Empire - Discussion Thread

WindHunter

Responsible members of the Skylords Reborn team recently met to discuss possible changes to campaign maps. What is outlined here are the proposed changes to the map Empire. These changes are not final and are only proposed. As a warning, other map projects such as more RPvE presets and Defensive RPvE have a much higher priority for our team. As such, these, or any campaign map changes, may not happen for a very long time. 

Some changes here are firmer than others, all italicized proposals have accompanying explanations for why we are considering them, but they are the most tentative of all the proposals.

Proposed Changes:

1.   Fix the bug where sometimes Jorne gets stuck by Stonekin units and cannot get into his final position to start the ritual.

2.   Standardize Mo’s stampede abilities between difficulties.

3.   Teleport device gives control based on proximity.

4.   Teleport device can teleport Red King both ways instead of only to your side.

5.   If Jorne (or any of the four kings) dies, players lose the map.

6.   Come up with some way for the side quests with Kobold Engineers and Midwinter to be relevant.

In theory, the player in the past is meant to progress through the map and by doing so help the player in the present. In practice, the Kobold Engineers’ buildings and the Midwinter are both rarely if ever useful. As such we would like to theory craft how we could modify Empire to allow the map to function the way it was supposed to from the beginning.

For standard and advanced this map is alright but in my experience has a couple problems. 

1: I always play spot 4 and I have to say the difficulty of the t4 camp is excessive. It seems like it was meant to be played by 1 player and yet theres a path from the other side to possibly allow for a 2-player assault. That said the player in spot 3 is pretty much almost always busy attending their own side and unable to assist. Assuming you have a sustainable defense to build t3 (this could just be a large enough force to kill waves and then regen next to orb) you need to assault this t3/t4 ls camp using at most t3. I'm not saying this should be a super easy map as it is ls and the last in one of the later lines but in most cases this requires a very expensive force (or niche strategies) which can cause a very boring delay while you reach the unit cap. 

-1.1: One way to help this would be to remove the antimagic buildings as this would allow players on the lower difficulties to access spell support much sooner. As it is now the attack priority goes anti magic>spawner>vigils>(maybe those corpse poisoners if i remember right)>boss>adds. Having to kill an antimagic building and 2 large spawners while being assaulting by vigils and various other ls adds and a boss that deletes xls can be quite difficult if you cant use many spells for much of the duration.

-1.2: give the player on the other side an incentive to assist in the assault so spot 4 doesnt have to spend so much time building an army

-1.3: consider reducing the army size or number of support buildings or the boss difficulty

2: so many times ive seen people in spot 1 free the red king before spot 3 is even close to clearing the corner and then they have to take huge losses rushing to the corner to prevent him from dying. I propose preventing freeing the red king in the past until the future has the area clear for the lower difficulties. At the very least players need to be significantly notified so spot 3 at least knows to clear that corner asap.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ohh there already is a lot regarding Empire on the forums 🙂

Only went through the Bugs-Section and did not find that much^^

How much happend regarding this topic?

1. for Jorne getting stuck, I found a solution. I just send them to another tag. (see attached script)

Maybe we should also teleport them to the required positions after a certain time has passed.

2. that should be pretty easy. Would make the "twoandfourplayers" script also a bit less cluttered 🙂 
I dont get it anyway, why they would downgrade Mo if there are less than 4 players.. and also upgrade Rogan..

(d) 661 story_SlaveMaster_Mo  4000 / 35000  (incl. Abilities)    only 4 Players
     763 story_Endfight_Mo     3000 / 26000  (w/o Abilities)      all the rest
 (d) 507 Rogan (Crusade)       1000 / 10000                       only 4 players
     829 Rogan (Empire)        2500 / 25000                       all the rest

3. have not looked at that, but one teleport device per player should be also pretty easy

4. have not looked at that aswell

5. Regarding Kings getting killed: I guess that mechanic should stay? I am currently experimenting with ways to keep the game running and respawn Rogan/Mo if a user leaves the game. Maybe also include a Task that shows the health of all of them and says that they need to stay alive.

I'd also add to the list:

7. remove the 2 player limit. There are known ways to "jump time". And if there is a player already on the other side of the map, we should let him finish the map?

8. somehow make it clear, that the armor can only be broken on the left side of the map

berger_fixjorne.lua

Edited by bergerb