Community Update #14 - November 13th 2021

Majora

Greetings Skylords!

It's been three weeks since our last community update so it's time to bring you up to speed with everything going on in Skylords Reborn!

logo_community.png

As we mentioned in an earlier community update, new cards are in development. Last time we showed you our first new card: Coat of Protection. We are very excited to show you the second one today! 

New Card Reveal:
Please note: We are still testing the card. While we are generally happy about it and feel comfortable revealing it, numbers and effects might still change. We hope to release this card before the end of the year and will share more information at a later date. 

WastelandWingCard_1.pngWastelandWingcard2.png

Joining Windhunters in the sky, Wasteland Wing is an extremely strong tier 4 dragon. With strong stats combined with Life Steal, this new tool will be a great incentive for playing Bandits. It will be uncommon and come in two affinities, each having a different effect for its Cleanse ability. Let's break down the card.

Breath of Embers
Every 3 seconds, unit spews fiery sand out that deals 630/660/690/720 damage to enemies in a 35m radius around its target, up to 945/990/1035/1080 in total. Knocks back small and medium units.

Dragon_Ability_icon.pngInfused Cleanse (Fire-affinity only)
Cost: 110 Power - Cast Range: 30m
Activate to immediately remove all debuffs from up to 5 friendly units in a 15m radius. Will also revert all status effects like Freeze or Paralyze. Additionally, affected units deal 100% increased siege damage for 10 seconds. Reusable every 30 seconds

Dragon_Ability_icon.pngTainted Cleanse (Shadow-affinity only)
Cost: 110 Power -  Cast Range: 30m
Activate to immediately remove all debuffs from all units in a 15m radius. Will also revert all status effects like Freeze or Paralyze. Additionally, affected units will be immune to all major debuffs for 10 seconds. Reusable every 30 seconds.

lifestealer.pngLife Stealer
15% of the damage dealt by the unit will be added to its life points.

Wasteland Wing is a Pure Bandits alternative to Tortugun for those players who enjoy the Bandits playstyle and aesthetics but who do not want to interact with Tortugun's unique hunger mechanics. With an area-of-effect disenchant ability it will enable the typical Bandits playstyle of hard to pin down agents of destruction.

Artwork Reveal:
The artwork (and ability icon) has been designed by our talented artist Tweeto, and we gladly show it off in all its glory:

WastelandWing.png

Just like with Coat of Protection, a lot of time and changes went into this artwork. We thought it would be cool to show you some sketches to show the progress. A big thanks to Tweeto for constantly accepting feedback and improving the artwork. We are really happy with the final result, and hope you are too! 

image.png

Vote for Cardnames

Just like with Coat of Protection, we need your suggestions for the final cardname. During testing we came up with the cardname ''Wasteland Wing'', and abilities named ''Infused Cleanse'' and ''Tainted Cleanse''. However, part of our promise to our Patreons is to let them help with naming new cards based on suggestions from the community. For this, we will need your help!

Please reply in the comments below what you feel is the perfect cardname for this card, and how you would name the ability. Please note that Infused and Tainted are part of the affinity name, and will not be changed. 

Example:
Name: Wasteland Wing
Ability: Tainted/Infused Cleanse

Please only suggest one name. We will collect all the suggestions and let our Avatar-of-Frost-tier (and higher) patreons vote for the final name. 

Voice-actors Update 

Last Community Update we opened up applications for voice-acting the new cards. We are very happy with the results, and want to thank everyone for taking the time and effort to apply! We have made a selection of fitting voice-actors and will now work with them for the final script. If you applied but did not get a reply to your e-mail, please reach out to me. 

We hope you are looking forward to them bringing the new cards alive!

Updated 2vs2 Maps (test server)

We have released new versions of the PvP 2vs2 maps to the test server. Now we need your help to test them! Please go on the test server and try out these maps and share your feedback with us. The sooner we have good feedback, the sooner we can bring them to the live server (and create observer versions!). Toggy mentioned multiple times already that he will host another 2vs2 tournament if we have observer maps, so if you enjoy 2vs2, please test them out! 

You can find the latest list of map changes on the Wiki.

Promo Vote Results

As mentioned in our last community update, we plan to add a new promo to the game. The vote was locked behind Juggernaut-tier patreon, but we got permission to make it a community vote instead! Even though Sunderer was ahead on our Facebook poll, after collecting all the votes we have a clear winner: the next promo to be added to the game will be Mana Wing. 

We received both negative and positive feedback about our plans to add new promo cards. While some people were hyped about the upcoming new content, some felt the choice of promos was unfair, and others said more than one promo card should be added. We would like to remind you again that we are restricted in both time-resources and fitting artwork. We want to add cool stuff, but everything we do, no matter how small, will take time away from other areas. Currently our top priority is getting the new cards to you as soon as possible. We are always open for feedback, but please keep this in mind when voicing your opinions.

We will share the final look and how you will be able to collect the new promo in a later update.

ManaWing_smallest.jpg

Tournaments & Events

NEW: Skylords Open - 14.11.2021
The Skylords Open return! It's been a while since the last edition, so let's see if the players from the last Rookie tournament have made it to the top ranks since then and if someone has what it takes to take the top spot from RadicalX! Join Toggy on Sunday or watch the action on stream! Find all the information here. 

NEW: Official PvE Contest#3 Skylords Raid - Until 27.11.2021
We hope you didn't have a fallout with your team after the rPvE contest, because you will need a team for our latest event! For this event, show your skills on not one, but three different maps! There are prizes for just participation, so check out the rules and how to apply and have fun!

FINISHED: Official 4p rPvE Contest#1 The Bandit Hunt
Our rPvE contest has concluded! We hope you had a lot of fun, and we were glad to see some new players trying on rPvE. We will definitely do this kind of event again, so keep an eye out for that. The winners were announced on Twitch, which you can rewatch here. A big thanks to Volin for helping us with this event! 

• Host your own event / tournament

Want to host a tournament or event? Please reach out to our Event Organizer Hiko to have your event prizes sponsored by us. If you have a cool idea for a PvE event, or want to host a PvP tournament, please don't hesitate to reach out to us, we will gladly assist you. 

New Team Members / Open Positions

We have added two new global mods to the team; a warm welcome to Lontzek and Parity! Together with the rest of the mod-team they will make sure everything is running smooth. 

We are also happy to add
Progamer001 to our team. If you are active on our discord, you might have seen some of his alternative color schemes for units and buildings. He will help us with creating bosses for our rPvE modes and help out with our new cards. 

We are in dire need of Balance Developers! 
As mentioned in our last Community Update, we are in dire need of Balance Developers. If we do not get new members, we will not be able to release new cards in the future. Balancing will also have to be put on hold and/or drastically reduced. 

If you want to help, we would love to have you on our team. Below are two roles highlighted, but you can find more information, desired traits and all our open positions here. If you are unsure if you qualify, please reach out and have a talk! 

Open Position - Balance Developer
As a balance developer you are responsible to implement design changes to in-game cards using our internal balancing tool. In other words, you are responsible to implement new cards and changes to existing cards. These implementation requests can come from balance updates and content patches from our Faction Designers but also from the official Skylords Reborn map making team (for example, new bosses for a new map). An integral part of this role is learning our internal balancing tool, as that is the tool that allows us to perform all these changes. You are by no means required to have any programming experience. 
More information.

Open Position - Map Artist
As a map artist you are responsible to polish the aesthetics of a map. This includes texture the map, add decorations and add different effects and sounds. In other words, responsible for making the map look and feel good. More Information.

coat_of_protection_smaller.jpg

In Conclusion

We hope you liked this Community Update, thanks for reading! 

As is tradition, this community update comes with a scratch code. But this time you get to choose!
One code will reward you with a mini-booster, the other will give you 100BFP. 

Once you select one, the 
other one will be blocked. Choose wisely!
100 bfp: COMM-UNIT-YNEW-S14P
Mini booster: COMM-UNIT-YNEW-S14B

The code is valid till December 3rd.

We will update you again on December 4th. We will reveal another new card, so you don't want to miss it!
As always, we are open to feedback so please let us know! 

Archive
Community Update #11
Community Update #12
Community Update #13

Amazing new card! Getting all this tier 4 support for archetypes that seemed to be lagging behind in power level is really exciting. I especially can't wait until any potential new campaigns come out to be able to try them on.

As for the name of the card new card:

Name: Wasteland Scourge
Ability: Tainted/Infused Cleanse

The ability honestly sounds fine, as it's better to name them something familiar. Otherwise, I think the word Scourge better conveys that this monster is the apex of it's surroundings, rather than naming it Wasteland Wing, which rather sounds like it's implying for there to be many of these kinds. Even if it ends up being named Wasteland Wing, it still sounds cool, and any tier 4 bandit support is SO very welcome. 

I'm also so tempted to try applying for Balance Developer, but IDK if I have it in me to be able to do the job justice, as I don't play much pvp.

Either way, you guys have been doing an absolute amazing job, keep it up!!

Edited by WatcherOfSky
Deadman and Majora like this

Just to clarify, the Balance Developer position implements changes to new or existing cards. So for example, I would design a card, say Wasteland Wing, and the balance developer then uses the tool to create that unit within the game. Or we decide to allow Ravenheart to summon ships with X cost, and the balance developer makes those changes. Or the Map Makers need a new boss unit, so the balance developer creates the boss. We have an in-house tool that we use to do this and it is just a matter of spending enough time familiarizing yourself with it to help out in this way.

Majora likes this

9 minutes ago, WindHunter said:

Just to clarify, the Balance Developer position implements changes to new or existing cards. So for example, I would design a card, say Wasteland Wing, and the balance developer then uses the tool to create that unit within the game. Or we decide to allow Ravenheart to summon ships with X cost, and the balance developer makes those changes. Or the Map Makers need a new boss unit, so the balance developer creates the boss. We have an in-house tool that we use to do this and it is just a matter of spending enough time familiarizing yourself with it to help out in this way.

Oh! I didn't realize. I might actually apply then. 🙂

Dallarian and Dutchy like this

Nice update boys,

as my name idea, I know it's supposed to be just one but they are pretty much similar so just pick whatever sounds cooler or more lore friendly, idk: Skypurge Reaver or Skyreave Purifier

PS: I like naming things after their abilities which might make a problem for changes in the future so another suggestion with that in mind: Wasteland Reaver

Edited by Sanguiris
Majora likes this

Alright, i hope i dont offend anyone while saying this, but i feel like the artwork of the dragon is lacking something. The impact is missing but i cant really explain it. Love the overall idea for the design but it looks a bit plain, maybe the fact that its not centralized is a reason for it or that it could use a small piece of bandit armor. But hey what do i know, best thing i can do are stick figures. Just wanna say thats its still looking awesome and i think the scars are pretty nice. I think the name and all is pretty fitting.

I really hope that i wasnt going too far with my little criticism @.@

Nooooo why ManaWing? T_T But oh well, maybe not this time doesnt mean Moloch, Sunderer or Deathrays are never gonna have their promos.

Great community update as always, keep up the great work guys.

1 hour ago, Riviute said:

Alright, i hope i dont offend anyone while saying this, but i feel like the artwork of the dragon is lacking something. The impact is missing but i cant really explain it. Love the overall idea for the design but it looks a bit plain, maybe the fact that its not centralized is a reason for it or that it could use a small piece of bandit armor.

For me it seems a bit "empty". While Frost :frostorb::frostorb::frostorb::frostorb: looks great and climatic, this one doesn't seem to be fitting inside of the card's artwork window.

I'd say it's a bit too empty in the middle, what looks out of place. Other cards are not afraid of putting Dragon's body into the centre and the head is always the main part,  wings are often heavily cutted & or improportional, yet nobody questions Windhunter's belonging to Battleforge.
I believe it may be a topic for Art Critics to consider.

1918494370_dragon2.png.d4598b658601a241526da7b7aab6f251.png1650511190_dragon1.png.7fec76f67bdae8760403e8d9842a3f47.png1145719281_dragon4.png.8643ee39046f096bdfd18c28cfb6c783.png2132092735_dragon3.png.1424c03be64f22529c5b86ff4cf72111.pngwing.png.1a78516d3593218aa744596ce802e924.png

Name suggestion: Wasteland Terror

Edited by Dallarian

16 minutes ago, Dallarian said:

For me it seems a bit "empty". While Frost :frostorb::frostorb::frostorb::frostorb: looks great and climatic, this one doesn't seem to be fitting inside of the card's artwork window.

I'd say it's a bit too empty in the middle, what looks out of place. Other cards are not afraid of putting Dragon's body into the centre, and wings are often heavily cutted & or improportional, yet nobody questions Windhunter's belonging to Battleforge.
I believe it may be a topic for Art Critics to consider.

1918494370_dragon2.png.d4598b658601a241526da7b7aab6f251.png1650511190_dragon1.png.7fec76f67bdae8760403e8d9842a3f47.png1145719281_dragon4.png.8643ee39046f096bdfd18c28cfb6c783.png2132092735_dragon3.png.1424c03be64f22529c5b86ff4cf72111.pngwing.png.1a78516d3593218aa744596ce802e924.png

also I do feel like the dragon's "feet" are a little weird looking

Cool seeing a big bandit dragon. The artwork itself is very nice, but the dragon could certainly be moved a little closer to the center. Furthermore, I'd also suggest a "stronger" title to accompany Wasteland. Wing sounds more like a small bird akin to Manawing to me, while Terror and Scourge truly bring out that fearsomeness of an XL Dragon unit. Terror especially. 

Additional ideas, all of course following the naming convention of "Wasteland...":

- Tyrant

- Menace

- Drake (sounds boring I know)

- "add sky as a third noun in the middle, I.e. Sky Terror"

Omg, I am super hyped for the new Bandit card, it looks amazing!!

Just a little question about the red affinity:
It currently says "adds x% bonus siege damage to allied units...". Does that mean, that only siege units are buffed, or do all units get a siege bonus from the ability, no matter if they have it normally or not?

Wasteland Wing sounds like there should be a, well, wing of them, and probably more along the lines of drakes than a Dragon.

If they're intended as a singular capstone unit, I'd say something strong, like Wasteland Tyrant. If they're meant to be clustered as a group, Wasteland Scourge.

Tainted Cleanse sounds like a oxymoron, and, I need to note, has the effect of the Gifted Disenchant, with the Tainted Disenchant instead being tailored to making enemies insensitive to buffs. Might be worthwhile changing its affinity.

Infused Cleanse is fine though.

Though, to confuse things further, Bloodhorn's Tainted Purge doubles their damage at the cost of some life, while it's their Infused Purge that gives them debuff immunity. :?

--

As for balancing concerns, since the numbers aren't finalised:

The 290 power cost, two red/two purple orb cost, 5250 (L)/2950 statline feels somewhat awkward, considering their closest comparisons are their fellow Bandit Deck capstones, Bloodhorns (RPXX) and Tortugun (RRPP), both at 240 power, 4700 (XL)/5000 and 8400 (L)/3200 respectively, at U0. That's one hell of a premium just for having wings.

On the other wing, Fire Dragons are 240 power, 2150 (XL)/2400 at U0, and three fire orbs. But that's still a one orb splash, rather than being locked behind a specific four orb combo. And the Rage is one hell of a drug.

Giant Wyrms, we all know that they're going to be a direct comparison to any other dragon, are 4000 (L)/3530 at U0, going up to 5115 (L)/3530 at U3, for just ten more power (300), but the far more flexible one Green splash.

Edited by Chronopie
+Bloodhorn purges
WatcherOfSky likes this

1 minute ago, AVinc said:

Based on the artwork I think Wasteland Wyvern would fit quite nicely (could also do Wyrm).

Dragons are widely represented by both creatures with wings and 4 legs, and creatures with wings and 2 legs, and every Dragon in Battleforge has two legs.

However, there are almost no representations of wyrms and drakes as a huge dragonlike creatures with wings, so I hope Devs won't name it Wyrm & Drake ^^

WatcherOfSky likes this