Most and least used enemy factions in PVE

Hrdina_Imperia

For some while I pondered, which enemy factions are most common in BF campaigns, or more specifically, in general PVE. So, I decided the create that list.

Consider this as a bit of pointless info, OR as a possible motivation for future mapmakers as to whether to use some other factions than Twilight or Bandits in their creations *wink wink*.

Enemy factions ranked from most common to least (never) used:

Twilight – 14 campaigns – CAN appear in rPVE
(Encounters with Twilight; Siege of Hope; Defending Hope; The Soultree; Crusade; Sunbridge; The Treasure Fleet; Guns of Lyr; Nightmare Shard; Nightmare’s End; Ocean*; Slave Master; Insane God; Behind Enemy Lines) (not counting Introduction)

Bandits – 10 campaigns – CAN appear in rPVE
(Bad Harvest; The Dwarven Riddle; Passage of Darkness; Mo; Ocean; Slave Master; Convoy; Blight; Raven’s End; Oracle)

Stonekin – 7 campaigns – CAN appear in rPVE
(Bad Harvest; The Dwarven Riddle; King of the Giants; Convoy; Raven’s End; Ascension*; Empire*)

Fire – 3 campaigns – CAN appear in rPVE
(The Dwarven Riddle; Titans; Ascension*)

Lost Souls – 2 campaign – CAN appear in rPVE
(Empire, Passage of Darkness*)

Nature – 3 campaigns – CANNOT appear in rPVE
(Titans; Ascension; The Soultree*)

Shadow – 2 campaigns – CANOT appear in rPVE
(The Dwarven Riddle; Ascension*)

Frost – 0 campaigns - CANNOT appear in rPVE

Amii – 0 campaigns - CANNOT appear in rPVE (obviously, lack of units)

*minor appearances

There is high chance I missed some map and/or faction. Feel free to point out any mistakes.

Edit:

Some obvious insights:

Frost is not once used as an enemy, probably thanks to it's identity as an 'ally' faction within the campaigns. Amii is unusued as well, logically due to being the newest faction created shortly before the original BF shut down, so due to lack of units/cards. Most ignored actual faction seems to be Shadow, which is surprising, as it could provide lot of interesting enemies to fight. 

Lost Souls also got pretty shafted, though I personally feel it is for the best (I am staunch believer that the LS NPC units quite the unbalanced mess). 

Edited by Nemoo SK
Lans, Deadman, SunWu and 1 other like this

Some interesting things to note:
- Shadow was apparently meant to be the enemy faction (or at least some part of it?) in early stages of development.
- Nature rPvE is being worked on 

Always felt Shadow had a ton of potential as a cool enemy. 

Deadman and Lans like this

I think the frost has potential to be cool faction to play against on some large fortress-style map where you take control over the city from the outskirts of a city (first and the second monument), then you try to break through the city external walls (there's t3 there), then there's some highly defended bastion inside with t4 and finally you try to break into the most inner circle of the city defended with worldbreaker guns and other strong defensive emplacements and kill some rogue frost faction leader or something. It would be cool to play such bunkerbusting type of a map (at least it seems cool to me).
I know there are a lot of similiar maps already, but they have mostly lackluster defences and just send wave after wave of units to make sure the players aren't turtling up in the corner of the map draining their powerwells dry.

Lans likes this

Interesting bit of statistics 🙂
I personally did not expect Stonekin to be so underrepresented.

I can also warmly recommend checking out the community map section. There are some real hidden gems in there, which also make use of the lesser represented factions.

Deadman likes this

1 minute ago, Metagross31 said:

I can also warmly recommend checking out the community map section. There are some real hidden gems in there, which also make use of the lesser represented factions.

I second this, the community maps are great 

3 minutes ago, Metagross31 said:

For sure, those are great suggestion. I remember playing several maps with Frost enemies. Similiarly, my own first map used that faction, also with LS. Simply because of the novelty.

Civil War expansion when?

After Brannoc, Viridya and other major figures die there is a huge power vacuum and general disarray in the forge. It's become once again evident that nothing is untouchable and even primordial beings can be overthrown. That leads to several Skylords struggling for supremacy, with many of them going rogue. Breaking parts of the forge off and using it to erect kingdoms all over the land. The Skylords that remain in the forge are left to pick up the pieces and have to extinguish the flames of revolution and anarchy which ravage the land.

Under these circumstances you can make tons of maps where the players have to attack and defend against Skylords of various elements and other remnants of these chaotic times.

15 hours ago, Nemoo SK said:

Stonekin – 5 campaigns – CAN appear in rPVE
(Bad Harvest; The Dwarven Riddle; King of the Giants; Convoy; Raven’s End)

In empire you can also battle some Stonekin enemies. 

In Ascension at the end of map 3 there are some spawns of special units like mutating frenzy, magma hurler and a frost-skinned Stonekin warrior. 

Metagross31 likes this

1 hour ago, MephistoRoss said:

In empire you can also battle some Stonekin enemies. 

In Ascension at the end of map 3 there are some spawns of special units like mutating frenzy, magma hurler and a frost-skinned Stonekin warrior. 

True that, I rarely get to play Ascension on the map 3, so makes sense I forgot. But Empire Stonekins elude my mind even more. Will update the list. 

17 hours ago, Cocofang said:

Civil War expansion when?

After Brannoc, Viridya and other major figures die there is a huge power vacuum and general disarray in the forge. It's become once again evident that nothing is untouchable and even primordial beings can be overthrown. That leads to several Skylords struggling for supremacy, with many of them going rogue. Breaking parts of the forge off and using it to erect kingdoms all over the land. The Skylords that remain in the forge are left to pick up the pieces and have to extinguish the flames of revolution and anarchy which ravage the land.

Under these circumstances you can make tons of maps where the players have to attack and defend against Skylords of various elements and other remnants of these chaotic times.

You wont even need to have disagreement in the current Forge itself, as the game ends on a cliffhanger of Moon looking through portals and seeing other Forges. Multiverse here we come. 

Hrdina_Imperia and Lans like this

• 2 weeks later...

First of all thanks for compiling this and is certainly an interesting read!

I suppose multi-verse is possible but I am more partial to maybe just one big messy dreamscape given the role of dreams in game/lore.

Maybe far fetched but feels to me another possibility is we fight against Moon's/Shadow's take over. Looking her role in story, that she is last one standing, and what Shadow is supposed to represent, I feel like there is enough to support this idea.

Another random thought, is the player supposed to be Skylord of Frost? At least there is currently no known one and Frost is never the enemy so far...