RPvE Enemy Selection Options

nukie

Hi,

I don't see it mentioned previously, as more and more enemy types are getting added into RPvE (nature coming, I assume frost and shadow down the line). It would be nice to see an option in matchmaking to be able to pick the enemy you can face, nature, fire, LS, twlight etc while also still keeping a button to select random. Even if there was a way to keep it "limited random", for example can select a few options at once for the game to pick from. 

It would be cool to pre-select a faction you would like to play. MotM is already this in a way but it will be a random one each month. It would be cool if there is an option to get only fire, or only lost souls to practice fun decks in. Although I think that would take the "random" part out of rpve then. 

I am curious to other opinions on this ^^

Kapo likes this

options are multiple.

The most complicated one would be to create selection with sliders in the UI, then send that selection to the server, server would send it back to the game, and game would modify the probabilities based on that, but it would also require to change replay format 😞 so some work on server, lot of work in the UI, and lot of work in the client (because I have no clue how to change the replay format)
Rewards could be proportionally decreased.

Another option is to create an UI with check-boxes, then send these check boxes to the server, and server will be skipping seeds until it find one that have that have the wanted. Small work on server, and not that much work in UI (if you can find place for it), that would require no changes to the client because replay would already have all needed information.
Rewards could be proportionally decreased. for example 0 if you select only 1 option, and 100% if you select everything.

And another option I can think of is for test server only user config file that would define this. It would be only small change in the client, and test server replays are not guaranteed to work for others anyway.

And one more option is to open the editor and generate the map yourself, and then play it in the community map section. (No changes required)

Metagross31 likes this

3 hours ago, Kubik said:

Another option is to create an UI with check-boxes, then send these check boxes to the server, and server will be skipping seeds until it find one that have that have the wanted. Small work on server, and not that much work in UI (if you can find place for it), that would require no changes to the client because replay would already have all needed information.
Rewards could be proportionally decreased. for example 0 if you select only 1 option, and 100% if you select everything.

I personally think this is a good way of implementation, there is still the fully random option but also the option (as Kapo said for training/testing purposes) to pick certain enemies. By decreasing the rewards it prevents a certain enemy (bandits 😉) being pick every time just to gain gold however you still gain a little something for the time spent on that map.

Maybe another option is to just have 3 options in matchmaking when it comes to the enemy, "original" (50% gold reward) - this is then just selecting from the original enemies (LS, Stone, Bandit, Twilight), "Pure Enemy" (50% gold reward) - This is then pure enemy types (Fire, Nature, Frost, Shadow. Once all added) and then " Complete Random" (100% gold reward)? It keeps the randomness a factor in the game mode while still allowing some training against certain types with gold still an incentive to play. 

I  agree downloading them as community maps is another way however I personally would be put off by the lack of any reward for your efforts, especially when a player is fairly new to RPvE and needing 1) time to play the same enemy to learn good strategies, while 2) gaining some gold to upgrade cards. 

4 hours ago, Kubik said:

This sounds like an awesome solution, and very appealing.

If you scale the rewards correctly, you can "punish" players who deselect Fire/Lost, but they still get something, and if you just want to test you can do it - I think noone cares about the rewards while testing; but you still get the time recorded for the daily bonus and can make quests - so it's not nothing

I see no downsides to this.

Edit: Also, the contest people could make contests against specific rPvE Enemies without waiting for the right MotM to come up, which might come very handy.

Edited by Kapo
Metagross31 likes this