Community update #16 - December 18th

Majora

Greetings Skylords!

Happy Anniversary! Today marks the 1-year anniversary of the Skylords Reborn project. We hope you had a lot of fun reliving your BattleForge memories and are excited to give you a look into the future. 

1378236913_CommunityUpdateHeader.png

Anniversary Streamcommunity_splitter.png

In case you missed it, we hosted a special anniversary stream yesterday. We celebrated the past, present en future of Skylords Reborn, with news, card reveals, give-aways and more! 

Sadly, something went wrong with the playback of yesterdays stream that we are not sure we can fix. Since we recorded it live with the 3 of us, and 2 audio tracks are broken, it does not make much sense for the viewer anymore. We are sorry for those who missed the stream and now can't watch it.

If we cannot fix the video, we plan to do a retake for youtube, adjusting it to be some kind of looking back at 2021, that people can watch to see everything that has been added to Skylords Reborn since release. 

Patch Reveal + Toggy Streamcommunity_splitter.png

Our biggest surprise from the Anniversary Stream: our Anniversary Patch releases today!
See the brand new cards and features in action during a special celebration stream hosted by Toggy tonight!

There will also be a quiz where you can win the new cards, so be sure to check it out!

The Stream is happening at twitch.tv/dastoggy 

We are very grateful for Toggy's support over the years and have officially rewarded him with Skylords of Honor today. Well deserved, and to many more years!

New Cardscommunity_splitter.png

This patch will release five brand new cards into the game! We are excited that you will finally get your hands on the cards we have been working on for the past months. The following cards will be added to the game:

Coat of Protection
Coat of Protection is a new incentive to play Pure Frost. This tier 4 spell can be seen as the frost equivalent of Regrowth, helping the faction with some lategame support. Check out the full card-reveal here.

cards_0005_CCb.png

Bandit Minefield
Bandit Minefield is a new tier 2 Spell for Fire/Shadow that should greatly help the faction in PvP. It is a rare and does not have an affinity. Check out the full card-reveal, including the design process, here.

cards_0004_BM.png

Banzai Lord
Banzai Lord is a powerful new tier 4 unit that can be splashed into, requiring only one shadow and one fire orb. He collects the corpses of fallen foes and allies to summon his darling birds. The card appears in two affinities, one with destructive birds, one with healing birds. You can find more information in the Bandit Deep Dive. 

cards_0001_BLg.png

Bandit Sniper
Bandit Sniper is a new, ranged M counter for the Bandits-faction. It is an uncommon that does not have an affinity. It's ability Focus Shot allows the Bandit Sniper to live up to its name, dealing devastating damage to enemies at long range. 

cards_0003_BS.png

Amii Paladin
The shroud surrounding the Amii-faction is slowly lifted. Amii Paladins is our first look at the Amii-faction, after the never followed on tease from Amii Phantom back in the day. It's special ability ''Reflective Armor'' allows the unit to reflect 100% of incoming damage back into enemies, making them a challenging foe to fight. 

Amii Paladins has the new Amii Passive Ability "Elusive". Units with Elusive have the duration of the immobilizing effects of Freeze and Paralyze reduced by 10%. This ability will be added to all current and future Amii units. 

cards_0007_AP.png

Amii Phantom
While not a new card, Amii Phantom has received a brand new look! Both her artwork and ingame look have been adjusted to fit with the vision of the Amii-Faction. Elusive has also been added, and we plan to change her voicelines (she currently has those from Nightguard) to complete her makeover. 

cards_0008_AM.png

A word on Wasteland Terror
Some of you might be wondering why Wasteland Terror (previously Wasteland Wing) is not included in this patch, even though he was revealed in an earlier communtiy update. Sadly, we were not able to make the anniversary deadline and could not include him in this patch. Rest assured that he we will be implemented in a future patch, though we are not able to tell when just yet. Until then, may you enjoy the clear blue skies while you still can..

Voice Actors Updatecommunity_splitter.png

Now for some disappointing news. With the help of some talented voice actors, we have created some great voicelines to go along with our new (and some old) cards. Sadly, we ran into technical issues. For some reason, the game keeps crashing inconsistently while playing the new voicelines.  Because this did not happen during our initial testing, we could not pinpoint the issue on time to solve it for this patch. Sadly we have to ship the new cards without their matching voicelines. We are really disappointed about this, and we hope to be able to find the solution soon and patch in the new voicelines in all their glory. For this we would love to get your help

Beside the new cards, we will also be adding voicelines for Dryad, Mountain Rowdy and Amii Phantom in the future. There are also already plans for other cards that are currently without voicelines, like Bandit Lancer or Warlock. 

We would like to give you a sneak peak of what we have been working on and give you a proper first impression of two new cards.

Here is what you can expect from the sinister Banzai Lord:

And here is what you will hear leading the Amii Paladins into battle:

We would love to have the help of the community fixing the issues we ran into implementing these voicelines. If you have any understanding of coding and/or sound, please head over here and join us in solving this issue. 

amii_paladin_small.png

Balance Changescommunity_splitter.png

Alongside new cards and features, we will also release some balance changes this patch. 

Following the Bandits Deep Dive, there are a couple of changes in this patch, including Amok, Commando's, Windhunter, Sandstorm and Corsair. Further PvE-focussed balance changes will be implemented for Frost, with adjustments to Ice Age, Battleship, Maelstrom, Northern Keep, Retreating Circle and fan-favorite
: Juice Tank. 

There are also some changes to popular cards like Sunderer, Dryad, Master Archers and Stormsinger, in combination with the new cards you can expect a fresh meta for PvP as well. 

You can check out all the details and explanations for the changes in the patch notes. 

Patch_400031_-_December_18_2021.pdf

Free PvP Decks Updatedcommunity_splitter.png

We expect new cards like Bandit Minefield to shake up the PvP scene and find it important that everyone who wants to play PvP can do so without grinding for cards or upgrades first. We have upgraded our free PvP decks to include the new cards, alongside adjustments to most decks to adapt to the meta changes that have happened since the introduction of the free PvP decks. Please note: to update the decks, we had to reset all the current decks. Sorry about the inconvenience. 

Here is a quick recap on where you can find the PvP decks: 

image.png

- Select the sword on the top right of the menu to select your 2 free PvP decks.
- Free PvP decks are fully upgraded decks, that can only be used in PvP. 

- You can select two new decks every day*, if you want to switch things up.
- You can freely swap around cards in those decks with cards in your collection to customize the decks to your liking. You can do this by clicking the tab in your inventory on the top left and changing General to Free PvP and vice-versa.

*We have reduced the timer to change your two Free PvP decks from 7 days to 24 hours.

Updated PvP Starter Guidescommunity_splitter.png

On top of changes to the standard free PvP decks, RadicalX and Hirooo got together to update their starter guide for PvP. Want to get into PvP but not sure where to start? In this guide you will find everything you need: deck descriptions, tips and tricks for every match-up, an overview of the pro's and con's of your deck and how beginner friendly the deck is to play!

The guide ended up being longer than your average thesis, but we made sure to provide it with a clear layout so you can easily find your favorite deck and browse through the information you need. 

You can find the updated starter guide here, and be sure to join the Tutor and Apprentice discord that is specifically designed to help new players get started. Feel free to ask all your questions there. 

New Fire rPvE Presetcommunity_splitter.png

It is now possible to face the Fire faction in all its blazing glory in rPvE! You can expect a fresh new challenge for rPvE, including new bosses to fight against. While we did a lot of testing, we would love to hear your feedback on the balance of this new enemy.

Please let us know your feedback on the forum or discord!

image.png

Reforgingcommunity_splitter.png

One of our biggest and most requested new features this patch is Reforging. The idea behind this new system is to give players a use for their spare cards without listing them on the Auction House. Players have no use for 40+ copies of the same common, and listing them for 3BFP on the AH has proven to be quite tedious and often unsuccessful. Additionally, the rise of expensive ultra rare cards is becoming a problem. We hope to tackle these issues with this new feature.

Here is how it works; players can reforge four cards from their collection to create one brand new card, destroying the four cards in the process. The card that is created will depend on different factors such as the rarity and color of the input cards. Players can also increase their odds by selecting cards that have something in common, for example four buildings. Using higher rarity cards will also increase the odds of an ultra rare dropping. Should the odds of reforging into an ultra rare card ever exceed 100%, players will get some spare Forge Shards. These Shards can then be used to get a mini-booster. It is not possible to use or get a promo card when reforging.

image.png

We expect this feature to have a large impact on the economy as a whole. Being able to exchange rares and cheap ultra rares for the chance of getting one of the more expensive ultra rares should bring their prices down. At the same time, this feature should increase the price of cheap ultra rares, since they are now valuable resources for reforging. While some of you might be worried that destroying four ultra rare cards to create one random one will further decrease the supply; please note that reforging multiple ultra rares is designed to be inefficient, thus discouraging the use of more than one ultra rare at a time, since the odds of getting an ultra rare does not improve over using a combination of rares and ultra rares. After the dust has settled, we expect this will bring a better balance to prices within a rarity. Because of the big shake-up this will have on the economy, we have closed the Auction House between the announcement of this system and the release of it.

image.png

Legacy Avatarscommunity_splitter.png

We have added additional features regarding the player avatar you can select. It is now possible to buy the avatar that was previously only selectable with the creation of a new account for 15.000 gold. Additionally, once you have bought one of those avatars, they will be added to your collection, allowing you to swap freely!

In the future we are also planning to add additional avatars that can be collected through special events or achievements. 

image.png

Advanced Filteringcommunity_splitter.png

Our developer Kubik has been working on improving the filtering of search results, both for the inventory and the auction house. Some of you showed interest in this progress, so we put together a document explaining how the current filtering works, why it's far from perfect, and how it will be changed. It's a bit more technical than the other documents we have shared with the community so far, but we hope you will enjoy this look behind the scenes! 

Advanced filtering.pdf

image.png

Booster Discounts + Santa community_splitter.png

As a special treat for our one year anniversary, all boosters in the game will be 100BFP cheaper between 18-12-2021 and 18-01-2022. 

Additionally, every player will receive the Santa Claus card after playing a game. Happy Holidays Skylords!

frostmage_smallest.jpg

Team Changes / Open Positionscommunity_splitter.png

It has been a wild ride getting Skylords Reborn to the state it is now. We still have more new cards and exciting game modes in development, but need help getting them to you sooner. If you love the project, please consider helping us out, we would love to have you on our team. 

Below are three roles highlighted, but you can find more information, desired traits and all our open positions here. If you are unsure if you qualify, please reach out and have a talk! At the same time, we are sad to announce Carofex has left the team as a balance developer. We want to thank him for his contributions and wish him well! 

Open Position - Map Tester
As a map tester you get early access to new maps and gamemodes and are responsible to playtest them and provide feedback to the other map developers about possible issues or improvements. This includes check how balanced the map is, how fun it is to play, if there are any exploits, if areas on the map need to be prettified etc. Map developers/designers/artists should be able to rely on you to make sure maps that are released or changed are done so properly. More information.

Open Position - Client Developer
As a game client developer you are responsible to maintain and develop the game client. This mostly includes add new pre-game features (content outside of matches, so no game mechanics) through .pak files used by the game. You will be responsible to create and design in-game interfaces for new features, add networking support for new features that require it, solve bugs etc. using LUA, XML and little bit of Rust. BattleForge uses LUA and XML in their .pak files which are loaded by the client. Communication with the server happens through a proxy written in Rust. More information.

Open Position - Game Server Developer
As a game server developer you are responsible to maintain and develop the game servers. This includes add new features, track and fix bugs, optimize code, roll out new server updates, improve server monitoring etc. The servers are written in C++17, use boost asio for networking, MySQL as database, Prometheus and Grafana for monitoring etc. More information.

amiiphantom_smaller.png

In Conclusioncommunity_splitter.png

And that's it for this Community Update, thanks for reading! 

Remember; as a special treat for our one year anniversary, all boosters in the game will be 100BFP cheaper between 18-12-2021 and 18-01-2022. 
We also have a scratch code for you, which will reward you with a general booster: SKYL-ORDS-REBO-RN1Y

The code is valid until January 8th 2022, which is when our next community update will release.

We hope you will join us in the celebrations playing this new patch, and we would love to hear your feedback on how you experienced the past year of Skylords Reborn! Please let us know below.  

Happy holidays!

Community Update footer.png

Archive
Community Update #13
Community Update #14
Community Update #15

Very exciting. I am looking forward to how Card Reforging will affect the economy. It's an interesting element to add to the equation. Hopefully it will make all cards more exciting and the top tiers more accessible.

Maybe I can pull all the new cards right away and give them a try. Looking forward to them.

WatcherOfSky likes this

As a returning player here's what I think about the latest update:

What I like:

- new cards - the art on them, their models and the voice samples I've heard are all very high quality

- balancing - I went through the patch notes and most of these changes make sense, spot on

- new rpve faction - I welcome every change as it's my most played mode by a large margin and the tower defense mode is by far the most interesting idea that'll happen eventually I guess

- avatar system - it's cool that you can collect these avatars under a new tab, again, quality work

What I don't like:

- reforge system - I like the collecting aspect in card games, having to either pay, trade or grind my way to a specific card I've wanted for a long time, and while Battleforge is not your classic tcg in that sense, this aspect was completely nullified with this system. It makes me want to play less, not more

- no way to trade for gold - with this update, gold as a currency is much more valuable than ever before and it seems like an oversight that there is no way to trade for it

Overall, the changes are great as far as gameplay and quality of life improvements go, but I do not like the major overhaul of the economy.

Schantor likes this

6 minutes ago, Demiron said:

What I don't like:

- reforge system - I like the collecting aspect in card games, having to either pay, trade or grind my way to a specific card I've wanted for a long time, and while Battleforge is not your classic tcg in that sense, this aspect was completely nullified with this system. It makes me want to play less, not more

Why does it nullify the system?

I for one really enjoy the aspect of being able to get rid of all my extra commons laying about catching dust. Idk if you thought you get to CHOOSE what you want, but it's a tiny random lottery that seems very fair so far with my testing.

26 minutes ago, WatcherOfSky said:

Why does it nullify the system?

I for one really enjoy the aspect of being able to get rid of all my extra commons laying about catching dust. Idk if you thought you get to CHOOSE what you want, but it's a tiny random lottery that seems very fair so far with my testing.

The system was already generous as far as bfp gain and card acquisition goes (daily quests, achivements), FAR more than the original design, it did not need a new way to crush higher end / rare card prices imo.

Because of how reforging works, card prices are now tied to rarities rather than their usefulness or the value they provide in games. Bad rares and ultra rares will become valuable craft materials, despite how little they offer during actual gameplay, which is not ok with me. There are essentially no bad pack openings anymore as you can just sell 4 bad ones and buy something good off the auction house or if you're the gambler type you'll roll into something good eventually.

I personally like the feeling of my hard work paying off and getting something rare and valuable at the end of my days/weeks/months long grinding session. Unless we're talking about promos, it's not there anymore. Everything's within reach now. Maybe it's just a me problem, but maybe there are others out there, missing this feeling. I'm happy for everyone enjoying the system though and hats off to the very dedicated dev team.

9 minutes ago, Bkingn said:

Ppl who dont like reforge i tell you that now its finally rarity based prices on the ah you either buy the expensive card or buy some boosters its sooo goood. I love the reforge system and i love the tears of the crying ah sweaty ppl

Sweaty? My post provides actual feedback to the game we both love and care for. Your post is just straight out rude and offensive.

Schantor likes this

7 minutes ago, Demiron said:

The system was already generous as far as bfp gain and card acquisition goes (daily quests, achivements), FAR more than the original design, it did not need a new way to crush higher end / rare card prices imo.

Because of how reforging works, card prices are now tied to rarities rather than their usefulness or the value they provide in games. Bad rares and ultra rares will become valuable craft materials, despite how little they offer during actual gameplay, which is not ok with me. There are essentially no bad pack openings anymore as you can just sell 4 bad ones and buy something good off the auction house or if you're the gambler type you'll roll into something good eventually.

I personally like the feeling of my hard work paying off and getting something rare and valuable at the end of my days/weeks/months long grinding session. Unless we're talking about promos, it's not there anymore. Everything's within reach now. Maybe it's just a me problem, but maybe there are others out there, missing this feeling. I'm happy for everyone enjoying the system though and hats off to the very dedicated dev team.

So you're saying you liked shamans going for 800+ bfp?

I'm being a little shit for that statement haha, but I just like how this let's people gather more of a collection potentially faster while letting people with much fuller collections have something to do. Also, there are still pretty large gaps between useful cards and not useful card, but I'm sure it can be tweeked a little bit to have rares and mythics still be a bit... rarer? As is, I love the mechanic, plus I love more lottery-esque stuff that really gives me that rush of adrenaline. 😄

Edited by WatcherOfSky

23 minutes ago, WatcherOfSky said:

So you're saying you liked shamans going for 800+ bfp?

I'm being a little shit for that statement haha, but I just like how this let's people gather more of a collection potentially faster while letting people with much fuller collections have something to do. Also, there are still pretty large gaps between useful cards and not useful card, but I'm sure it can be tweeked a little bit to have rares and mythics still be a bit... rarer? As is, I love the mechanic, plus I love more lottery-esque stuff that really gives me that rush of adrenaline. 😄

There could and should have been limitations to the system. Outside of PVP (the mode that already offers basically all the cards, free of charge), the game can be easily completed with a limited collection. A limited collection means goals (expensive cards) to look forward to. At least to me. The game can be completed without needing any of the ultra rare and most rare cards. I agree that Shaman is a card that is essential in most nature pve setups and as such, should be included in the reforge system. Ultra rare and rare cards, however should remain ultra rare and rare, respectively. And not just in name. As it stands now, nothing is 'ultra rare' or 'rare' anymore.

Edited by Demiron

3 hours ago, Demiron said:

As a returning player here's what I think about the latest update:

What I like:

- new cards - the art on them, their models and the voice samples I've heard are all very high quality

- balancing - I went through the patch notes and most of these changes make sense, spot on

- new rpve faction - I welcome every change as it's my most played mode by a large margin and the tower defense mode is by far the most interesting idea that'll happen eventually I guess

- avatar system - it's cool that you can collect these avatars under a new tab, again, quality work

What I don't like:

- no way to trade for gold - with this update, gold as a currency is much more valuable than ever before and it seems like an oversight that there is no way to trade for it

Overall, the changes are great as far as gameplay and quality of life improvements go, but I do not like the major overhaul of the economy.

Welcome back! Glad to hear you are liking most of the changes we made. 

As for the things you don't like:

• Reforge system: as a TCG player, I get where you are coming from. However, we found a lot of new players struggling to get the cards they needed. Because the game has no BFP sink, players who were with us from the beginning and kept playing, got more and more BFP. Which resulted in ultra rare cards raising in price, with no end in sight. In the EA days, this system was kept in check because the rate at which you would get BFP daily was so low, that the only real way to boost up your economy was investing money (or trading smart). While our new system worked really well in the beginning, the paywall if you start playing now is much higher then one year ago. For example, below you can see the price chart for Infect. It started out around 1100 and has steadily risen to 4850. 

image.png

Ultra rare drop rates are already quite low, but in practice it was even lower because bad ultra rares were taking up the drop rates of the ones people actually wanted. This resulted in cards like Infect being extremely expensive, with other ultra rare cards being as low as 40 BFP, sometimes even lower. Reforging hopes to solve this, by boosting up the bad ultra rare cards a bit (like you said, they are now valuable resources) and bringing down the most expensive ones. In practice, this will not result in Forest's Vim being the same price as Infect; use will still be the biggest factor effecting the price. But it should help making the expensive ultra rare cards easier to obtain, and fix the feel bad of unplayable cards. Though please note that our balance team intends to make all cards at least have some niche in the future. 

• No way to trade for gold: this is not an oversight but actually intended, I'm sure one of our designers can go a bit more into detail. We actually got a lot of comments that gold was not valueable enough. The Avatar system is meant as a clear gold sink; peope can now spend gold on something once they have upgraded all the cards. The reason Reforging costs gold is actually partly because of the issue you have with reforging; we want to add this feature to the game, but we don't want everyone to have unlimited access to it. We instead want to encourage people to play the game, not just for their daily BFP, but also beyond it for the gold they need for the other features.

We are glad to see most players seem to like the new features, and rest assured we did not implement them lightly or ''just because''. And while you are completely entitled to your opinion, I hope I was able to give you a little bit of insight on the Why. 🙂 We expect the economy to need a little bit more time to settle into the new system, but will ofcourse keep a close eye on it and adjust accordingly. 

Schantor likes this

21 minutes ago, Majora said:

Welcome back! Glad to hear you are liking most of the changes we made. 

As for the things you don't like:

• Reforge system: as a TCG player, I get where you are coming from. However, we found a lot of new players struggling to get the cards they needed. Because the game has no BFP sink, players who were with us from the beginning and kept playing, got more and more BFP. Which resulted in ultra rare cards raising in price, with no end in sight. In the EA days, this system was kept in check because the rate at which you would get BFP daily was so low, that the only real way to boost up your economy was investing money (or trading smart). While our new system worked really well in the beginning, the paywall if you start playing now is much higher then one year ago. For example, below you can see the price chart for Infect. It started out around 1100 and has steadily risen to 4850. 

image.png

Ultra rare drop rates are already quite low, but in practice it was even lower because bad ultra rares were taking up the drop rates of the ones people actually wanted. This resulted in cards like Infect being extremely expensive, with other ultra rare cards being as low as 40 BFP, sometimes even lower. Reforging hopes to solve this, by boosting up the bad ultra rare cards a bit (like you said, they are now valuable resources) and bringing down the most expensive ones. In practice, this will not result in Forest's Vim being the same price as Infect; use will still be the biggest factor effecting the price. But it should help making the expensive ultra rare cards easier to obtain, and fix the feel bad of unplayable cards. Though please note that our balance team intends to make all cards at least have some niche in the future. 

• No way to trade for gold: this is not an oversight but actually intended, I'm sure one of our designers can go a bit more into detail. We actually got a lot of comments that gold was not valueable enough. The Avatar system is meant as a clear gold sink; peope can now spend gold on something once they have upgraded all the cards. The reason Reforging costs gold is actually partly because of the issue you have with reforging; we want to add this feature to the game, but we don't want everyone to have unlimited access to it. We instead want to encourage people to play the game, not just for their daily BFP, but also beyond it for the gold they need for the other features.

We are glad to see most players seem to like the new features, and rest assured we did not implement them lightly or ''just because''. And while you are completely entitled to your opinion, I hope I was able to give you a little bit of insight on the Why. 🙂 We expect the economy to need a little bit more time to settle into the new system, but will ofcourse keep a close eye on it and adjust accordingly. 

Thank you for your thorough answer on this matter.

Some of my questions got answered but I need more clarification.

Since you've brought it up let's stick with your example card, Infect. A highly sought after, ultra rare card that's always been expensive and I guess out of reach for some players, especially newcomers. It definitely shines in the right deck and makes life easier. But is it really a necessity? Not to sound like a broken record but I still believe that no ultra rare card is needed to finish the game (on any difficulty). I view it as some kind of a luxury item. Something to work towards to. High-end ultra rares and especially rares will not fill that role anymore. I understand why you ultimately decided to go with it but I still don't like that you've sacrificed this aspect in return.

I also get that opening bad UR's feel terrible, been there. But cheaper rares and ultra rares could have been made more valuable through balancing and not just by nature, having that UR tag. This way nobody would feel cheated when opening any of these cards but they could still remain expensive, relative to other cards.

But alas, what's done is done and I hope it works out in the end. Keep up the good work lads

Schantor likes this

16 minutes ago, Demiron said:

I also get that opening bad UR's feel terrible, been there. But cheaper rares and ultra rares could have been made more valuable through balancing and not just by nature, having that UR tag. This way nobody would feel cheated when opening any of these cards but they could still remain expensive, relative to other cards.

If you think balancing cards is easier solution, why not apply for "[Open] Balance Developer" position, to try out for yourself?

Damo likes this

• Majora unpinned and unfeatured this topic