Community update #7 - July 17th 2021

Majora

Greetings Skylords!

It's been two weeks already since our last community update so it's time to bring you up to speed with everything going on in Skylords Reborn!

logo_community.png

Test Server Patch

A new patch has hit the test server, including another batch of balance changes and adjustments. This patch contains many balancing changes and experimental changes for both PvE and PvP, with Frost specifically getting some love this time. We have also sent the first reworked versions of the 2vs2 maps to the test server!

Please take a look at the patch notes, test them out on the test server and take part in the discussion.
A detailed list of changes with images will become available in the wiki in the upcoming days.

There have now been a couple of patches to the test server, resulting in a big difference between the current state of the game on the live server and the card adjustments on the test server. Which brings us to:

Upcoming Patch

We are now preparing the next patch for the live servers. It has been a while since our last patch, so expect this to be a big one with tons of balance changes for both PvP and PvE. Because of this, we have quite a bit of work ahead of us and we expect this patch to release in the beginning of August. We hope you are looking forward to a new meta with new strategies to play with. 

We will share more information about the specific changes in our next community update on the 31st of July. 

New Cards development update

To manage expectations: we will not release new cards in this upcoming patch. As mentioned in a previous community update, we are currently creating new cards for Bandits (Fire/Shadow), Amii (Nature/Shadow) and Pure Frost.

New card development is going well, but we are treading new territory here and want to take our time to make sure our first new cards are the best they could be. This still could take quite a while, but please rest assured we are working hard to give you some cool new cards to play with!

Meanwhile we are continuing rolling out balance patches to give underplayed cards some love, and offer you new strategies and options for all the factions in the game. New cards can be tools to help fill these specific roles, but we are also looking at adjusting existing cards to reach the desired result. 

We are also taking a deep dive into each faction separately, spending a lot of time figuring out what makes the faction tick, its strengths and weaknesses and where it could need some help to allow for a more diverse play style. 

dreadnought_smallest.jpg

Deep Dive: Pure Frost

Frost has been our primary focus for the past several months and our team is excited to finally get to share our work with the community. Attached you will find a document exploring the Frost faction in detail, including upcoming changes and a tease of our first new card!

While Frost has been the first faction on our list, in the future other factions will also be receiving major changes. As our focus shifts from one faction to another we will continue to provide insights into our thinking through future documents like this one.

We hope this look into Frost has helped you to understand both the faction better and our reasoning behind the upcoming changes.

Pure Frost Deep Dive.pdf

Upcoming Tournaments

• NEW: Official PvE Contest#2 Slave Master
Our second
official PvE contest is running! Play Slave Master on Advanced but with a twist! Go back to the roots and put in your best time using only cards from the first edition (Twilight Edition). The contest is running until the 28th of July and you can win multiple prizes. Check out the full rules here. 

• NEW: Skylords Open #10
Next week (25th of July) the 10th edition of the Skylords Open will take place! Battle it out in a 1vs1 community tournament hosted by Toggy, open for everyone, and with prizes! If you want to participate, it helps a lot if you sign-up in advance.

Last tournament had some great matches on all skill levels, so whether you are a new player or looking to break the win streak of RadicalX; join us for a day of PvP-fun!

New Team Members / Team Changes

Another new member has joined the Skylords Reborn team. We are happy to welcome ddrazard as a Discord Moderator.

As always; if you want to see Skylords Reborn succeed, please take a look at how you can help. There are still some open positions in our team.

abyssalwarden_smallest.jpg

In conclusion

Thanks for reading! 

Is there anything you wish us to cover in upcoming community updates? As always, we are open to feedback so please let us know!

Here is a scratch code you can redeem in-game for 100bfp. COMM-UNIT-YUPD-ATE7
The code is valid till July 31th. 

Archive
Community Update #4
Community Update #5
Community Update #6

One thing, the Frost Deep Dive's analysis section states that Shatter Ice deals devastating damage to buildings, despite not being implemented (yet), and the only source of building freezes (on live) is the red affinity Rageflame.

While it's nice to see that Frost Shard will be gaining the trait, it's a touch misleading at the present time.

(Any chance we could add the trait to the Winter Witch too?)

Wow! Massive update, and I love it!! Im a pure Frost player and I rly like the changes! Im impressed by you guys, also the dmg increase for Ironclad is very much needed he feels so underwhelming on rpve but he is such a unique and cool card, bring him some love! Avatar feels amazing broken shields genius idea, and for the Dreadnought these abilities are perfect I always wanted a bit of healing after a huge fight. Im a bit scared about the new aoe spell shield spell doesnt it make the winter witch a bit useless anyway I will still use her as my main shield maker keep up the good work im amazed by u guys!!!!

Majora likes this

9 hours ago, Chronopie said:

One thing, the Frost Deep Dive's analysis section states that Shatter Ice deals devastating damage to buildings, despite not being implemented (yet), and the only source of building freezes (on live) is the red affinity Rageflame.

While it's nice to see that Frost Shard will be gaining the trait, it's a touch misleading at the present time.

(Any chance we could add the trait to the Winter Witch too?)

I agree it can come off a bit misleading, but this document is also meant to be convey our long term thinking on Pure Frost and in only a few weeks it will be on the live server anyway. I will think about the idea of giving Winter Witch the ability as well.

Volin likes this

Sounds amazing, frost was my first color I played in the origional bf and still love it.

One addion what I think would be cool, maybe make winter witch also avaibel for freezing buildings, that would be some nice extra do use her not just passive and makes her more use as also as an offensive force. 

Special with the shattered ice synergy. 

Ladadoos and Minashigo Hiko like this

Here is my suggestion after reading the Frost analysis:

=======

AoF cost 250, the ability cost 50(beta patch note) , which cost a lot for t3 unit.

why battleship + winterwitch ice shield work well ?

• battleship is durable, fast with shield and can fire on the move . So the target will alternate between the ship and the shield will be ultilized fully.
  • witch's shield amount is ridiculous at 1800

and this AoF will not?

• does not scale well into t4.
  • there is not alot of left over power to summon more unit.
  • work better on melee unit, which pure frost is lacking. to active on range unit, need to walk back => waste time and awkward control.
  • having multiple shield on range unit is not ideal in PvE .( I cannot envison how skyelf sage would work as support dps with this change).
  • no fire on the move at tier 3 and below unit.

suggestion:

I believe it is better to have thing to further support his tanking role such as:

• Attack speed slow aura/active ability
  • movement speed slow aura/active ability(which would be useful in PvP)
  • Stop ice shield timer of nearby unit/ regenerate ice shield of near by unit (like lost banestone).
  • increase freeze time of nearby unit/building.
  • AoE damage.

=============

Ice age moving to t3:

While this might unlock more potential for the spell, but Mountaineer  + ice age combo will be lost .

it practically make Mountaineer become avatar of Frost at t2.

===========

Tempest: frigid birth

I respect your attempt to make this card more useful but...

the ability does not make sense on range unit .

Emberstrike, soulhunter are melee units and can and should be summoned on top of enemies

Edited by undead4ever

On 7/21/2021 at 5:34 PM, undead4ever said:

Tempest: frigid birth

I respect your attempt to make this card more useful but...

the ability does not make sense on range unit .

Emberstrike, soulhunter are melee units and can and should be summoned on top of enemies

Yeah, it is a bit strange - maybe instead of damage dealing ability make it some damage reduction ability? or damage increase for surrounding units, etc.