Shatter Ice causing game to freeze

Fimion

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

🤔 😞 I checked 6-14 minutes in the third match, and there is nothing that would suggest there could have been lag in seconds, so maybe it was only UI lag 😞 and there is no way for us to do anything with that.

I will play some matches with my frost deck and use Shatter Ice alot as soon as it happens again ill upload the log but since it doesnt always happen it might take a while.

This happens on all of my PCs not just on one, also i asked a friend of mine and she also has that problem.

So is there anything that can be done to resolve this ? i dont think un- and reinstalling the game will help because it happens on all of my 4 PCs.

ill fiddle arround with the graphics settings and if i find out something ill let you know.

if you wanna try graphics settings, try everything to min first, and if that helps, it might be some setting, but not sure if you can find it 😞 because settings in this game are kind of crazy 😞 most settings do not have direct GUI option, but are disabled /enabled based on combinations of other settings 😞

• 4 weeks later...

This Problem is actually pretty common many people have it. I'm not sure if Shatter Ice or just freezing(glyph,coldsnap,maelstrom) causes it. I was just playing with someone who froze alot because he had Shrine of Martyrs and all players in the group had laggin/freezing issues. This is particularly bad on hard maps where you can lose your entire army if you dont constantly pay attention. Changing graphics settings doesnt help. For me this is so bad that i dont really wanna use freezing spells and shatter ice or play with people who do so. I really hope this bug gets solved soon because it can really be game breaking sometimes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have also personally witnessed some freezes when my teammates were playing Frost. Although I have never been able to pinpoint the exact issue to Shatter Ice. How much have you experimented with Frost decks, which do not include Shatter Ice?

I play frost alot and if my memory serves me right i never had  freezes when me or my teammates were just using Coldsnap Maelstrom and Frost Shard.

It seems to happen more frequently when i cast Shatter Ice right after the units get frozen if i wait 1-2 seconds it happens very rarely.

Also i never had a freeze when Shatter Ice didnt kill the frozen units, or if it just killed one unit.

In conclusion: Most freezes seem to be caused  by many freezing and shattering animations happening at the same time.

@Fimion We are not able to find the source of the issue by prematurely concluding what causes it. I am unable to reproduce this issue at all in the forge. Can you check if the lags occur for you there? Also, can you check if you experience this in replays as well? If yes, please post the replay in question here.

I can reproduce this problem aswell - commonly happens when freezing units and instantly casting Shatter Ice. Game freezes/fps drop to 0.x for the whole group for about 15-30sec.

It doesn't happen as often when there is a slight delay between freezing and casting Shatter Ice.

• 1 month later...

NAME: Game freezes after Shatter Ice

DESCRIPTION: If Coldsnap is used after Shatter Ice, on very rare ocassion the game may freeze completely for the player.

REPRODUCIBILITY: In-game < 0.5%. In replay 100% (must restart game between replays).

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNSpYXY2jw

LOG: Attached.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Around 12:40 in most recent game the freeze occurs. The same issue occurs in replay every first time the replay is played. (if I restart replay, problem does not occur, if I reset game, the problem occurs again).

Replay attached.

The freeze lasts approximately 140 seconds, both in-game and in-replay.

This is how PC performance changes after the freeze happens:

When the freeze starts:

234.png.d2056cbb4e3b5e83b36b1d70c6ea1d0b.png

123.png.c0ff3f635fee70de8f5fd20bab7a0e7a.png

When the freeze ends:

345.png.ed0622f2cc6c68ee8c88e91f7b48cdc5.png

456.png.22d0de4d3b990b16b413346fb79c8d32.png

_log_proxy_latest.log 20220208_143650_GeneratedMap.pmv

18 minutes ago, Kubik said:

if you can reproduce it on a replay (which I can not) can you measure CPU, GPU, and memory used by game with https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer it have more details than the standard task manager.

(By the way which of the two task manager pictures is supposed to be the higher usage?)

Please refresh the page to see all the edits.

• 4 weeks later...

9:30 Short lag, Shatter Ice on coldsnaped Spitfire; Shrine of Martyrs, Insidious Mo active

Second lag a bit later in the same camp but dont remember exact trigger; should be Shard+Shatter on Spawner + nearby units

~11:17 Lag the moment Frost Shard is played

Frost Shard hits: 2 Spitfires + 3 hp sunstrider half squad+Juggernaut; Jugger and frozen Spitfire die, one Spitfire gets frozen Ice Age played a bit earlier;
Wheels, Insidious Mo, Shrine of Martyrs, SoW, Dread active

Does not lag in replay for me.

20220304_203556_GeneratedMap.pmv

Edited by Hirooo