Patch #400031 - 18 December 2021

Majora

Greetings Skyfolk!

This update contains our fourth balance patch for the game, brand new cards, and many other changes, enjoy!

Check out our recent community update for more information.

Feedback to these changes can be given on the balancing discord. When you give feedback make sure to properly support your reasoning by including replays or video footage.community_splitter.png

Where are balance changes discussed?
For now we have a Discord server dedicated for this. An invite link to the server: https://discord.gg/NvSUwpf

How can I join the test server?
To join the test server you simply need to launch LauncherTest.exe located in your BattleForge installation folder. It is important you run the updater first, so you download the latest test server files. In the future we plan to make it easier to join the test server.

community_splitter.png

Changes
A detailed list of all changes can be found on the wiki. However, since the patch notes are quite long, we prepared a summary document for you! You can find it attached to this post. 

Patch_400031_-_December_18_2021.pdf

Dutchy, Metagross31, Kzuu and 3 others like this

Hello everyone, I have a quick announcement about Reforging.

We have been monitoring Reforging and its effects on the economy very closely since release and while we are in general happy with how it has performed we have determined that the system needs to be toned down. As such we have made it more difficult to roll Rare and Ultra-Rare cards. We have also increased the cost of the Mini-booster from 50 to 75 Forge Shards while increasing the general value of rerolling Ultra-Rare cards. Overall it will now be more worthwhile to reroll multiple Ultra-Rare cards.

If you are one of the people negatively affected by the increase in the cost of mini-boosters due to having banked in excess of 33 Forge Shards before the change we will be reaching out to compensate you.

This change has already gone live.

Kzuu and Demiron like this

Hello everyone, we received a lot of bug reports and suggestions from you in regards to this patch. We were hard at work and are shipping a hotfix patch today! Below you can find the changelist.

General changes
- Added a gold penalty for completing advanced and expert campaign maps faster than 10 minutes.
  This affects disenchants and the base reward of 12 player maps, but not treasure chests.
  Maps completed faster than 5 minutes will only yield 25% of the previously earned gold.
  Maps completed between 5 and 10 minutes use a penalty term of (X - 300) / (300) * 0.75 + 0.25,
  where X is the amount of seconds spent in-game. A full gold rework is currently being worked on, so this is intended as a short-term fix.
- Changed the auction market filter to not display any results if there are no matches to a given filter.
- Changed the inventory filter to show neutral cards, even if all 4 colors are deselected.

General fixes
- Fixed contacts button not aligned properly during in-game matches and replays.
- Adjusted text about free pvp to say every day instead of every week.
- Fixed an issue where slow internet connections would cause errors with Reforging.
- Fixed promos not being announced in the chat.
- Fixed mails not being returned properly after 30 days.
- Fixed progression with achievements which require you to play certain factions. They should now work again.
- Fixed the behaviour of the orb color buttons, they should not include splashes unless specified.
- Fixed the "Rare" filter in the auction market.
- Fixed an issue where some orbs and gold chests on Bad Harvest and Gun of Lyr were not working properly.

Card fixes
Amii Paladins:
    - Adjusted upgrade formatting to be consistent with other squads.
    - Added hyphen in German cardname.

Banzai Lord (Both affinities):
    - Added correct spacing in upgrades.

Banzai Lord (Nature affinity):
    - Removed obsolete sentence from description.

Battleship:
    - Added correct value for splash range on cannons in the description (5m => 10m).

Brannoc (player card):
    - Added flame effect for his sword.

Brannoc (rpve fire boss):
    - Added extra-large-flame effect for his sword.

Coat of Protection (both affinities):
    - Added new effect.
    - Removed "Activate, to" phrasing in description.
    - Renamed German version to "Mandel des Schutzes", to avoid linebreaks on the card.
    - Fixed english cardname on non-english versions of the game.
    - Added translations for untranslated upgrade descriptions.

Coat of Protection (Shadow affinity):
    - Fixed wrong affinity color in description.
    - Fixed wrong spell effect name.

Ice Age (both affinities):
    - Corrected upgrade translations to match the English version.

Aspect of Summer (fire rPvE):
    - Added missing russian class name.

Temple of Fire (fire rPvE):
    - Renamed from "Temple Of Fire" to fix capitalization in name.

That's it for now! We hope you have been enjoying the new content thus far and we are looking forward to your continued bug reports and feedback!

Best regards
Zyna

Majora, Dutchy, Xanatoss and 2 others like this

Thanks for sending all your reports over the Christmas holidays. We were hard at work and are proud to present you another hotfix patch!

General changes
- Replaced inappropriate Twilight Hag ability icon with a disco ball.
- Added the word "Small" to all small crystals in the map Dwarven Riddle.

General fixes
- Fixed Void Maw description on Dwarven Riddle.
- Fixed some typos in French quest names and descriptions.
- Fixed some typos in French achievement names.
- Improved French descriptions in the Free PvP decks selection window.
- Fixed typo in Empire outcry.
- Changed unique upgrade cards amount in story book to the correct number.

Card changes
- Sandstorm (Shadow): The description now mentions that the storm only deals half of its damage against structures and knocks back small and medium units.
- Sandstorm (Frost): The description now mentions that the storm only deals half of its damage against structures.
- Deepgorge (both affinities): Added missing translations for upgrade descriptions in French.
- Corsair (both affinities): The status bar tooltip of units affected by Inspirational Call now displays the correct value on upgrade 0.
- Coat of Protection (both affinities): The respective affinity naming is now properly displayed in the status bar tooltip of affected units.
- Bandit Sniper: Corrected small typo in French ability description.
- Bandit Sniper: Added missing translations for status bar descriptions in French and Russian.

Xamos, LEBOVIN and Kapo like this

Today we are proud to present you some more small additions, which we had to delay for a bit!

General changes
- Added voice lines for Amii Paladins.
- Added voice lines for Banzai Lord.
- Allow players to play lower upgrade levels of cards from the card upgrade window.

Xamos likes this

24 minutes ago, Zyna said:

Today we are proud to present you some more small additions, which we had to delay for a bit!

General changes
- Added voice lines for Amii Paladins.
- Added voice lines for Banzai Lord.
- Allow players to play lower upgrade levels of cards from the card upgrade window.

Nice but we still dont know why Twilight Hags icon was changed. 😠

Hey guys,

We hoped the reason for the change would be obvious and not require an explanation.

Short explanation: There is no reason for a stripper pole to be included in a game like this.

Longer explanation: BattleForge already isn't very female friendly. The RTS genre is less popular among females in general but this game also uses the ''females armor has to be hot, not practical'' trope heavily. Quotes like ''my face is up here'' and ''I can feel you looking'' from Amazon also shows the old devs were aware and lean into this ''boys-club-vibe''. Cards like Twilight Hag and Girl Power are not helping in the image that the game is inclusive for all genders. Why is Twilight Hag on a stripper pole?.. She is a witch, she could easily have had a general description that she bewitches her enemies.

The cards in question feel like mockery towards females, which is a clunky joke at best, and just rude at worst. BattleForge is an old game, and these cards would definitely not see the light of day in 2022, but even in its time frame it was already questionable. Over time, we have also received multiple comments about Twilight Hag and Girl Power, through for example our survey last summer. We feel those comments and complaints are legit, and want to take them seriously.

So does this mean we are suddenly going to remove all references and things that might be considered offending? Of course not. But we do feel removing the worst offenders is worth it. Changing Girl Power is a lot trickier, but we plan to tackle it at some time in the future, for the reasons mentioned above.

We figured changing the icon from Twilight Hag was an easy change that should not ran into any issues or discussions. 

Volin, Morman, Mandavar and 5 others like this

Sorry but what kind of woke and radical feminist bullshit is this ???

I would even consider Battleforge to be a pretty progressive game considering it has many strong female characters.

Battleforge is also full of half naked men like Dreadnought, Giant Slayer, Shaman, Executor and MANY others.

Sure a stripper pole is not the best icon for her abillity but its definitly more appropriate than just a disco ball considering she creates the illusion that she is the most beautiful creature in the world and makes all male units stare at her.

Today the whole entertainment industry is completely obsessed with virtue signaling and promoting cultural wokeness and identity politics. Everything is offensive and people getting cancelled for the most stupid reasons. This is the reason many people dont play modern games and watch modern movies anymore.

Personally i have always been a pretty progressive person but cultural wokeness doesnt make anything better it just makes people completely oversensitive and hate eachother it is the absolutely opposite of progression.

I am absolutely sure that the vast majority of Battleforge players just want to have a good time and do not want you to virtue signal and fight for feminism and social justice.

I have been a huge fan of you people since almost day 1 but if you keep this up you will lose me as a fan and probably even as a player and im sure many others too.

Fundus likes this

49 minutes ago, Cocofang said:

Stanning for a stripper pole.

Wrong. I already said that a stripper pole is not the best icon its just better than the curent one but changing it just for the sake of social justice is just wrong in my opinion.

Lets discuss this in another thread. https://forum.skylords.eu/index.php?/topic/8700-social-justice-in-bf/&tab=comments#comment-97139

Edited by Fimion

On 1/8/2022 at 7:45 AM, Majora said:

Hey guys,

We hoped the reason for the change would be obvious and not require an explanation.

Short explanation: There is no reason for a stripper pole to be included in a game like this.

Longer explanation: BattleForge already isn't very female friendly. The RTS genre is less popular among females in general but this game also uses the ''females armor has to be hot, not practical'' trope heavily. Quotes like ''my face is up here'' and ''I can feel you looking'' from Amazon also shows the old devs were aware and lean into this ''boys-club-vibe''. Cards like Twilight Hag and Girl Power are not helping in the image that the game is inclusive for all genders. Why is Twilight Hag on a stripper pole?.. She is a witch, she could easily have had a general description that she bewitches her enemies.

The cards in question feel like mockery towards females, which is a clunky joke at best, and just rude at worst. BattleForge is an old game, and these cards would definitely not see the light of day in 2022, but even in its time frame it was already questionable. Over time, we have also received multiple comments about Twilight Hag and Girl Power, through for example our survey last summer. We feel those comments and complaints are legit, and want to take them seriously.

So does this mean we are suddenly going to remove all references and things that might be considered offending? Of course not. But we do feel removing the worst offenders is worth it. Changing Girl Power is a lot trickier, but we plan to tackle it at some time in the future, for the reasons mentioned above.

We figured changing the icon from Twilight Hag was an easy change that should not ran into any issues or discussions. 

On the note of Girl Power....For the love of all that is holy, could we please get the wiki updated with card genders cause that was a pain to have to go through and manually test alot of cards after I learned it works on the Bloodhorn. Also I'm down with this, can we make one of the first steps giving some of the Skyelves a bodysuit or cloth texture under their armors so they look more...practical.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:47 AM, LEBOVIN said:

So u now have a list, ready to put onto the wiki? 

Of female characters in the game you mean? I just found out that Maze managed to filter by gender on his new https://smj.cards/

First off - THANK YOU GUYS amazing Skylords Rebord Staff ❤️

It is soo cool to finally see and play with new cards after all this time.

The new sounds are stunning, couldn´t have done it better ;D Gotta say I´m impressed!

And the card Arts are just awesome too, shoutout to Tweeto on that regard!

And just my little opinion on the Girl-Power/Twilight Hag topic - for me it´s fine that you changed the icon, and are planning to change the girl-power too, tho I don´t think it´s necessary. It sure is nice that you care about the community, and if someone is bothered by that and asked you kindly to change it that's reasonable. 

I thought the image of the hag´s ability is how all the males around (that got bewitched) see/perceive her - and thus are stunned, but ok. And while there are girls not wearing much in this game - there are more males not wearing much either xD

I just hope that the mechanic to use one specific card (buff) on a specific unit type (females) gets not lost then. I love to use niche tactics - for example to play around with the Crystals and only put units with a certain affinity in my deck - or to almost only use female-characters in my deck to make perfect use of girl power. If you have to change it (or want to because someone asked for a change which is fine by me), it would be cool if that mechanic could stay however. Maybe change the card to something like "Pecular enhancement" - where one affinity (preferably the current blue one) can be used on female characters and the other one on males!

Edited by Xamos