Timestamps on messages

DrunkenGummyBear

This feature is technically possible and could be added with relative ease (with an option to disable it) if there's enough interest for it.
Personally though, I think the BattleForge chat can already be quite bloated. Saying hi in the Strategy channel already is [{GM}Ladadoos] says to strategy: hi and with this feature it would only get longer. But I suppose this symptom is alleviated with the setting to disable this feature. The timestamp could perhaps be a tooltip on each message instead, too.

How would you format the timestamp?

Timer and Metagross31 like this

tbh, why not take out the "says"?
[15:25] Metagross31 to strategy:
Or use shorthands for channels (strategy - str, trade - trd, beginner - beg, lfg - lfg) and then make something like:
[15:26] Metagross31 to str:
(that last one might be overkill though)

LEBOVIN and Ca7 like this

2 hours ago, Metagross31 said:

tbh, why not take out the "says"?
[15:25] Metagross31 to strategy:
Or use shorthands for channels (strategy - str, trade - trd, beginner - beg, lfg - lfg) and then make something like:
[15:26] Metagross31 to str:
(that last one might be overkill though)

Perhaps even the "to channel name" could be optional aswell in the settings, as you have the colors anyways?

Edited by LEBOVIN
Metagross31 likes this

On 5/12/2021 at 3:14 PM, DrunkenGummyBear said:

Could work like that. Also the channel can be resized so getting a little longer shouldn't be much of a hussle. As of the format i think just the time whould be enough.

e.g. [16:13] DrunkenGummyBear says to strategy : hi

ah yes the beautiy of games made to work on low res screen that don't have UI scaling ._. -plays at 4K

22 hours ago, LEBOVIN said:

Perhaps even the "to channel name" could be optional aswell in the settings, as you have the colors anyways?

yeah, exactly, I think just "in/nothing" and the whole channel "word" would be nicer, but with colour codes, we could have that gone completely. Having more tabs for multiple channels would be nicer tho.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:24 PM, LEBOVIN said:

I like it. Do we consider it an issue global and region have the same color?

1 hour ago, DrunkenGummyBear said:

i think nobody uses region anyways so i guess not a problem.

But but, what about flat-earthers, I'm sure they would refuse to chat in global, and somehow game engines in general, go very well with their beliefs. (most of them are actually flat worlds xd)