rPvE 9(10) - Lost Ships

Hey guys,
Long time fan of the game here. Still can't believe it's up and running again.

I used to play Spirit Ships a lot, so I thought why not begin with that again. I'm trying to tinker a deck together for rPvE 9 (and if possible, also 10). It currently looks like this:

image.thumb.png.46c0501a2b4d258f4baf58934035599d.png

I'm hoping some of you could give me advice or suggestions on how to improve my deck.

Really appreciate it, thanks in advance!

I think this deck already look really good and is definetely enough for lvl 9.
If I had to change something, I would probably replace the Dreadcharger, as it is not necessarily needed in most runs. Maybe use something like Soulsplicer (green) instead, as this will help you a lot in T1.

Flasonios likes this

6 minutes ago, Metagross31 said:

I think this deck already look really good and is definetely enough for lvl 9.
If I had to change something, I would probably replace the Dreadcharger, as it is not necessarily needed in most runs. Maybe use something like Soulsplicer (green) instead, as this will help you a lot in T1.

Yea, the dreadcharger act as meatshields. I didn't think of the soulsplicer, I'll try it out. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Metagross31 said:

If you really want a dedicated meatshield for T1, better use Skeleton Warriors. With their Unholy Armor, they are perfect for that job!

You're right! I never even bothered to check them, this might be even better, I'll try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Metagross31 likes this

Soulsplicer > Meatshield for standard purpose in BG9

For BG10 shadow start is - at least in random groups - not recommended. If you want to do it, Soul Splicer (G) is set and so is Motivate (which I would recommend for BG9 too).

Rest of the deck is very common for LSS imho and rock-solid.

PS: I personally prefer Forsaken as T1 unit for allrounder BG-decks, as they are a bit more versatile (thinking of Lost Souls Dancers and suicide-actions), but that is a personal attitude. Nox ofc have their strengths too!

Flasonios likes this

i also would swap to Forsaken motivate and soul splicer in t1. Also i would recoment using just the Red LSS, an add Fire Crystal for the DMG buff u can get, with motivate u can keep buffed flying around (for this u also need to add Offering and RIffle-Cultists to get the LSS charches) I think in moste cases u do not need the Ashbone at all, so u can replace him with f.e. Offering.

I play Lss witout any t4 XL ground unit, i just use the riffle cultis as ground presence, just hold them back out of danger to keep spawning more LSS. 

But all for all i think moste important thing is: Never stop flying around with the lss, they deal more dmg if they are flying around (and also not get many hits for enemys ;) )

just some ideas. 

Btw: Shadow start in BG10 is hard witout any suport, but possible, i think it hard depens on the map. For BG10 i recoment Fire or Nature (also here it depens on the map, random generatet i play 70% fire start)

/wanky

Flasonios likes this

13 hours ago, Volin said:

Soulsplicer > Meatshield for standard purpose in BG9

For BG10 shadow start is - at least in random groups - not recommended. If you want to do it, Soul Splicer (G) is set and so is Motivate (which I would recommend for BG9 too).

Rest of the deck is very common for LSS imho and rock-solid.

PS: I personally prefer Forsaken as T1 unit for allrounder BG-decks, as they are a bit more versatile (thinking of Lost Souls Dancers and suicide-actions), but that is a personal attitude. Nox ofc have their strengths too!

Allright, thanks for the suggestion!

I'll swap out Nox for Forsaken and Dreadcharger for a Soulsplicer. Never used Motivate. Any idea what to swap out for that?

13 hours ago, wanky said:

i also would swap to Forsaken motivate and soul splicer in t1. Also i would recoment using just the Red LSS, an add Fire Crystal for the DMG buff u can get, with motivate u can keep buffed flying around (for this u also need to add Offering and RIffle-Cultists to get the LSS charches) I think in moste cases u do not need the Ashbone at all, so u can replace him with f.e. Offering.

I play Lss witout any t4 XL ground unit, i just use the riffle cultis as ground presence, just hold them back out of danger to keep spawning more LSS. 

But all for all i think moste important thing is: Never stop flying around with the lss, they deal more dmg if they are flying around (and also not get many hits for enemys ;) )

just some ideas. 

Btw: Shadow start in BG10 is hard witout any suport, but possible, i think it hard depens on the map. For BG10 i recoment Fire or Nature (also here it depens on the map, random generatet i play 70% fire start)

/wanky

I usually run about 2, sometimes 3 Overlord as both ground presence, but also emergency healing. They can stomp with the ships since they keep regenerating HP as along as units are dying. I really like them. I also use them to target remove specific buildings. Ships arent that great on that :P

A standard camp would be engaged with Netherwarp, Regrowth and Stone shell, then just let them fly around. I found this works best for me.

The reason I start shadow is so that I can drop resource boosters starting from the second orb. Although I suppose this could wait till 3rd / 4th orb. Starting off with nature I assume you use Windweavers and Shaman? How does Red start look like? Nomads(G) and Firesworn?

Thanks for helping me out! 

5 minutes ago, Metagross31 said:

Nature start: Windweavers, Shaman, Roots, Surge of Light
Fire start: Nomad g, Mine, Eruption, on some maps blaster canon.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Looking at the deck, I suppose a green start would be best. Fire doesn't have a place in here, so that means I would have to destroy my starting orb to rebuild it. It's possible, but I don't think I want that. Wastes precious time and power ;)

1 hour ago, Flasonios said:

Never used Motivate. Any idea what to swap out for that?

In your case I'd cut the ashbone. Your t2 is superior and your t3 shadow spells can do any job, if you need a ground presence at t3, your Cultist or Forsaken/Nox will do fine. You really should try out Motivate, its a great spell and even scales a bit into t4. First you use it in t1 to get power into your Nox/Forsaken, in the mid game you can Motivate a Crawler of your Infect and if you are on a good track you can do what wanky supposed and even use it on your LSS in the late match.

This is the case for either 9 or 10  but as the step up from 9 to 10 is a huge one, I wouldn't mix things here too much.

For BG9 Meta starts are imho:

- Forsaken/Nox, Soul Splicer (G) and Motivate

- Nomad (G), Mine, Eruption

- Windweaver, Surge, and one out of Roots/Hurricane (Hurricane mostly stronger, Roots more versatile). Hint: Practice your BG9 w/o Shaman.

For BG10 add:

- Bring either a red starting friend or superior knowledge as shadow player. The early boosters are great for speedrunning for example, but still no choice for allrounders and random groups (in my personal view)

- For Random maps or if you know you will face flying at t2 add for fire the mentioned Blaster Cannon. If you know you face certain situations you want prolly to bring sunstriders too (sunstriders only as supporter against flying, certain towers and to "block" Lost Souls Dancers

- For Nature starts you now want to add at least a Mark of the Keeper and prolly now you want to have the Shaman. Here Root the first choice over Hurricane, though both are ofc great.

1 hour ago, Flasonios said:

The reason I start shadow is so that I can drop resource boosters starting from the second orb.

And your reason is valid :) Early Boosters are a great thing, even more in your deck.

55 minutes ago, Flasonios said:

Fire doesn't have a place in here, so that means I would have to destroy my starting orb to rebuild it. It's possible, but I don't think I want that. Wastes precious time and power ;)

For BG9 - NEVER EVER - but you already got it :D

If you want to play your deck in BG10  swapping one orb is a valid option! Another (I would prefer) is to play GreenT1, bring Shadow t2 and t3 and raise your boosters later. You cant say what is better, this is very situational.

However, it is basically very good that you are concerned about the bound energy and do not want to lose your orbs at any price. That is exactly right for the time being. However, keep in mind that changing your orbs can break your deck limitations (only 20 cards that are consistently distributed among the set 4 orbs) - this flexibility quickly makes the 100 energy worth it. Perhaps I may give an example of this: Every good Bata deck actually switches an Orb at some point in T3 or T4, regardless of whether Fire, Nature, or Shadow is started.
In BG 10 Fire is simply the meta start par excellence and furthermore you want to have at least one player on each side who is Shadow T2 (Phoenix Embalmers) - this forces 2 or more players to have 2 Orbs of a certain color. Since from Fire/Shadow 2 more Green orbs are needed for the Batariel, many experienced players go and change their T2 orb back to Nature after reaching T3, because they need it for their Enlightenment. Almost all good BG10 players I know do this (at least in unknown random maps with random groups without Discord) and change an orb 2 times in one match, ergo 200 energy loss.
It is important to consider well here: What are the costs, what is the benefit.

And ofc there are other ways to deal with a BG10 and ofc not everyone pushes a batariel there. Yes there is Amii for one player as option (but I would never plan this for allrounder decks) and ofc you can just push t4 on some maps. Just speaking of the MOST COMMON way I see almost everyday from the top BG players.

Edited by Volin
Metagross31 and Flasonios like this

Hey guys, here's an update:

Listening to you guys I decided to go with a nature start instead of a shadow start. I removed Equilibrum and Frenetic Assault with both T1 shadow units. I updated my deck list, here's how it looks now:
Nature > Shadow > Shadow > Frost

image.thumb.png.e84265a60258b89c971fd290a699737d.png

Potential removes:

- Surge of Light
- Ashbone Pyro

Potential adds:

- Offering
- Frenetic Assault

I have never used Offering before so I'm not sure if I need it if everything is upgraded. Frenetic Assault however is nice for big targets, which I'm missing now. 

Would love to hear your opinions, thanks again!

1 minute ago, Flasonios said:

Frenetic Assault however is nice for big targets, which I'm missing now. 

NEVER go w/o if your Orbs give you the option.

Liked your first Deck more btw. I would also recommend not to build "the one" deck, but to create variants for different purposes

25 minutes ago, Volin said:

NEVER go w/o if your Orbs give you the option.

Liked your first Deck more btw. I would also recommend not to build "the one" deck, but to create variants for different purposes

Reading this made me think. I think it's best to split it into 2 decks just like you said. I don't think I want to miss out on Frenetic.

So, deck brewing again I came up with the following:

For rPvE 9:

image.thumb.png.ea03e154ec9eb9470edfdf0fbcfd90ac.png

Still need to brew something together for 10, probaly with a nature start. 

I think the concept will be the same, but for 10 I would do:

- Forsaken
- Soulsplicer
- Motivate

+ Windweavers
+ Shaman
+ Ensaring Roots

+/- Equilibrum for Surge of Light (if needed) 

Obvious start green here:

image.thumb.png.fb8c57bd5c3e7364ae8d2e9970128c8d.png

How bad do I need mark of the keeper? Also, is Surge of Light required even with Shaman?

Thanks again, you guys are really helping me out!

28 minutes ago, Flasonios said:

How bad do I need mark of the keeper?

I would put it this way (that's really not meant rudely!): As long as you're asking this question, you better take it.
There are, as in every card game, infinite ways to Rome - however, I would first follow the beaten path, as long as your knowledge may not yet be deep enough to build your own compositions.
Mark of the Keeper helps you enormously to keep your T1 in the beginning, if you know your cards (and many other things, like BG-spawn-mechanics) very well, you can of course master this situation without MotK.

38 minutes ago, Flasonios said:

Also, is Surge of Light required even with Shaman?

For BG10 I would highly recommend both. For BG9 I - personally! - would never bring a Shaman.

16 minutes ago, Volin said:

I would put it this way (that's really not meant rudely!): As long as you're asking this question, you better take it.

No offense taken :) I'm really thankful you're helping me out so much.

I'll put it in for equilibrum. I honestly wouldn't know what other card to cut. 
That does mean I'll miss out on Surge of Light. 

Maybe nether warp? It's quite handy but not necessary. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by Flasonios

Hey guys, 
An update, again. I took in all advices and suggestions from you guys so a big thanks for that!

I've been brewing and I think I got my lists. As said by @Volin I'll make 2 seperate lists. One for rPvE 9, and one for 10.

For rPvE 9:

image.thumb.png.86e3c5609e8554152cf24b1abec635c6.png

For rPvE 10:

image.thumb.png.613bf76507193aee0ddd52ca5a0ad9d5.png

Any more suggestions are always welcome!

Big thanks to all who helped me!!

Volin likes this

if u replace the purple frenetic to the green one, i would like it a bit more :D

why the green one? U can use it on enemy buildings (works awsome on willzapper or Spawn f.e. or just the bigdmgtower placed in mittle of each camp)

U will see that in many BG9 u dont need to place soul splicer moste time 7-8 forsaken with motivate and good micro and focus fire can do the jop witout loosing all. 

13 hours ago, wanky said:

if u replace the purple frenetic to the green one, i would like it a bit more :D

why the green one? U can use it on enemy buildings (works awsome on willzapper or Spawn f.e. or just the bigdmgtower placed in mittle of each camp)

U will see that in many BG9 u dont need to place soul splicer moste time 7-8 forsaken with motivate and good micro and focus fire can do the jop witout loosing all. 

Didn't know that about Frenetic Assault, it isn't stated anywhere. I'll try it out though! Thanks for the tip! :)

Just to maybe clarify the slightly contradicting advice that wanky was giving compared to other people.
The speedrun strategy for Lost Spirit Ship is played with just fire affinity and flame crystal. It is not necassary for casual play whatsoever and has its drawbacks as in random maps you are less prepared for what occurs in camps compared to speedruns where the map is known and usually multiple runs are finished.
Ground presence makes it significantly easier to adjust for bad decisions and therfor grants you a lot more leeway in how to approach camps, which is especially relevant against Twilight, where 1 bad decision can cc-lock a LSS only army to death.
Ground presence has its drawbacks against Lost Souls though, especially with a sustain tank like Overlord where the Lost Souls Necrofurys can focus down a couple of units. Also ground presence there allows these Necrofurys to damage air units when they are positioned on top or in close proximity to a focused ground unit, so I'd recommend playing with only 1 Overlord for the first 2 layers of camps and a more LSS centric game against Lost Souls and leave the Overlord behind for the last layer of t4 camps and clear that with LSS only.
Just something to keep in mind.

Overall you shouldn't have any issues with your rPvE 9 deck at all.
Just in case you are interested in what an optimized allrounder LSS deck for random level 9 looks like, I'll leave this here:
LSS.thumb.PNG.e4b95a9c92d99f0a7c7bdff7134d46fd.PNG

Also while the points previously brought up by my fellow posters for the level 10 considerations are correct, you can certainly make the case that a fire t1 is not as bad one might initially think.
Fire t1 will pretty much always be significantly faster to nature t1 in clearing t2, so you also get to have those wells earlier which reduces the 100 power deficit the orb switch will cost you, while you can also play that with 4 deck slots (though I think I would cut Shaman from your current deck as well, so that might be a mute point if you do that). Though you obviously have to find a good spot to swap orbs without sacrificing elsewhere as well.
Fire usually is better at supporting other players as well.
In terms of LSS on 4 player level 10 in general:
I usually find that you have a hard time reaching critical mass with them. Due to the start being delayed significantly compared to level 9 often times (Lost Souls, Stonekin) or camps being significantly harder and annoying especially for LSS later on (Twilight), I often ran into the issue that I barely had any LSS and am almost always short just 1 or 2 ships to tackle a camp efficiently. Doesn't sound like a big deal but the problem is that LSS only really works well if they overwhelm camps with damage. So if you're underprepared against Lost Souls you have to deal with constant shields, against Twilight cc becomes even more of an issue and Stonekin has damage reduction that really slows you down as well and with due to damage spread of LSS (abeit not as bad as the previous 2 factions mentioned).
Imo LSS are still playable in random groups but you will often struggle later on, so don't be surprised about that as other decks work way better in low power scenarios which are a lot more common in level 10 maps. Also against Twilight you will almost inevitably need another cc spell or offering (for frenetic assault) otherwise any income with Wrathgazers or bigger camps will tear you apart at the seams. I'd personally cut Shaman for Curse of Oink as a versatile low cooldown spell.

Overall you did a very good job assembling these decks btw. :)
As you saw from the comments it really mostly is nitpicking and small optimizations.

Edited by Treim
Pritstift and Flasonios like this

38 minutes ago, Treim said:

Just to maybe clarify the slightly contradicting advice that wanky was giving compared to other people.
The speedrun strategy for Lost Spirit Ship is played with just fire affinity and flame crystal. It is not necassary for casual play whatsoever and has its drawbacks as in random maps you are less prepared for what occurs in camps compared to speedruns where the map is known and usually multiple runs are finished.
Ground presence makes it significantly easier to adjust for bad decisions and therfor grants you a lot more leeway in how to approach camps, which is especially relevant against Twilight, where 1 bad decision can cc-lock a LSS only army to death.
Ground presence has its drawbacks against Lost Souls though, especially with a sustain tank like Overlord where the Lost Souls Necrofurys can focus down a couple of units. Also ground presence there allows these Necrofurys to damage air units when they are positioned on top or in close proximity to a focused ground unit, so I'd recommend playing with only 1 Overlord for the first 2 layers of camps and a more LSS centric game against Lost Souls and leave the Overlord behind for the last layer of t4 camps and clear that with LSS only.
Just something to keep in mind.

Overall you shouldn't have any issues with your rPvE 9 deck at all.
Just in case you are interested in what an optimized allrounder LSS deck for random level 9 looks like, I'll leave this here:
LSS.thumb.PNG.e4b95a9c92d99f0a7c7bdff7134d46fd.PNG

Also while the points previously brought up by my fellow posters for the level 10 considerations are correct, you can certainly make the case that a fire t1 is not as bad one might initially think.
Fire t1 will pretty much always be significantly faster to nature t1 in clearing t2, so you also get to have those wells earlier which reduces the 100 power deficit the orb switch will cost you, while you can also play that with 4 deck slots (though I think I would cut Shaman from your current deck as well, so that might be a mute point if you do that). Though you obviously have to find a good spot to swap orbs without sacrificing elsewhere as well.
Fire usually is better at supporting other players as well.
In terms of LSS on 4 player level 10 in general:
I usually find that you have a hard time reaching critical mass with them. Due to the start being delayed significantly compared to level 9 often times (Lost Souls, Stonekin) or camps being significantly harder and annoying especially for LSS later on (Twilight), I often ran into the issue that I barely had any LSS and am almost always short just 1 or 2 ships to tackle a camp efficiently. Doesn't sound like a big deal but the problem is that LSS only really works well if they overwhelm camps with damage. So if you're underprepared against Lost Souls you have to deal with constant shields, against Twilight cc becomes even more of an issue and Stonekin has damage reduction that really slows you down as well and with due to damage spread of LSS (abeit not as bad as the previous 2 factions mentioned).
Imo LSS are still playable in random groups but you will often struggle later on, so don't be surprised about that as other decks work way better in low power scenarios which are a lot more common in level 10 maps. Also against Twilight you will almost inevitably need another cc spell or offering (for frenetic assault) otherwise any income with Wrathgazers or bigger camps will tear you apart at the seams. I'd personally cut Shaman for Curse of Oink as a versatile low cooldown spell.

Overall you did a very good job assembling these decks btw. :)
As you saw from the comments it really mostly is nitpicking and small optimizations.

Damn, thanks for all the info!

I'll focus on rPvE 9 for now. Might make another deck for 10, or at least adjust it even further.
Can't thank you enough for the tips in here! There is some really valuable info, thanks for that. I'll save the deck for later ;)