Changes for Tortugun

Reckoning

As many of you know, Tortugun at it's current is a terrible card. You can make it work but with the uprising of the new Bandit Cards I'd love to see a change for both Tortuguns.

Suggestion A : Let it loose Hp at a constant rate when not being fed, because of 'starvation' instead of being uncontrollable.

Suggestion B: Let it stay uncontrollable in its Frenzy State but devour ANY Unit in range including enemies(maybe exclude teammates)

As it stands now Tortugun is just a frustrating card to play with and doesnt provide enough power to justify that huge deficit of being uncontrollable and killing your own T4 units.

I'd be happy to hear any other suggestions if u can think of a better fix. Personally I prefer the first Suggestion but any change will do to be honest. Better than letting it stay a meme card.

There are still some changes planned for Tortugun to give it a buff after consuming a unit. And both getting long range. But the hunger mechanic won't be going anywhere, it seems.
And it doesn't have to. Even now Tortugun offers a very unique and involved playstyle.

Unbenannt.png.08504ea0347f5fc4154c46668c1ea227.png

The approach of this rPvE deck is basically just cycling through Tortuguns non-stop. Either by making one near-frenzy Tortugun eating another one. Or Offering/Motivating it to get it out of the way before it frenzies. The reward for such heavy micro isn't quite there yet but it's a playstyle you don't get otherwise. It's fine if it stays niche. Bandits will get reinforcement by Wasteland Terror in any case.

However, after the upcoming buffs, actually feeding them consistently might be very worthwhile.

• 1 month later...

Isn't Tortugun really good, though?

If you have the micro to spare, you get a 50m range canon L Counter with 8400 attack, that you can safely buff using unholy hero, and simply sacrifice using Motivate, Blood Healing, or Offering, or by eating it with another Tortugun.

I built my rPvE Deck around it, and me as well as others have used it to good success there and in campaign.

But hey, I wont complain about making it even stronger. One of my favourite bandit cards.

Dutchy likes this

2 hours ago, ManGa said:

Isn't Tortugun really good, though?

Not really, it has its pros and its cons, you can work with it. But "really good" - not to me. I would rather call it "ok'ish"

And it is sad to me, that the hunger bar still brings people to the mentioned playstyle of "sacrifice using Motivate, Blood Healing, or Offering, or by eating it with another Tortugun" cause that is clearly not what is the intended playstyle of the unit (though you are of course right that this is still the superior way of playing it).

And though it makes a nice fun deck I think it would be cool if Tortugun would be a little more, as 4 Orb restricted UR card with a super unique mechanic. As shadow cards have mutltiple options of making small temporarily units (crawlers through Infect and Cultist Masters, Grim Bahir and Undead Army for example) I would still love to see one day, that these would be viable to feed the big Turtle.

Metagross31 likes this

If anything, I'd change it to have a full hunger bar once it's spawned (maybe only near base)

By the time you reach the enemy, it's already running low as it is now. If we made it spawn with full bar even when dazed, that would make it pretty strong, especially in deck using Offering (sorry Volin)

I personally think making it way stronger would lead it to become a steamroll unit. Again, the red Tortugun already feels powerful, albeit clunky In rPvE it synergizes well with the Sacrifice Deck and Amok. 

I'll try both a Tortugon-focused Deck and a Bloodhorn Deck and see how they compare at least in rPvE (where Tortugon really shines imo)

With a full hunger bar when spawned, it would both feel less clunky to play and also be a bit more efficient.

Edited by ManGa

4 hours ago, ManGa said:

By the time you reach the enemy, it's already running low as it is now. If we made it spawn with full bar even when dazed, that would make it pretty strong, especially in deck using Offering (sorry Volin)

Nah all good, I get your point, but I think you understood what mine is 😄 It is not that easy in this case - else the team would have done it already.

But I hope you understand why I am still a bit disappointed. Sacrificing it is clearly a good way to play it - but this circumvents the hunger bar, what is clearly not the intended mechanic of this card.

4 hours ago, ManGa said:

I'll try both a Tortugon-focused Deck and a Bloodhorn Deck and see how they compare at least in rPvE

BH is in both decks (with Nature splash) or in Bandit colors one of the best decks around, here is the Tortugun clear inferior.

Just to emphazise it: Tortugun is not bad. I chose every word carefully there. It is really ok'ish - but I don't see it is "really good". But it must been said that I see this from upper end of decks and here are really a lot decks that can shine far more. In a classical Tier List I would rate Tortugun from my gut in B-Tier. So clearly not a bad deck.

Edited by Volin

Last patch we made the following changes to Tortugun:

Iteration 1
1. Devour Changes
   A. Devour animation:  Tortugun has 2 eating animations. One from the ability and a second when she is in the Amok state. Change the *Devour* animation to be the same sped up animation when Tortugun is in the Amok state.
   B. Devour cooldown: 5 sec -> 2 sec
   C. Reduce digestion rate: 90 life points every 2 seconds -> 75 life points every 2 seconds
   D. Initial Hunger Bar: 3000 life points -> 2550 life points

Next patch we hope to additionally do the following:
Iteration 2

1. Devour Changes
   A. Temporarily satisfied: Digestion rate becomes 0 life points per second for 5 seconds after eating.
   B. Devour affinity buffs: 50% damage reduction for blue 20 sec after eating; +100% damage for red after eating
2. Make both affinities have 50m range, remove L-knockback from blue

Metagross31 and Volin like this

At least I think this could help to make an intended playstyle more rewarding - I am very excited how this feels finally.

I'm afraid to make me really happy, we'd need another reduction in the cooldown - but I know from talking to Windhunter that it's not that easy.

But my happiness should also truly not be a measure 😄