Rocket Tower - Upcoming Changes

WindHunter

As part of our upcoming tower rebalance, Rocket Tower will be receiving the following proposed changes. Please note that all changes proposed here are provisional and as such as subject to change:

Iteration 1
1. Orb cost: 2 Fire --> 1 Fire, 1 Neutral
2. Power cost: 80p --> 70p
3. Life points: 2000 --> 1480
4. Reduce collision box to match model size
5. Rocket Barrage: 
   (a) Total rockets: 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 --> 1 / 2 / 3 / 4
   (b) Attack speed: Every 5 seconds --> every 4 seconds
   (c) Damage per rocket: 85 --> 90
   (d) Bugfix: Fix target homing to prevent rocket from missing

Iteration 1 Goals
Fire T2 currently lacks a splash tower, while Pure Fire T2 has 2 towers. We think Pyromaniac sufficiently fills the slot of T2 tower for Pure Fire, so we are transitioning Rocket Tower into a splash card. As part of this change, we will be cutting down on its large pool of life points while otherwise increasing the consistency of Rocket Tower, both in terms of knockback and damage dealing. Even with the cost decrease, this change will make Rocket Tower mildly less stat against large groups in exchange for a lower start up cost and the ability to consistently knockback multiple enemies due to the fixed targeting and increased rate of fire. These changes should allow Rocket Tower to fulfill its role as a knockback-centric tower while its high damage allies provide the necessary fire power. 

I can see the direction this is going and mostly agree... although i think some tweaking will be needed for the upgrades.  The base card should not shoot out only one rocket. You are forgetting about the new players who dont have tons of gold and i bet they will use this tower once and never use it again because 1 rocket is so pitiful. I recommend something like 2/3/3/4 or even 2/3/4/4 for the upgrades and give it slightly more health in one of the upgrades. 

This is in my opinion currently the worst tower in the game already though.

How does changing the orb requirement and reducing number of rockets

fix the rockets behaving poorly or just missing and taking forever to hit etc?

Its only use currently is knocking back archer blobs or troll knocking enemy melee

already attacking buildings.

15 hours ago, poisonapple95 said:

I can see the direction this is going and mostly agree... although i think some tweaking will be needed for the upgrades.  The base card should not shoot out only one rocket. You are forgetting about the new players who dont have tons of gold and i bet they will use this tower once and never use it again because 1 rocket is so pitiful. I recommend something like 2/3/3/4 or even 2/3/4/4 for the upgrades and give it slightly more health in one of the upgrades. 

Hey poisonapple, I agree this is an important point and not one we immediately noticed. Generally speaking, we try to reuse existing upgrades even when we perform balance changes but in this case that would likely have a strongly negative impact on new player experience, so we will move towards developing new upgrades. 

7 hours ago, chickennoodler said:

fix the rockets behaving poorly or just missing and taking forever to hit etc?

(d) Bugfix: Fix target homing to prevent rocket from missing

hopefully this should fix it, also the attack speed increase should help with cc uptime though i wish it was 3 sec instead of 4 but we shall see what impact the fix for homing has on the overall efficacy. also model size collision and power cost will also help to hopefully increase density which tends to help cc towers as well. so in this case even though it only shoot 4 rockets it is now actually hitting the targets, shooting them more often, and hopefully you can now place a couple rocket towers where only one fit before.