Community run YouTube channel

Destoyerfros

Is it a good idea (worth) Creating this channel?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea (worth) Creating this channel?

• No
    • Yes

Also, I don't have a microphone. Does anyone know if there's a way to hook up my phone to my computer in such a way that I can use my phone's mic to record on OBS?

You can use a recording app on your phone, and then transfer the files to your PC. Although if you want to do some serious recording, I'd advice against it. A cheap headset a la 10 euros will give you way better quality already ;)

You can use a recording app on your phone, and then transfer the files to your PC. Although if you want to do some serious recording, I'd advice against it. A cheap headset a la 10 euros will give you way better quality already ;)

so then the sound and video will have to be synced manually? I can do that, but I'd imagine that if the video skipped a few frames it would desync the sound and make editing terrible....

Also, in a club I participate in, I've heard people say that a smartphone's mic is about equal do buying a $50 mic. If I recall correctly. But maybe I don't, or maybe the person was exaggerating.

so then the sound and video will have to be synced manually? I can do that, but I'd imagine that if the video skipped a few frames it would desync the sound and make editing terrible....

Also, in a club I participate in, I've heard people say that a smartphone's mic is about equal do buying a $50 mic. If I recall correctly. But maybe I don't, or maybe the person was exaggerating.

He might be right though, since phones have obviously improved quite a lot in the past years. I remember before buying a headset I uploaded a video with phone recorded sounds (like 5 years ago) and it was quite horrible, but audible. You should just try it and see if it works out for you ;)

EDIT: it IS actually possible to use your phone as a microphone for you PC: http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-smartphone-mic-with-your-PC/

Edited by Chimerae

i like this idea. could gameplay montages be possible? but by montages i dont mean unnecesarry dubstep, meme overegzateration etc. something like a compilation

Why could it not be possible? Having a montage of all the best moments from certain videos sounds not too bad actually. Perhaps a montage with the "epic" moments in the PvP, PvE or even rPvE gameplay videos.

Why could it not be possible? Having a montage of all the best moments from certain videos sounds not too bad actually. Perhaps a montage with the "epic" moments in the PvP, PvE or even rPvE gameplay videos.

yup my thoughts exactly :)

just as i ,entioned before no  overegzaterated dubstep and memes because it would ruin the epicness of battleforge(i think)

So then what should I do to get rid of the warning? I varied my bitrate between 3.5k and 15k with no noticeable effect. Bitrate shouldn't matter if I'm not streaming, should it?

I'm using a laptop, FYI. So I don't want to overload it. 

Also, I don't have a microphone. Does anyone know if there's a way to hook up my phone to my computer in such a way that I can use my phone's mic to record on OBS?

I've never seen that warning message, but it sounds like an error message between the output format  and encoder settings... If it doesn't affect the final video then I'd just ignore it.

Bitrate matters whether you're streaming or not, as it directly influences the quality of the recording. A lower bitrate will result in pixelated, choppy imagery (SD) while a higher bitrate transmits more data  therefore more pixels per second (HD). You're basically selecting the detail and resolution of the video.
Of course it all depends on what you're recording and the size display you're watching it on e.g. a lower bitrate (e.g. 480p or 720p) video will look good on a mobile screen but not on a 24" monitor. But if it's Minecraft you've recorded then the difference between the two will be minor :P

If I were you, I'd use the mobile to record my voice separately then add it to the video after. You might be better off doing that anyway, as it's much easier to concentrate and talk about something while not multitasking (i.e. playing). Additionally, it gives you the freedom to mix game sound with your voice and manipulate volume levels or edit the two sound stream separately etc.

I've never seen that warning message, but it sounds like an error message between the output format  and encoder settings... If it doesn't affect the final video then I'd just ignore it.

Bitrate matters whether you're streaming or not, as it directly influences the quality of the recording. A lower bitrate will result in pixelated, choppy imagery (SD) while a higher bitrate transmits more data  therefore more pixels per second (HD). You're basically selecting the detail and resolution of the video.
Of course it all depends on what you're recording and the size display you're watching it on e.g. a lower bitrate (e.g. 480p or 720p) video will look good on a mobile screen but not on a 24" monitor. But if it's Minecraft you've recorded then the difference between the two will be minor :P

If I were you, I'd use the mobile to record my voice separately then add it to the video after. You might be better off doing that anyway, as it's much easier to concentrate and talk about something while not multitasking (i.e. playing). Additionally, it gives you the freedom to mix game sound with your voice and manipulate volume levels or edit the two sound stream separately etc.

Yeah, I guess if I'm only viewing replays it doesn't matter if the sound is a few frames off. That's a good point, thanks.

Has this channel been created? The current alpha players have created a channel for the purpose of alpha videos and are thinking of possibly using it as a channel for all community content...

edit: contact me for info. I can add you to managers list for the youtube channel. I just need your email per pm

Edited by Ultrakool

Has this channel been created? The current alpha players have created a channel for the purpose of alpha videos and are thinking of possibly using it as a channel for all community content...

i dont think that the community channel is related to the alpha player channel however i cannot see why it couldnt be the same channel ;)

edit: contact me for info. I can add you to managers list for the youtube channel. I just need your email per pm

I don't know about the Alpha players channel but i haven't created a channel yet. However if it kicks off we could just carry on using it for videos for BFR

I don't know about the Alpha players channel but i haven't created a channel yet. However if it kicks off we could just carry on using it for videos for BFR

Thats what Im saying, I took this into consideration when making the account so it is actually in fact a community account being used for the alpha.

Btw what reason of making kind of "public" channel on Youtube/Twitch? It will be such spam which will make community be confused on this channel. It can make :kaboom::kaboom:.

I know what you wanted to plan. BUT...is it reasonable? Maybe separated channels with own content would make a group of channel. This will make the choice be easier and finding of other channels too. Also, it will promote other channels with subs, isn't it?

Btw what reason of making kind of "public" channel on Youtube/Twitch? It will be such spam which will make community be confused on this channel. It can make :kaboom::kaboom:.

I know what you wanted to plan. BUT...is it reasonable? Maybe separated channels with own content would make a group of channel. This will make the choice be easier and finding of other channels too. Also, it will promote other channels with subs, isn't it?

If done properly, having a centralized community ran Youtube/twitch channel will insure that members don't have to follow multiple different channels for content, and would have to just check this one channel. Logically speaking, if our time and effort is properly combined together, we will basically combine the views/subscribers and likes from all the different channels into one, big and solid community channel. This would effectively make it grow faster than having a bunch of separate channels, since it would get more recognized. 

If done properly, having a centralized community ran Youtube/twitch channel will insure that members don't have to follow multiple different channels for content, and would have to just check this one channel. Logically speaking, if our time and effort is properly combined together, we will basically combine the views/subscribers and likes from all the different channels into one, big and solid community channel. This would effectively make it grow faster than having a bunch of separate channels, since it would get more recognized. 

Maybe. It's IMHO, so just Wait and See.

I would love to take part in this, the only problem is that I'm pretty bad at the game. xD

The thing I can envision is something in the style of "A noob's journey to legend" or something similar. That's all in the future though.

On a sidenote, I do know my way around editing and such, if that's a choking point.

Maybe. It's IMHO, so just Wait and See.

I agree with Lada here.

Having a centralized YT channel is an easy way to insure that all profits go to the right place: the project. Think of it as something akin to the Yogscast or Gamegrumps where multiple people collaborate on a single channel.

I would love to take part in this, the only problem is that I'm pretty bad at the game. xD

The thing I can envision is something in the style of "A noob's journey to legend" or something similar. That's all in the future though.

On a sidenote, I do know my way around editing and such, if that's a choking point.

I agree with Lada here.

Having a centralized YT channel is an easy way to insure that all profits go to the right place: the project. Think of it as something akin to the Yogscast or Gamegrumps where multiple people collaborate on a single channel.

We could do a series where I play a bunch of games with you and I criticize everything you do live :). That way you learn, I get to practice creative insults, and the community can see "the amateur's mind," to quote from a successful chess book that does the same thing.

We could do a series where I play a bunch of games with you and I criticize everything you do live :). That way you learn, I get to practice creative insults, and the community can see "the amateur's mind," to quote from a successful chess book that does the same thing.

That sounds like a hilarious idea. Makes me think of Conan O'Brian's clueless gamer series (reversed) :D

We could do a series where I play a bunch of games with you and I criticize everything you do live :). That way you learn, I get to practice creative insults, and the community can see "the amateur's mind," to quote from a successful chess book that does the same thing.

Oh good lord that sounds fun! Please hold on to that idea, haha.

Im very interested in making pve content (normal pve guides, deck guides, 2,4,8 player maps solo and  so on). I maid many movies for different games (WoT,WoW,some strategy games). The problem is, that my englisch is not very good, so these content would be in german.

That sounds like a fun idea..ill add it to the original post so it wont get lost and people can discuss it. 

Also as @Ladadoos said the idea for one YouTube channel instead of multiple ones is so all the content is in one place and hopefully this would lead to larger subscriber and viewer numbers, which in turn advertise the game more. 

@Lohle Sounds great! thanks for wanting to be a part of this, i shall add you to the list.

If anyone else wants to be a part of this, just post what you would like to help with :)

• 2 years later...

Wow, no one's touched this in a long time....

With the recent influx of PvP players making videos (I've seen @RadicalX and @FlameForge make their own channels), we might want to decide rules for who should contribute to the community channel, etc. I think like 90% of the videos on there are mine right now....

I like awkwardly have 3 youtube channels, and I post most of them to the community channel...which means that most people only watch the community channel ones, and ignore the replays on my Eirias_BFR channel. So I'm trying to figure out if I should cut back on posting in the community channel to let "new blood" into the community channel (which means I'd post 70-90% of my videos on my personal channel, instead of vice versa), or I can continue to post most videos on the community channel, and turn my personal channel into something for strange replays, livecasts, Smash4 and other games, etc. Why do y'all think?

Matejob likes this