Amii Monument rework idea

darkvolpe

After reading through some posts about this card and seeing the discussion about it, I'd like to bring in a new approach for balancing/reworking it. (5310-nerf-amii-monument6319-balance-proposal-amii-monument)

My idea would be to go away from "make its costs higher" and "make it t4", but rather does a little rework to open up new play styles with it.

on T3:

- when activated, it will just stay active for a short period of time (like 10, 20 or 30 seconds)
- after that time it most likely needs a very high cooldown to reactivate (like 120 seconds or something)
- Example: this gives you the ability to spawn some T4 cards, but that's it. You can't go fully into T4 "all time" and won't have T4 speels to support you.

This was the card when you have 3 "real" monuments active. Now, as you progress, you will get your "real" T4 and now the card changes its behaviour.

on T4:

- when activated, it stays active
- this enables the creation of T5 deck strategies without totally skipping the T3 part
- when one of the "real" monuments gets destroyed, the above said timer starts ticking and after X seconds the monument gets deactivated again -> because you are in T3 again now

On T3 the card now works like a little Enlightenment, but restricted to your "normal" orbs in the deck you use (e.g. no Batariel or Dreadnought spawning from within a nature deck).

With the short activation period on T3 it disables the full "I skip T3, T4 is better" behaviour as it doesn't stay active unlimited.

Maybe on the power cost side as some points that came into my mind:

- activation costs X power when activated on T3

- activation costs nothing when activated on T4😄

EDIT: damn, wanted to post it in "Cards" rather than "Suggestions"... can it be moved?

EDIT EDIT: thx @DutchyDutchy for moving 😄

Edited by darkvolpe
GiftZwergrapper and Dutchy like this

Honestly the entire design of this card is problematic. It completely breaks maps that came out before it, and makes is so that you can just skip building t3 units in your deck. In fact if there wasn't a limitation of one amii monument per map, nobody would ever bother collecting T3 unit cards in this game.

Making it so that you have to manually activate it, doesn't really solve this issue, it just makes the card more annoying to use in my opinion. 

Making it t4 is the same as removing it (which I am not completely opposed to tbh). Because let's be honest when was the last time you built a t5 deck? Nobody is going to waste 1 slot in their deck for that, especially since they can just swap orbs for less power. Your scenario would be useful if somebody requires to switch orb multiple times, but outside of few achievement quests, nobody is really doing this.

What about making it T4 and make it give a permanent enlightenment effect? I.e. you can play any card without orb requirements once amii is built. That's all I've got, sorry I have no clue how to fix this card.

3 hours ago, Asher said:

In fact if there wasn't a limitation of one amii monument per map, nobody would ever bother collecting T3 unit cards in this game.

Haha that’s not a fact. Lots of great cards are at T3 and for some maps u don’t even need t4.

Edited by LEBOVIN

7 hours ago, LEBOVIN said:

Haha that’s not a fact. Lots of great cards are at T3 and for some maps u don’t even need t4.

Saying 'haha' does not make a point, sorry. The fact is with the current Amii monument you don't need t3. The only reason why you would ever play t3 is if another player has Amii (or you think another player has / needs Amii and you don't want to take it away from them) or if you simply don't want to play Amii because it's too overpowered by your own volition. 

8 hours ago, Volin said:

So your T4 is just random cards no matter color? Nah thanks 🙂

Yeah you know.. kind of like that other card I mentioned, called enlightenment. And of course there are downsides to building t4 amii, it takes a deck slot + we can probably buff the cost of it, reducing the speed at which a certain map can be completed etc. What is your solution? Feel free to propose it.

Edited by Asher

6 hours ago, Asher said:

Saying 'haha' does not make a point, sorry. The fact is with the current Amii monument you don't need t3. The only reason why you would ever play t3 is if another player has Amii (or you think another player has / needs Amii and you don't want to take it away from them) or if you simply don't want to play Amii because it's too overpowered by your own volition. 

Dude it is not like t4 is everything, just to list a few t3 cards I am surprised that u don’t need: the relevant void return cards like cultist master, or sow, mutating frenzy, infect, frenetic assault, Ashbonr pyro, bloodhealing, fallen skyelf… 

Lots of great stuff! And just to give you another reason you missed in ur list why not to use amii sometimes: it slows your map clear down.

Metagross31 likes this

On 9/13/2021 at 9:24 AM, Asher said:

Honestly the entire design of this card is problematic. It completely breaks maps that came out before it

Which is actually every single (official) map, since it was one of the (if not the?) last card added to the game.

Personally, I think Amii Monument is a stupid card. Enlightenment is also problematic, although it wasn't that broken before Batariel and other late game t4 powerhouses were released. Getting an Overlord or Avatar of Frost was definitely strong, but at least you were limited a little bit. 

Amii Monument is definitely a problematic design that is not easy to fix without removing what the card is trying to do all together. The only thing I can think of is making the cost of not clearing your t4 camp but instead going for Amii monument higher, by adding a long cooldown-before-use and/or higher powercost to it. If you for example had to pay 400 power for Ami Monument and you had to wait 3 minutes before it actives, it might on certain maps just be better to clear the camp and take your natural 4th orb. It gives players the choice to either turtle and build up towards amii monument, or go on the attack and grab the natural orb. Numbers would have to be finetuned of course, but I can imagine there is a sweet spot. 

Metagross31 likes this