the Tier 4. 

I like the idea for the T4 Shadow kill spell! Really feels fitting for Shadow. It should probably be balanced with comparission to the Mind Control spell, considering it should be a bit weaker in general (with MC you also receive the unit unbound). Maybe it could gain an extra effect, that the killed unit provides 2x the usual corpse hit points? As such it would be useful for feeding other units. 

I was thinking about adding an extra effect like a leftover poison cloud or maybe a knockback AOE around the unit (double corpse effectiveness sounds fun too), but I think sometimes the simplest designs might just be the best in terms of understanding and using the card. My main comparison to MC was to make it cheaper, but this kind of effect really can't be too cheap.

Edited by WatcherOfSky

New player so this may have been suggested already or perhaps obvious, but I would like to see an Amii card that turns natures healing offensive,

Amii Martyr:

Passive: After being healed does 20% damage for 10s

Active ability: for 10s reflects 50% of healing received as damage to enemy units within 15m

Xamos and Kapo like this

On 1/30/2023 at 9:05 AM, Hrdina_Imperia said:

This has to be a thing in the next patch 😄

Only if the next Patch goes live on April 1st i guess xD
But it´s kinda weird that every member of the squad ends up on the exact same position, would be cool if possible that they stampede side by side^^

On 1/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, Hrdina_Imperia said:

Since it seems people still want to share their ideas, instead of making up new thread every time, I decided that it might be worth while to make a megathread, where new card suggestions can be posted. 

I like this thread already 😉
If you have the motivation, I think it would also be cool if you yourself could properly share the entries of Contest that you liked the most here as an additional reply - giving credit to the original Person who came up with the card idea of course.

image.png.09df10e5e4108ef2b1e981f5df153061.png

Here is one of my Entries: Fierce Builders!

Name: [Fierce Builders]
Tier & Orbs: [T2 Fire, one Red one neutral Orb] 
Type: [Unit] - Model of Northguards
Power: [65]
Hit points and Size: [700] plus [S]
Attack value and Type: [900] plus [melee and counter-type S]

Active Ability:

• [Forceful Construction - Activate to create a Zone with a range of 20m around the unit. Every building that is placed within that zone will be constructed 30% faster but will take 70% increased damage after fully constructed for the next 30 seconds]

The idea behind this unit is to enable a new strategy in fire-frost decks with which you can go for buildings. It would work similar to the mechanic of Phase-Tower, which can with the teleporting-Ability be used for attacking, but takes addition damage after being constructed (for comparison, Phase-Towers do take 100% increased dmg for 40sec which is worse than the suggested stats for my idea, but this would have to be tested and balanced accordingly).

Edited by Xamos

image.png.ebebec65427721027994827d8d84b801.png

And my second Entry to the Card Design Contest: Allyria (tho I changed the abilitys a little) -  An T2 Archer Hero, the beloved wife of Rogan Kayle (they would´ve just recently married, as it didn´t come up in the story yet ^^)

Name: [Allyria] 
Tier & Orbs: [T2, Neutral]
Type: [Unit] - based on the Model of a single White Ranger, but recolored to be gold and white to maybe look like a girl princess
Power: [80]
Hit points and Size: [790] [ S ] ( single S unit, able to mount Wall Segments) 
Attack value and Type: [960] [ranged and XL] 

Passive Abilities:

• [Inspiring Archery]: Allyrias presence inspires other Archers in an area of 25m around her to deal 10% increased damage and gain an additional +10m range! 
  • [Long shot]: Allyria herself has a long range of 30m

Active Abilities:

• [Coat of Swiftness]: Allyria and other S units next to her gain 40% incresed speed for 15 seconds and can't be knocked back during the duration]

Reasoning: I love archers and love the idea of having a princess for Rogan in the game. Also I think Small Units are lacking support in the game and get left behind. This card would enable fun and maybe even viable S-Unit strategies (at least in T2). And with that XL-Counter she would maybe have some nice niche usecases.

Note: She should have a longer range than normal Archers, but not too long to still be in range for her passive. Her passive should be strong to justify her use because she is a legendary card that can only be in play once, but restricted to Archers (S-units) to not be op.

PS: Numbers might have to be changed to fit the game properly. Maybe her active ability could also make s-units ignore unit-collision. Or if the steadfast would turn out to strong, instead of the steadfast a damage-reduction could be added.

Story: Allyria was not a princess by birth, but a daughter of simple rangers. Her parents named her after the 'Lyr of Old' to remember all it's glory. She learned to use the bow already in her childhood from her uncle and she was a natural talent. However, as she was a girl, she wasn't really noticed by anyone to be of good use in a real battle and even her parents held her back (because they wanted to protect her). That's why she wasn't noticed at first after the humans of lyr came back to the surface after the Twilight infestation. She moved with the people who followed Rogan Kayle. One day the got attack by Twilight Insects. Sadly her dad was killed in the ambush, but he left her a magic bow with which she was able to shoot far away and still hit. With said bow she saved Rogan Kayle's life during the ambush. He thanked her and one thing led to the other and they fell in love.

Draconnor and Hrdina_Imperia like this

I was late for the party with the Contest but it made me think about the variety of the Stonekin.
Other factions have humans, dragons, ancients, beasts and many more, but Stonekins are all elementals with metal body and blue flames.
So I thought it would be cool and thematic to add Giants, Skanes and also mortals, who stayed loyal to Giants. 

And I present the Giant's Supporter

1062236892_GiantsSupporter.png.c676c817d656b9b7ddb1eeeda15891d2.png

Abilities:
Giant's Supporter - If this unit is within 8m from an XL unit, its attack can knockback small units.

With the recent Deep Dive into Stonekin (my favorite faction since the old BF times) I got some ideas for more Stonekin buildings. With the intention of being more structure-focused, I think the faction deserves more cards in this regard. As such, I tried to come up with first support building for the faction, which could at the same time synergize with the new idea of offensive towering.  Numbers are just rudimentary. 

Mountain Spring (MS) - shrine card with supporting capabilities, that can be deployed on the frontlines. 

Freezing Stream - Every 4 seconds, the structure emits a cone shaped wave of blood-freezing water, aiming for the closest enemy unit. In the angle of 65°, up to 3 units will be frozen for 10 seconds. Affects both air and ground units. After the freeze wears off, units will be immune to Freeze for a short while. 
Underground River - 40p - Activate to connect Mountain Spring to ally structures within 40 metre diameter. If the target is damaged or under construction, mineral rich water will flow to it, restoring their health by 3% every second and providing 40% damage reduction. If the target is at full HP, Mountain Spring will instead provide a damage buff of 30%. Lasts for 20 seconds, reusable every 30 seconds. 
Fast Construction - Builds near instantly (1-2 seconds, out in the field 2-3 seconds). 
Adamant Alloy - Building takes 15% less damage.

It is good? It is stupid? Is it OP? Cannot tell. But my idea is, that MS could synergize with the intended offensive building push in mind for the faction. You can place it down quite fast into battle thanks to the fast construction, it can defend itself with the CC stream (and help setup for other units), while healing/buffing other structures, helping them to survive the onslaught, or boosting their attack capabilities. It can also be used on defensive scenarios, obviously. 

Spring.png

To add on my last post, I also envisioned a spell that can synergize with the whole buildings stuff. Currently, devs plan for the Shift spell, that will be able to transport buildings. To complement it (kinda ?) I had an idea for sort of 'clean up' card, that can help you transition to different part of map relatively fast. This would make the whole tower-push more viable, especially in rPVE. Numbers are again, just straight up thought on the spot. 

Return to the Earth 

Blessed Return - All own Stonekin buildings within area of 35 meters will be instantly destroyed. Player will immediately receive 50% of the original power cost from these buildings in his power pool, the other 50% will go to the void pool as usual. Reusable every 50 seconds. 
Infused Return - All own Stonekin buildings within area of 35 meters will be instantly destroyed. Each destroyed building will refund its own card charge, or refresh the cooldown if charges are full. Reusable every 50 seconds. 

Return1.png

Duza likes this

On 2/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, Hrdina_Imperia said:

Mountain Spring (MS) - shrine card with supporting capabilities, that can be deployed on the frontlines. 

Sounds Fun - like a combination of Frost Crystal or lost converter (can freeze enemies as T2 building) and a mixture of Wardens Sigil+Kobold Laboratory (can heal/repair friendly buildings). BUT the near instand construction-time would certainly be op. Otherwise I like it and Stonekin T2 could really use some defensive tools to freeze enemies.

I like the other one as well, refunding void power for no-longer-used buildings! 

But 

On 2/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, Hrdina_Imperia said:

or refresh the cooldown if charges are full.

doesnt make any sense right? Because if it only affects the card of the excact building you played, there always would be a charge missing because you´d hae to play the building in the first place. But refreshing charges is nice. 

Tho I´m not sure if "Return to the earth" would be thematically fitting for stonekin.

On 2/1/2023 at 6:57 PM, Duza said:

Other factions have humans, dragons, ancients, beasts and many more, but Stonekins are all elementals with metal body and blue flames.
So I thought it would be cool and thematic to add Giants, Skanes and also mortals, who stayed loyal to Giants. 

Hi, for me it makes total sense that Stonekin-Units only are Elementals. That´s what stonekin is about after all - stone coming to life by the magical power that makes them elementals. 

No offense, but I don´t like your card idea very much, and it seems pretty useless to me. Statwise but also ability-wise. And why is he called Giants Supporter if he himself gets a buff when sourrounded by a XL (not even a Giant? - Giants are only Jorne, Santa and Dreadnought). It would make more sense the other way around, that the xl-units benefits from him being around. And also an Attack that knocks back small units is useless (its literally what every L unit already does).

Edited by Xamos

On 2/6/2023 at 12:40 PM, Xamos said:

BUT the near instand construction-time would certainly be op. Otherwise I like it and Stonekin T2 could really use some defensive tools to freeze enemies.

Guess that makes sense. I wasn't sure how OP would the building be in actual application. But considering you would want to use it on frontlines, some fastened construction should be in place. Maybe not instant, but faster for sure. Other stats could be tweaked to accomodate it. 

As for the Return the Earth, I kinda thought that maybe if you somehow used a deck that also makes use of Offering, then such situation could happen. But I guess some other function for that affinity would be better. All in all, some kind of 'clean up' could be useful for the faction. Especially once it goes down the buildings route. 

Xamos likes this

I have another idea - something similar to "shatter Ice" but for Amii this time.

image.png.8dffa16df61bd39175ba7b857dab885b.png

Obliteration: [Forced decay: Spawns an Amii-Spirit with 800hp, that has immunity agains all major debuffs and starts disintegrating up to 6 enemies which are currently paralyzed within 25m around the spirit. The spawned spirit is not able to move and will vanish after his targets are fully disintegrated.]

This card would only be playable with other cards that actually paralize enemies, but I think that would create fun synergy-options.

The immunity against major debuffs such as freeze, would be necassary to not be a useless card, but the drawback of such an otherwise strong spell would be that the spirit is quite vulnerable and rather easy to kill.

Edited by Xamos

And here I have another Idea for an Amii-Card, but I´m actually not sure yet if I´d want this effect on a building or on a Unit:

[Focused perseverance: all positive status effects that are activated/gained within 20m of the unit/building last 50% longer]

This would include buffs like life-weaving and active abilites like Amii-paladin´s reflection. If its on a unit, it´d have to be on a supporter unit that can be focused down in PvP. If on a building, it could be useful in defensive scenarios in PvE.