Community run YouTube channel

Destoyerfros

Is it a good idea (worth) Creating this channel?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea (worth) Creating this channel?

• No
    • Yes

Greetings,

This idea has already been discussed, however i would like to elaborate and bring together a team which could run the Channel. So the idea is to create a community run Battleforge Youtube channel, and possibly also a Twitch Channel. This would most likely occur when the game is playable, but first we would need a group to run it.

Myself and @Treim Disscussed this in the shoutbox and figured it would be better to have a Channel run by several players to have the highest commentaries for both PvP and PvE. This means obviosly we need both PvE and PvP players to run the channel, or say, 3 PvP and 3 PvE players.

In addition to this we would also require GFX artists and 'Editors' to make the content far more enjoyable for all to watch. Also some players who fill the gaps by uploading Walk throughs, Tips, tutorials, speedruns and random funny content (Necrospaz? :P)

If we were also going into Twitch and streaming we would require people with waaay too much free time on their hands, and also from what experience ive had, also require a good internet connection and decent PC specs (Would be useful if you could post these if interested)  

So if you have any ideas/tips please post below, and also if you would like to help run the channel, post in which department you would like to get involved in.

I'm not sure if you would get any recognition on the forums if you were part of the YouTube Channel, but maybe a title or some overly fancy art could be implemented.

Possible List so far:

PvP: xHightech (Twitch) Skytrias (ranked 1v1/2v2 + Streaming) Eirias (1v1/2v2) Devilwarrior1699 (German + Twitch) Hirooo (Twitch + Ytube) 

PvE: @Lohle (German)

GFX/ Editors:

General game play: @Treim (rpve content, like random fun decks and speedruns.) Francolocarp (Spanish) 

Other Ideas: 

@Eirias - "We could do a series where I play a bunch of games with you and I criticize everything you do live :). That way you learn, I get to practice creative insults, and the community can see "the amateur's mind," to quote from a successful chess book that does the same thing."

Edited by Destoyerfros

This idea looks good so far, but I would like to add a suggestion.

We could consider adding ads if this idea is successful and the channel has a decent amount of viewers/subscribers at one point.

I am sure that (almost) everyone wouldn't mind having to watch a couple of ads here and there, since they would want to support this project. I'm aware that it does take a good amount of views to get a decent amount of money. Although, we don't really lose much if this idea fails: If we get money, great. We donate it to the server. If it does not get big enough and we don't get enough money, we tried but didn't lose anything.

I don't see any obvious downsides of this suggestion. Perhaps there are some? Let us know!

[quote='ladadoos' pid='11199' dateline='1438264774']
This idea looks good so far, but I would like to add a suggestion.

We could consider adding ads if this idea is successful and the channel has a decent amount of viewers/subscribers at one point.

I am sure that (almost) everyone wouldn't mind having to watch a couple of ads here and there, since they would want to support this project. I'm aware that it does take a good amount of views to get a decent amount of money. Although, we don't really lose much if this idea fails: If we get money, great. We donate it to the server. If it does not get big enough and we don't get enough money, we tried but didn't lose anything.

I don't see any obvious downsides of this suggestion. Perhaps there are some? Let us know!
[/quote]

It sounds like a good idea and as you said, it does not have many downsides. Im not sure what the criteria is to advertise on Youtube but for Twitch:
[color=#32323e][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]To qualify as a Twitch Partner, we look for:[/font][/color]
[color=#32323e][font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Average veiwership of 500+ (I've heard they still accept lower ones though)[/font][/color]
[color=#32323e][font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Regular Broadcast scedual[/font][/color]
[color=#32323e][font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Conform to the Terms of service + DMCA Guidelines.
[/font][/color]

[color=#32323e][font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Also I recommend using OBS for streaming + recording (What I use) It is free and has a lot of features + videos don't take up too much space like with fraps[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Destroyerfros

Nice idea, I would love to help you guys out with some PvP ranked content, be it 1v1 live or 2v2 live. I can also livestream on twitch, my pc specs should be able to handle that. I've already streamed BF back in the day, with my shitty pc and bad internet and there were people who already enjoyed that ^^ So im pretty sure i wont be able to stream in 60 fps, since that'll take a lot of upload speed and i only have 1mbps upload right now. I also streamed some music production, which for the most part just uses alot of processing power, so not really that much graphic wise but i was able to stream in 1080p30fps. 

For the most part thats just trying out options on OBS and researching a little bit. With OBS i can upload 60 fps videos on YT, and it worked pretty good! So, livestreaming in 1080p30fps and videos in 1080p60fps. Well, if BF even is in 60fps which i hope it is, since it will just look more smoothly. 

My plans were to make my own YouTube channel but for now im 100% sure it would be the best to make a group channel, since people dont have to subscribe to dozens of youtubers then. So again, I would do 1vs1 live laddering with my main account, for a change of pace i would also do 2vs2 with my cousin, which would also be live. But these will only be recorded and the be uploaded. I dont want these to be streamed because on my stream i want to do something, that will entertain the viewers more. So i thought of something like, me laddering with a deck of the viewers choice on a different account.

Its still in devolopment but i definetly want my streams to be more interactive, have visual feedback with a nice webcam and just be more close to the viewers that way. I think that is what is the most important for streamers that have a lot of viewers. Interaction, (visual) feedback such as seeing my reactions and me talking with them and then playing and having fun with them :)

I would gladly help you guys out with your channel ^^ I can pm you my skype and such if youre interested 

Hey Destroyerfros

Nice idea, I would love to help you guys out with some PvP ranked content, be it 1v1 live or 2v2 live. I can also livestream on twitch, my pc specs should be able to handle that. I've already streamed BF back in the day, with my shitty pc and bad internet and there were people who already enjoyed that ^^ So im pretty sure i wont be able to stream in 60 fps, since that'll take a lot of upload speed and i only have 1mbps upload right now. I also streamed some music production, which for the most part just uses alot of processing power, so not really that much graphic wise but i was able to stream in 1080p30fps. 

For the most part thats just trying out options on OBS and researching a little bit. With OBS i can upload 60 fps videos on YT, and it worked pretty good! So, livestreaming in 1080p30fps and videos in 1080p60fps. Well, if BF even is in 60fps which i hope it is, since it will just look more smoothly. 

My plans were to make my own YouTube channel but for now im 100% sure it would be the best to make a group channel, since people dont have to subscribe to dozens of youtubers then. So again, I would do 1vs1 live laddering with my main account, for a change of pace i would also do 2vs2 with my cousin, which would also be live. But these will only be recorded and the be uploaded. I dont want these to be streamed because on my stream i want to do something, that will entertain the viewers more. So i thought of something like, me laddering with a deck of the viewers choice on a different account.

Its still in devolopment but i definetly want my streams to be more interactive, have visual feedback with a nice webcam and just be more close to the viewers that way. I think that is what is the most important for streamers that have a lot of viewers. Interaction, (visual) feedback such as seeing my reactions and me talking with them and then playing and having fun with them :)

I would gladly help you guys out with your channel ^^ I can pm you my skype and such if youre interested 

Hey @Skytrias Thanks for the feedback! It would be great to have you on board with some PvP content! It would be useful if you, or anyone interested could PM their Skype to me, so we can create a group for the channel to disscuss ideas further, or just contact me on my Skype.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm all for a community run channel, but I can't contribute anything at the moment cause I live in a shared apartment where the only computer with decent internet doesn't allow me to install fraps or the game. But when I move back (next summer) I could start making videos at home. 

i'm interesting in uploading things. I've never recorded anything on my computer, but I have given live commentary on replays to live people, so I know I can do that.

So I'm more than willing to pitch in and upload 1v1 or 2v2 commentaries, but I'll need someone to show me the ropes regarding recording software. (I'm fine on video editing.)

i'm interesting in uploading things. I've never recorded anything on my computer, but I have given live commentary on replays to live people, so I know I can do that.

So I'm more than willing to pitch in and upload 1v1 or 2v2 commentaries, but I'll need someone to show me the ropes regarding recording software. (I'm fine on video editing.)

cool to hear that. well i use OBS for recording. its free and easy + there are many tutorials out there for how to e.g. record in 60fps. what else do you need to know about recording?

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, its been awhile sorry.

I have updated the main post with people who have been interested in uploading videos to the channel, and i thank you for your efforts to help the channel.

If you do have skype add me (frostfreeze4) so a group can be created.

Also @Eirias Yes the Videos can be recorded in .mp4 format and take up a lot less space then videos from fraps, also the software offers a lot more features, especially with streaming.

Count me interested. Might want to contribute to the PvE part. I wasn't one of the pros but beat more than half of the maps on expert (without access to all cards at U3 or looking up guides online) and played rPvE at the 8 difficulty, sometimes 9 (depending on the teammates).

So while that is not very impressive I am at least a bit experienced and would like to maybe contribute to the youtube channel on the English/German side. Eventually I might even get into Twitch but I don't know about that yet.

I could also add some (r)PvE content. Never really got into PvP but I might try it out in the remake, since everybody has to come up with new strategies due to the lack of cards in the start of the game. Will probably lead to some interesting strats!

I feel everyone in the same channel will have too much video with different views. I mean sucribing will be a spam of video of any kind so as sucriber we will have to filtre ourself. I prefer personnal channel where you can follow who you like instead of the whole community.

• 2 weeks later...

So I figured out some of the basics of OBS. Anyone have any tips for what settings to use (I have no idea what bitrate is for instance). When I record is says WARNING: HIGH ENCODING in red letters, but it doesn't seem to be adversely affecting anything.

So I figured out some of the basics of OBS. Anyone have any tips for what settings to use (I have no idea what bitrate is for instance). When I record is says WARNING: HIGH ENCODING in red letters, but it doesn't seem to be adversely affecting anything.

Bitrate is just that. The rate at which bits are transferred i.e. the higher the number, the more information is transmitted therefore you get higher quality audio and video. Kind of like bandwith, if you will.

I'm using about 10k video bitrate (at 1920 x 1200) with an audio bitrate of 320 to avoid grainy image. My advice is not to change the base resolution at all, because downsampling will cause further ssues.

Bitrate is just that. The rate at which bits are transferred i.e. the higher the number, the more information is transmitted therefore you get higher quality audio and video. Kind of like bandwith, if you will.

I'm using about 10k video bitrate (at 1920 x 1200) with an audio bitrate of 320 to avoid grainy image. My advice is not to change the base resolution at all, because downsampling will cause further ssues.

So then what should I do to get rid of the warning? I varied my bitrate between 3.5k and 15k with no noticeable effect. Bitrate shouldn't matter if I'm not streaming, should it?

I'm using a laptop, FYI. So I don't want to overload it. 

Also, I don't have a microphone. Does anyone know if there's a way to hook up my phone to my computer in such a way that I can use my phone's mic to record on OBS?