Software behind forum.skylords

DevDanielson

Hiya,

Firstly the background story of my question: I have ones maintained a forum, developed in Laravel, but idk the external library/package used. The only time I worked with Laravel was with this forum project, and now I hate Laravel (already hated PHP). The languages I like more are C# .NET and Python.

Sow now my question, in what framework is this forum build and what  (external) libraries/packages are used for the forum? And are all projects you guys develop for Skylords Reborn open source?

My thoughts on this forum are great, it has many features and works perfect as far as I see.

Thanks in advance!

Kids regards,
Some fellow (web) developer

in what framework is this forum build and what  (external) libraries/packages are used for the forum?

This forum is from Invision Community, we use the IPS Focus Animate theme and have a few plugins for example for the Patreon integration or multi-account detection. It's an off the shelf solution that has worked out fine thus far, although sometimes leaves features or customizations to be desired. Besides some tweaks here and there, we did not change much. I know Invision Commnity uses PHP with a MySQL database, but as for what exact technologies they use in the forum itself I think you're better off looking at their documentation/website. But maybe the mention of PHP scares you away already :blight:

And are all projects you guys develop for Skylords Reborn open source?

No, they are not. Projects are open sourced when we think it makes sense and is appropriate to do so. Unfortunately up until now this has rarely been the case. With that being said, we will be open-sourcing our special effect editor that we finished not too long ago, as can be seen in our community update.

DevDanielson likes this

10 hours ago, Ladadoos said:

But maybe the mention of PHP scares you away already :blight:

Haha it might does 🤔😂 but I'll have a look at the documentation of Invision Community anyways. I think a forum might be a fun and interesting project to develop. 

10 hours ago, Ladadoos said:

Projects are open sourced when we think it makes sense and is appropriate to do so.

Makes sense. Thanks for the quick answer! I appreciate it, always fun to discuss software projects and get to know a bit about the ins and outs 😁

34 minutes ago, DevDanielson said:

Makes sense. Thanks for the quick answer! I appreciate it, always fun to discuss software projects and get to know a bit about the ins and outs 😁

The special effect editor is made with C# and WPF, maybe you can help there at one point 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

The project is made with C# and WPF, maybe you can help there at one point 🙂 

I was actually looking at the Open Staff Positions just now. It might be interesting, but I have little to non experience with designing in WPF/XAML, but I have design experience with Photoshop, Illustrator and 3Ds studios max. Next to that I'm a web/game developer. More a Web developer at this point. I have experience with C# (.NET), as far as I know right now it is my fav programming language. I also have experience with Git and Docker, but not (yet) with Kubernetes.

At the moment I'm graduating (for bachelor Software Engineer), so I'm a bit too busy to get started right away. But I'll think about it and have a look at it again within a few weeks!