Offering(b)

Ggoblin

and on what other cards you would need charges? Buildings can not be moved, so in most situations they are useless, and spells even worse the effect ends almost instantly, most of them can miss and are not even cheaper than units, and units are permanent and can move.

3 hours ago, Ggoblin said:

And how is the blue one useful? Doesn't give you non unit charges either.

Offering Easter Egg to get an extra charche for Asbone f.e. There are ways to use it. But most of the time all use Green Aff, just it gets also back CHarches on Spells and buildings

Metagross31 likes this

There are decks that use lots of spells + void recursion and would like more spell charges. All I'm saying is the card is hyper niche and proposing a new version that could have more interesting uses.

Sorry if saying "useless" seems rude but I guarantee most players would never bother with the card and there's almost no cases where it would be better than the other affinity.

Edited by Ggoblin

The advantage of the frost affinity is that you are not bound by tier and so once you are past a tier you can use its units to gain more charges for higher tiers, the problem being here that usually units scale up in size over the tiers and that the units with charge problems are almost all XL which severely limits what cards are actually useful to use it on, not to mention that power costs make this largely inefficient to spawn a corsair, soulhunter or Grigori compared to a rifle cultist or Cultist master. Even with void manipulation you have to pay it upfront which is just inconvenient with the numbers we're talking about. You can argue that you save a deck slot if you actively use an Xl unit in t3 but then again, Cultist Master are a staple anyways and Rifle Cultists ability can still be usefull so it is not even necassarily a wasted slot.

--> The problem is that where the frost affinity should have an advantage the inherent power costs of units where it should be usefull make it inconvenient to say the least.
I think the biggest reason to play it currently would be when you are missing a lot of charges of L-sized creatures in t3 and then try to fit it in with relatively cheap L-sized t2 units like lost shade. This is pretty much only applicable to beginner and maybe early advanced players that are still building up their collection.

When you then consider that with nature affinity you can enable combinations like 2x infect, 2xsoulshatter, 2xthunderstorm or 2x cluster explosion, reset the cooldown of cc in a critical moment of a fight it is pretty obvious that nature affinity might cost you a deck slot but is more flexible and convenient. Frost offers 1 (potentially) big upside, but that upside also has downsides besides all the clear negatives compared to nature affinity.

Just an idea out of the blue (hah!) - why not let offering frost affinity regain charges for all cards that share orb requirements with the offered card (e.g. I offer a Lost Vigil and all cards that have frost or shadow orbs as requirements regain a charge), not sure about this though because it does sound very strong in 2 orb splash decks.

Ggoblin likes this

Thank you for the in depth explanation. I didn't do one since I hadn't expected to have to defend why the blue affinity is underwhelming.

Your proposal does sound 2 strong though, it'll be almost always better than the green affinity, inverting which one is useful.

Edited by Ggoblin
grammar

1 hour ago, Ggoblin said:

Thank you for the in depth explanation. I didn't do one since I hadn't expected to have to defend why the blue affinity is underwhelming.

Your proposal does sound 2 strong though, it'll be almost always better than the green affinity, inverting which one is useful.

I agree with the assessment. I originally thought that rainbow decks would not benefit as much but as they almost always rely on cooldown from just 2 colors in late game it would probably still be better even then. One could add limitations such as shdow frosts cards would then only add charges for shadow frost cards though^^
One could also orient oneself on power costs like gaining charges back for all cards with power cost of offered unit +- value X which would change focus from XL units to L unit and spell support (depending on value X).
I dd not really think these through indepth though (as you can see from the initial proposal)^^

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, Treim said:

One could add limitations such as shdow frosts cards would then only add charges for shadow frost cards though^^

This one is by far the best choice imo. you could make it like the blue offering is only giving charges of the cards that are the exact color combination of the offered card. For example if you offer like a Sunstrider all your pure red cards would get a charge (i know it sounds busted at first) but it wuld make "nearly" pure color decks like

:natureorb::natureorb::natureorb::shadoworb::frostorb::frostorb::frostorb::shadoworb::fireorb::fireorb::fireorb::shadoworb: or :shadoworb::shadoworb::shadoworb::shadoworb: much stronger since they could benefit the most of this card. I think it would be balanced couse the more broken decks like Batariel, Spirit ships etc. can't profit from it and when you offer a splashed card like a lost shade for instance you would only get charges for LS cards. I think the only Problem could be pure shadow but let's be real there are much other problems in pure shadow than gaining charges. 

If you are playing a Splash like :frostorb::frostorb::frostorb::shadoworb: then you could get charges for your Ironclad on t4 while also getting coldsnaps and homesoils.

This card could be cool in my :fireorb::shadoworb::shadoworb::fireorb: ashbone deck. In the earlier stages I could gain charges for my ashbone by offering cultist masters and in the Later stages I could gain charges for cluster explosion, unity etc. by offering my t1 units. (i don't play infect in this deck cause it boring imo.) :kaboom:

I think balance whise it wuld be fine, but i could also understand if someone wuld argue that shadow (with infect etc.) is a problem here.

Ps. sorry, my English is just garbage. I try to work on it. 😅

Edited by Ccypher