How to Build a (PvP) Deck [Guide]

Eirias

Is there any way to change the textbox background color?

Unfortunately,as far as I know, there is no way to change the textbox background color. If i'm correct, this is also a feature that won't be added.

Alright, I updated this a little bit and fixed the formatting. The color schemed is a bit off though.

Is there any way to change the textbox background color?

Hi Eirias What is your old bafo rank (Just Asking ^^ ) Nice Guide Btw

Edited by SweetPotato

Hi Eirias What is your old bafo rank (Just Asking ^^ ) Nice Guide Btw

When I made my "push" to have the ranking I could (tbh, 2/3 the reason I played fire stalker and rogan kayle was just because I like them so much), I averaged around Hero. I went up to warchief (maybe higher?) once or twice. When the game ended I believe I was legend, but I didn't have the full activity bonus. There just wasn't enough people playing, especially in my time zone. It was also very difficult to make my way up the ELO chain because I played against noobs a lot. 30 minutes (counting wait time) for about 50 ELO. And If I happened to disconnect, or I lost because of a critical lag, I would lose about 2000 ELO. Against better players, I fared respectably (if I do say so myself). Since I got good enough to keep track, I had--as I recall--an even score against Flameworkz and xAragronx. I'm pretty sure I took a few games off of TBPeti, but he definitely had an overall plus score against me. I rarely played against anyone else good in 1v1 because time difference. I usually felt confident every time I encountered a Hero or below in matchmaking, because I knew my ranking was a bit deflated. In 2v2, I played a lot against PYCAK, LagOps, YenGFarm, the Myo's, DrSerg, etc; going fairly even with them depending on my partner. If that gives you an idea. 

So I'm not the best player by a long shot, but I don't think there were any players that I didn't have the potential to beat. I also feel I'm uniquely qualified to write this guide (at least the fire-nat part) because I spent so long tinkering with my deck and trying to rebel against the "standard" fire-nat deck. Also, this isn't a guide to become #1, this a guide to get out of noobdom :)

Perfectly written m8, I r8 +1/8

No really, a good job on this, I think it is an excelent guide as it includes not only the cards, but especially  the reasons WHY these cards are good and usefull

Thank you for this summary!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm still working on it though, so expect updates for the other factions when allbfcards is accessible again.

Thank you for your kind words! I'm still working on it though, so expect updates for the other factions when allbfcards is accessible again.

Nice. I also need all the card list for personal purposes

If you needed help, you are welcome to ask for anything

Nice. I also need all the card list for personal purposes

If you needed help, you are welcome to ask for anything

Absolutely! I'll welcome help from anyone who knows what he's doing! What factions did you play, and at what level?

You can start by critiquing my shadow and nature t1, because I have literally never used them. My entire experience is written from secondhand information. I have to imagine what a nature v. shadow matchup looks like, for instance, because I've never seen one. If you have a better idea of what cards help shadow deal with MA spam, or what cards help nature handle phase towers,  or anything like that, it'd be great.

Absolutely! I'll welcome help from anyone who knows what he's doing! What factions did you play, and at what level?

You can start by critiquing my shadow and nature t1, because I have literally never used them. My entire experience is written from secondhand information. I have to imagine what a nature v. shadow matchup looks like, for instance, because I've never seen one. If you have a better idea of what cards help shadow deal with MA spam, or what cards help nature handle phase towers,  or anything like that, it'd be great.

I mained Shadow for some time, I wasnt really good at it, but understood the basic mechanics 

Shadow isnt a deck for new players, it requires upgrades and skill, things I did not have too much

On the other hand, it is surely most fun to play.

I didnt use Witchclaws, but I did use Wrathblades, as they were my favourite S/S counters. Nasty surprise was really good against Fire T1 rush, and combining Shadow Phoenix with Embalmers Shrine made it come back almost always 

Also be carefull with Phase Tower rush, when they are split up, their range is rangerous even against Fire with Eruptions 

Life Weaving is better than Unholy Power when these two fight against each other, a bit tricky when any creature is CC'd

If I remember some more stuff, I will let you know

When Nature is concerned, it was my least favourite deck thus I dont have much experience with...

When I made my "push" to have the ranking I could (tbh, 2/3 the reason I played fire stalker and rogan kayle was just because I like them so much), I averaged around Hero. I went up to warchief (maybe higher?) once or twice. When the game ended I believe I was legend, but I didn't have the full activity bonus. There just wasn't enough people playing, especially in my time zone. It was also very difficult to make my way up the ELO chain because I played against noobs a lot. 30 minutes (counting wait time) for about 50 ELO. And If I happened to disconnect, or I lost because of a critical lag, I would lose about 2000 ELO. Against better players, I fared respectably (if I do say so myself). Since I got good enough to keep track, I had--as I recall--an even score against Flameworkz and xAragronx. I'm pretty sure I took a few games off of TBPeti, but he definitely had an overall plus score against me. I rarely played against anyone else good in 1v1 because time difference. I usually felt confident every time I encountered a Hero or below in matchmaking, because I knew my ranking was a bit deflated. In 2v2, I played a lot against PYCAK, LagOps, YenGFarm, the Myo's, DrSerg, etc; going fairly even with them depending on my partner. If that gives you an idea. 

I wonder if we ever played against each other... Cause ur description pretty much matches mine ;) 

First of all nice work :D seems like you put alot of effort into this, but there are some things i would like to mention:

Skeleton Warriors:

Pretty much one of the most underrated T1-cards. I still wouldn't recommend them if you intend to play a small T1 (dreadcharger, forsaken, nox & nasty are essential for shadow T1), but skeleton warriors gave you a huge advantage in shadow mirrors as long as your opponent doesn't use them aswell. You had to deal 1650 effective damage to clear them with their tank ability (frenzy forsaken can deal only around 1080 damage in 20 seconds). In theory you could even 1v1 wrathblades which are supposed to counter s-units.

There was no efficient way to clear them so what happens if you ignore them? The answer ist easy because skeleton warriors had 660hp which makes nasty surprise super dangerous. Aside from that you could use them to rush your opponent. He just needs to take 1 power well & you could rush him for sure even against phase tower since skeleton warriors are unkillable which means 30 seconds of free hits on the power well which results in 900 damage. Forsaken spam will do the rest as long as you split your units well.  

This is why i would recommend to play them at least once in your unit compostition against shadow.

Nature T1 swift unit:

I really like the fact that you point out amazon & werebeasts as viable options but it is important to note that swiftclaw is essential in nature mirrors* and against that nasty frostmagespam**.

(because it's the only unit that allows you to deal enough damage to kill anything of your opponent in the early game -> dyrad & shaman outsustain you otherwise)

** (you have to attack your opponent asap because home soil gets more and more efficent with more units on the board. If you can't intercept the mages early with swiftclaws you have to skip T1 even with treespirits since ice barriers can block the damage)

Magma Hurler:

short comment -> Unit was useless without cc because it was possible to dodge the attack by changing the movement direction during the attack animation. Had a 4 second delay between attacks so it was possible to kill him without losing a single hitpoint.

Spearman:

They were more than just good against shadow. Pretty essential card in a nature mirror -> just switch to M counter, it would deal alot of damage and was nearly unkillable itself. 

Embalmers Shrine:

That rumor you mentioned was true btw. -> it was possible to gain your entire voidpower back immediatly which means as long as you play a spell/nukebased deck you get nearly unlimited power (was one of the strongest combos of all time, but got nerfed at some point). But there weren't many players who used this to full efficiency so it wasn't the most popular thing in pvp ...

Rogan Kayle:

Not sure if you mentioned this already (it's a long guide ^^), but Rogan Kayle was strong as a supportive XL counter since you could stack cc with his ability (Oink duration doesn't get reduced if you use it after Rogans ability). Used that in my shadow nature deck and it was pretty useful against harvester.

Tunnel:

Okay it wasn't the strongest card, but it was used sometimes. I remember Kyllbuster using Tunnel in a tournament against me to support his attacks and retreat (I think you could even dodge cc like coldsnap for example). Still not the most relevant card

At the end I just want to thank you for all the work you put into this ^-^

Best regards,

RadicalX

First of all nice work

Magma Hurler was best shit eva.

Root and Banditlancers ~40m magmapowpow!

Some players just dont see the beauty of that tho and Ashebones outclassed magma hurler at everything

but the fact that they dont work with the banditlancer rangebuff.

About shadow t1:

Using witchclaws is a really bad idea as long as you can afford a dreadcharger.

They get eaten alive by windweavers since they could concentrate their damage here.

Dreadcharger does have 30 less hp than witchclaws. He deals a bit less damage but since you lose 50% of your dps as soon as one of the witchclaws dies 

he was way better. The only "use" for the witchclawability would be to defend wallmortars but the dreadcharger ability onto frenzyed forsacken made him also in this regard way better. On top of this his spawnanimation is faster and he costs 5 less.

+1 for Radis opinion on skeletonwarriors. Very strong card in a mirror and still good against fire.

Executor gives you a wider range of aggression against frost t1 so if you ever stumble over a player who is known for playing with frost t1 you can use them for a wellrush.

Useless in every other matchup.

Snapjaws where usefull against sunderer because a high energy t1 would result in a undefendable sunderer+eruption attack without them.

Most of the decks did not have the slots for this tho.

On soulsplicer:

You used to be able to get corpses out of the building itselfs when collecting over it with balmers active.

Unlimited corpses next to a FoF results in an empty voidpool.

They changed it so splicer can no longer collect out of himself. IIRC Embalmers + FoF still works.

On soulsplicer:

You used to be able to get corpses out of the building itselfs when collecting over it with balmers active.

Unlimited corpses next to a FoF results in an empty voidpool.

They changed it so splicer can no longer collect out of himself. IIRC Embalmers + FoF still works.

im pretty sure embalmers didnt worked with fof anymore.

They changed it so splicer can no longer collect out of himself. IIRC Embalmers + FoF still works

I'm pretty sure you could still use that combination after the "fix". It was just a little slower beacuase embalmers didn't increase the energy of fof.

Edit: Like Treim said :D

Edited by Chibiterasu

I'm pretty sure you could still use that combination after the "fix". It was just a little slower beacuase embalmers didn't increase the energy of fof.

Edit: Like Treim said :D

oh and splicer wasnt able to fill it up itself anymore. you could still give the power that was in the splicer to the furnace but it was only the power that you sucked up before and nothing more

I wonder if we ever played against each other... Cause ur description pretty much matches mine ;) 

Yeah, you seem familiar to me as well. What was your avatar and your faction? Did you have a scythe fiends avatar?

First of all nice work :D seems like you put alot of effort into this, but there are some things i would like to mention:

Skeleton Warriors:

Pretty much one of the most underrated T1-cards. I still wouldn't recommend them if you intend to play a small T1 (dreadcharger, forsaken, nox & nasty are essential for shadow T1), but skeleton warriors gave you a huge advantage in shadow mirrors as long as your opponent doesn't use them aswell. You had to deal 1650 effective damage to clear them with their tank ability (frenzy forsaken can deal only around 1080 damage in 20 seconds). In theory you could even 1v1 wrathblades which are supposed to counter s-units.

There was no efficient way to clear them so what happens if you ignore them? The answer ist easy because skeleton warriors had 660hp which makes nasty surprise super dangerous. Aside from that you could use them to rush your opponent. He just needs to take 1 power well & you could rush him for sure even against phase tower since skeleton warriors are unkillable which means 30 seconds of free hits on the power well which results in 900 damage. Forsaken spam will do the rest as long as you split your units well.  

This is why i would recommend to play them at least once in your unit compostition against shadow.

Nature T1 swift unit:

I really like the fact that you point out amazon & werebeasts as viable options but it is important to note that swiftclaw is essential in nature mirrors* and against that nasty frostmagespam**.

(because it's the only unit that allows you to deal enough damage to kill anything of your opponent in the early game -> dyrad & shaman outsustain you otherwise)

** (you have to attack your opponent asap because home soil gets more and more efficent with more units on the board. If you can't intercept the mages early with swiftclaws you have to skip T1 even with treespirits since ice barriers can block the damage)

Magma Hurler:

short comment -> Unit was useless without cc because it was possible to dodge the attack by changing the movement direction during the attack animation. Had a 4 second delay between attacks so it was possible to kill him without losing a single hitpoint.

Spearman:

They were more than just good against shadow. Pretty essential card in a nature mirror -> just switch to M counter, it would deal alot of damage and was nearly unkillable itself. 

Embalmers Shrine:

That rumor you mentioned was true btw. -> it was possible to gain your entire voidpower back immediatly which means as long as you play a spell/nukebased deck you get nearly unlimited power (was one of the strongest combos of all time, but got nerfed at some point). But there weren't many players who used this to full efficiency so it wasn't the most popular thing in pvp ...

Rogan Kayle:

Not sure if you mentioned this already (it's a long guide ^^), but Rogan Kayle was strong as a supportive XL counter since you could stack cc with his ability (Oink duration doesn't get reduced if you use it after Rogans ability). Used that in my shadow nature deck and it was pretty useful against harvester.

Tunnel:

Okay it wasn't the strongest card, but it was used sometimes. I remember Kyllbuster using Tunnel in a tournament against me to support his attacks and retreat (I think you could even dodge cc like coldsnap for example). Still not the most relevant card

At the end I just want to thank you for all the work you put into this ^-^

Best regards,

RadicalX

and @Hirooo: Thanks! I updated the guide to include y'all's comments. @RadicalX it's funny that you mention Rogan because my fire-nature section is basically a love song dedicated to him :)

oh and splicer wasnt able to fill it up itself anymore. you could still give the power that was in the splicer to the furnace but it was only the power that you sucked up before and nothing more

Do I need to change something on my guide? Am I inaccurate? Or are you guys just discussing the finer points? I never abused the combo myself, and I feel that discussing how it works is probably too complicated for the average reader of my guide. 

Do I need to change something on my guide? Am I inaccurate? Or are you guys just discussing the finer points? I never abused the combo myself, and I feel that discussing how it works is probably too complicated for the average reader of my guide. 

i am just telling them that the whole combo got unplayable because embalmers shrine doesnt work with soul splicer and/or fof anymore. fof can still absorb energy of splicer though( its just not that infinite amount, but the exact number that it sucked up before), no need to change if you have it impemented as i just described

i am just telling them that the whole combo got unplayable because embalmers shrine doesnt work with soul splicer and/or fof anymore. fof can still absorb energy of splicer though( its just not that infinite amount, but the exact number that it sucked up before), no need to change if you have it impemented as i just described

You totally didn't read this!:(

No, all I did was hint at the existence of a combo.:)

Yeah, you seem familiar to me as well. What was your avatar and your faction? Did you have a scythe fiends avatar?

I mainly played Fire Nature (rarely with shadow or frost t3) I dont remember my avatar... might have been sunstriders though... Is there a list with all the avatars that I could check?

You totally didn't read this!:(

No, all I did was hint at the existence of a combo.:)

i didnt read it like completely, only in parts and thats some days ago.

thats not because youre making bad work but more that im not as interested in pvp.

i will check what you wrote exactly and give you some feedback then

This has more uses than the decomposer. It works well with some pure shadow techniques, but doesn’t combo well with anything t1 except soul splicer. Rumor has it there’s an interesting combo with this card, soul splicer, and furnace of flesh, but I wouldn’t trust everything you hear. . . .

I guess that can get deleted then.

there are some other nice synergies but im not sure if those are viable for pvp so ill just list them and someone else can choose if its viable or not:

• undead army
  • corpse explosion
  • shadow phoenix
  • there are more but thats what i can think of without allbfcards

Wow, just wow, amazing detailed guide. I didn't read everything but all I saw is true.

Undeath army is good against pure fire.

Corpse explosion, remember the combo with harvester?

Shadow pheonix, a must have in pure shadow and lost soul.

Nature/Frost -> While most player play the way you said, about army control and stacking army. My style is different and I play a lot with void pool and don't try to stack anything (because it's isolated energie on the field, so the voidpool is alway low) and unless i'm against pure frost or another stonekin or people force it, I'm not going to play passively. Overall because of the counter action, the one who initiate fight has advantage especially in a multiple split attack where you need to count the reaction time of the defenser.

Frost -> I would also add frost has the highest ratio cost/stat with stoneshard.

Edited by Aragorn

Wow, just wow, amazing detailed guide. I didn't read everything but all I saw is true.

Undeath army is good against pure fire.

Corpse explosion, remember the combo with harvester?

Shadow pheonix, a must have in pure shadow and lost soul.

Nature/Frost -> While most player play the way you said, about army control and stacking army. My style is different and I play a lot with void pool and don't try to stack anything (because it's isolated energie on the field, so the voidpool is alway low) and unless i'm against pure frost or another stonekin or people force it, I'm not going to play passively. Overall because of the counter action, the one who initiate fight has advantage especially in a multiple split attack where you need to count the reaction time of the defenser.

Frost -> I would also add frost has the highest ratio cost/stat with stoneshard.

Thank you for the comments! I shall make note of these when I get around to those factions. I'm a bit stalled out right now because I don't have access to allbfcards, but I hope to continue this when that gets back on the site.

I'm not sure if shadow phoenix is essential with lost souls though. I knew lots of players that didn't use them.

Shadow Pheonix -> Stronger in 2v2, in 1v1 you need something against fire dancer cliff, but it's true many dont try to defend too much and just give it up. @Eirias

I thought shad-frost used a reaver or nightcrawler to reach the dancers while kobold or glacier shell on the well? AoC also works, doesn't it?