Game progression (This is gonna be destroyed and probably removed, heck I might be banned.)

Ca7

Cards are to be unlocked by playing the story quests, and promos are only to be had by completing certain challenges, thus removing the cancerogenic trading and card spam aspect of the game.(more focus on strategy and rebalancing/new cards, to make gameplay more fun, and less wasting time farming and d!ck*ng around in AH)
Lesser version of this would be that, you only unlock common and or uncommon cards with story, and boosters can be reduced to 1 card, since only rare and ultra rare cards will be left, I guess only 1 per day would be fin, challenge frequency would have to be adjusted to reflect the player base size. (if the first option, maybe maps could have 4th difficulty added, and each level would give you the respective rarity, this way, there could be no bundled cards, you would start straight with TT deck, which is probably more than fine for STD maps) (Promos could also be provided to mappers who create maps with a good enough rating, would invigorate the mapping scene, I guess)

"(This is gonna be destroyed and probably removed, heck I might be banned.)" this ain't Facebook or China, bad opinions like yours are not banned or removed, just laughed at.

Yes, economy, the doom of all, where people who start equal and work their way up with hard work, time dedication and a tad of luck are the scum of the game. Please, do us a favor and stop posting these, you clearly just want a whole new game, so go find it (or make it, see how many people enjoy that soulless piece of garbage) and leave us alone.

LagOps, Cyber and Dallarian like this

As far as I know nobody gets banned for having a different vision how the game should be. Would be interesting if you elaborate where you got that perception from.

Edited by Kapo
Loriens likes this

4 hours ago, Ca7 said:

Just judging from how much everyone here loves the gacha/eBay simulator that this game currently is.

Did you still not notice there is NO way to pay with real money to get an advantage in the game? You only gain ingame currencies by playing the actual game or using its mechanics (yes, the dreaded AH and Direct Trade). Since EA no longer has any grasp on this, there is nothing that would make this comparable to a gacha game. Seriously just stop and look at the good instead of trying to dig so deep to find anything remotely bad about BattleForge.

I cannot agree that economy is bad, but so far it seems for me that rate of obtaining new cards is quite slow now.
I mean, I played from ~10 of january and still got only cards for speedruns, no cards to play with Pure Decks at all.
And there is no way to accelerate this.

Compared to the original Battleforge free-to-play model, the unlock mechanism is actually quite fast. Of course, back then you could make it as fast as you want by spending real money on it, which isn't the case now. But by getting your daily 45min discounted booster and doing some achievements, you can get a pretty decent collection without much problems. Promo's are meant to be rare and sought after cards though, so you either have to get lucky or save some points for them. 

With the free PvP decks, you also don't need to get a fully upgraded deck by grinding the game. 

Seeing that most of the maps can be cleared even on expert by very basic decks (there are some guides on the forum) this comes down to personal preference. We have also heard complaints from players that the progression is actually too fast, and then leaves players with little to do. In the end, the current system has been tested and adjusted in Beta, and is not likely to change. I hope you can still find enjoyment out of the game.

18 hours ago, anonyme0273 said:

Did you still not notice there is NO way to pay with real money to get an advantage in the game? You only gain ingame currencies by playing the actual game or using its mechanics (yes, the dreaded AH and Direct Trade). Since EA no longer has any grasp on this, there is nothing that would make this comparable to a gacha game. Seriously just stop and look at the good instead of trying to dig so deep to find anything remotely bad about BattleForge.

Grinding in games... I'd say games are there to have fun, grinding is an incentive to spend money, grinding for gacha is madness.

18 hours ago, Loriens said:

I cannot agree that economy is bad, but so far it seems for me that rate of obtaining new cards is quite slow now.
I mean, I played from ~10 of january and still got only cards for speedruns, no cards to play with Pure Decks at all.
And there is no way to accelerate this.

The problem isn't so much the rate of getting the cards, as it is the fact that current system is dumb, it provides what you (and everyone else) don't need and doesn't provide what you need, I might be wrong, but getting a single (unique) card every day, would probably provide you with complete collection before current set of daily boosters with their RNG can. As for the beloved  limitations, they can easily be self imposed, like playing x with a tutorial deck/community organised memes or whatever you will. Not sure how hard it is to add new cards, but IMO encouraging members to learn 3D modeling and shit for creating new cards and content would be way better than everyone grinding the quests and whatever to get the stuff, only for there to not be any future content and quitting. (pure PVP players probably couldn't give a johnny about this)

16 hours ago, Majora said:

Compared to the original Battleforge free-to-play model, the unlock mechanism is actually quite fast. Of course, back then you could make it as fast as you want by spending real money on it, which isn't the case now. But by getting your daily 45min discounted booster and doing some achievements, you can get a pretty decent collection without much problems. Promo's are meant to be rare and sought after cards though, so you either have to get lucky or save some points for them. 

With the free PvP decks, you also don't need to get a fully upgraded deck by grinding the game. 

Seeing that most of the maps can be cleared even on expert by very basic decks (there are some guides on the forum) this comes down to personal preference. We have also heard complaints from players that the progression is actually too fast, and then leaves players with little to do. In the end, the current system has been tested and adjusted in Beta, and is not likely to change. I hope you can still find enjoyment out of the game.

Yes it's faster than OG f2p model, but also not adjusted for the current supply of the BFP, in the OG game, overflow of a cards was rather rare, unless it was truly utterly useless and underpowered, it expected for most people to never have a complete collection, but as it is now, everyone will eventually get to it, so why not just make the system cleaner, there only ever needs to be as many copies of a card, as there are players, I could go here giving you parables, but that is waste of time and text, if you can't see the problem, that's sad.

Another garbage alternative would be to give players a selectable difficulty, and if you wanna grind you get 1 booster per day, and if you don't you, get 100 or something stupid, either way, before you finish the collection, you will end up with a fuckton of cards, you don't need, and neither does anyone else.

Promos IMO should be awarded to great achievements of players, by a certain system, and not by RNG, if the progression systems becomes non retarded, they might even be account bound, or maybe for certain ridiculous Patreon tiers, but at this point, server is up and running, and that would also be AFAIK illegal.

PvP decks are nice, but also a limiting, if game is unretarded, not needed.
Clearing things is not an issue. As for progression, story is rather short, but leaderboards are always there, and so are monthly challenges from what I can see, and increasing amount of community maps. Doing leaderboards>collecting all the cards but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Ca7

1 hour ago, Ca7 said:

if you can't see the problem, you must be lacking the two brain cells needed to process what you see.

Are you aware we are all volunteers who work on this project for no profit in our free time alongside actual jobs and/or studies? There is no need to be this aggressive. We are open to feedback, but if you start throwing around childish insults like this, I wont bother replying to you any longer. 

If you're tired of RNG i recommend selling your boosters and use the market to buy specific cards that you need. I think the fun and unique part of a card based game is to open boosters and RNG is inevitable. To me, the main problem you seem to lean towards is the toxicity of the market. allow me to make a simple rebuke to this statement. The market is only toxic with a couple of the more expensive cards (Especially Promo cards, they are just duplicates of regular cards which means you don't even need it unless you want the skins) and this only makes up a fraction of all cards available in the game. (Usually these cards are overused and overrated as well to make a game easier especially in PvE). So if you're talking about more strategy and challenge, you should be glad to not own these cards.

P.S The game has reduced the RNG as it has introduced many different types of boosters apart from general boosters just a tad bit more expensive. So if you're looking for a specific card you could touch on those boosters that are more nicht.

The problem isn't so much the rate of getting the cards, as it is the fact that current system is dumb, it provides what you (and everyone else) don't need and doesn't provide what you need, I might be wrong, but getting a single (unique) card every day, would probably provide you with complete collection before current set of daily boosters with their RNG can. As for the beloved  limitations, they can easily be self imposed, like playing x with a tutorial deck/community organised memes or whatever you will. Not sure how hard it is to add new cards, but IMO encouraging members to learn 3D modeling and shit for creating new cards and content would be way better than everyone grinding the quests and whatever to get the stuff, only for there to not be any future content and quitting. (pure PVP players probably couldn't give a johnny about this)

Find me a card game that gives you 100% unique cards by opening a booster pack. I think it isn't realistic. Another thing is if we get to complete the card collection so quickly i feel like we lose a little bit of incentive to play the game as we have completed everything. 

With your method of unlocking cards is kind of contradictory to what you see this game to be, (more strategy?) Following your ideology means that only by unlocking more story modes you will have more access to cards. This would mean that you take away a portion of this strategy as you have limited the option to access cards to common/uncommon cards. Thus, i don't believe that we should put a restriction to the card base depending on your story mode.

Forgetting to mention that there are pvp players. So what happens to them?

Edited by KserSke

13 hours ago, Majora said:

Are you aware we are all volunteers who work on this project for no profit in our free time alongside actual jobs and/or studies? There is no need to be this aggressive. We are open to feedback, but if you start throwing around childish insults like this, I wont bother replying to you any longer. 

There cleaned it up a bit, and yes, I'm very well aware, though, that ain't enough of a reason to just avert your eyes and claim all is fine.

Edited by Ca7

16 minutes ago, KserSke said:

If you're tired of RNG i recommend selling your boosters and use the market to buy specific cards that you need. I think the fun and unique part of a card based game is to open boosters and RNG is inevitable. To me, the main problem you seem to lean towards is the toxicity of the market. allow me to make a simple rebuke to this statement. The market is only toxic with a couple of the more expensive cards (Especially Promo cards, they are just duplicates of regular cards which means you don't even need it unless you want the skins) and this only makes up a fraction of all cards available in the game. (Usually these cards are overused and overrated as well to make a game easier especially in PvE). So if you're talking about more strategy and challenge, you should be glad to not own these cards.

Find me a card game that gives you 100% unique cards by opening a booster pack. I think it isn't realistic. Another thing is if we get to complete the card collection so quickly i feel like we lose a little bit of incentive to play the game as we have completed everything. 

With your method of unlocking cards is kind of contradictory to what you see this game to be, (more strategy?) Following your ideology means that only by unlocking more story modes you will have more access to cards. This would mean that you take away a portion of this strategy as you have limited the option to access cards to common/uncommon cards. Thus, i don't believe that we should put a restriction to the card base depending on your story mode.

Forgetting to mention that there are pvp players. So what happens to them?

I know of all these things, and they are not the solution by a mile.

No you, more cards=more options.

Well, not quite sure, but find me an RTS game with cards? Where you have to open boxes and be lucky to get the whatever to . I guess the majority here is a card games fan and not an RTS fan.

Well, in easier maps(the way it used to be, that you'd have to player easier ones first), you can do with lesser cards, with careful playing you can do suprising things with damn few non prominent cards, but you probably won't be beating any leaderboards with that, also, by doing it that way, a new player would have a pretty good time to learn how each card works and all the jazz, if it were this way, the whole story mode would essentially be extended tutorial. Also the whole story is so short, that it might go a bit quick, so to that I've already answered before, you could make just the common/uncommon cards be unlocked with story, although that would still be less than ideal. As for PVPers, again, game is so short, they will live, also they already have the premade PVP decks that are such a brilliant solution in a strategy game.

16 minutes ago, Ca7 said:

Well, not quite sure, but find me an RTS game with cards? Where you have to open boxes and be lucky to get the whatever to . I guess the majority here is a card games fan and not an RTS fan.

I would say i am a fan of both which makes this game so interesting.

You can't just focus on the RTS aspect and neglect the card based aspect. Which is why i asked you to look at any other card based game and see if there are any games that does not involve RNG. And i think the combination of card base + RTS is the unique selling point in this game, the point of this game is not the usual RTS fixed strategy build game. And this combination of card based and RTS game is something I appreciate and most others would say the same as well.

16 minutes ago, Ca7 said:

Well, in easier maps(the way it used to be, that you'd have to player easier ones first), you can do with lesser cards, with careful playing you can do suprising things with damn few non prominent cards, but you probably won't be beating any leaderboards with that, also, by doing it that way, a new player would have a pretty good time to learn how each card works and all the jazz, if it were this way, the whole story mode would essentially be extended tutorial. Also the whole story is so short, that it might go a bit quick, so to that I've already answered before, you could make just the common/uncommon cards be unlocked with story, although that would still be less than ideal. As for PVPers, again, game is so short, they will live, also they already have the premade PVP decks that are such a brilliant solution in a strategy game.

Thats how everyone starts. We only have a limited amount of cards. I myself use what i have when i just started using non prominent cards like you said. And the cards people get from their initial booster could differ as well. This can lead to different people having different experiences and strategies that they will develop overtime which i think is the beauty of the game and not some fixed progression. I feel like by having unlock specific cards in the game through the story progression makes the game rigid and there will be a fixed structure to completing campaign missions in the beginning before unlocking all the cards. 

I think i get the idea of where you're coming from because you compare it to standard RTS games where you collect resources and have a fixed progression (Unlock new units throughout your gameplay) to quickly build your units and attack the enemy. I think you might be comparing between an apple with an orange. Just saying that the subjectivity and possibilities of this game (Deck building and cards) is what makes battleforge special. And removing the market or card side of the game would defeat the purpose and take away the identity of battleforge

Edited by KserSke

Hm, guess that's how it is ha, different experiences would still apply, not everyone understands things the same way, and neither does everyone want the easiest way, I often pick fun decks over what's the best/fastest, other times giving leaderboards a shot is fun too, as I mentioned in another post, we could have a difficulty system or better, simply an option when creating an account, if you're here to play the game, or to collect the cards. It sure is more rigid than rainbow boosters are, although, the card selection in your deck would be much less rigid. Thing is, in that sense, Battleforge is an apple and an orange at the same time, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Ca7 said:

Hm, guess that's how it is ha, different experiences would still apply, not everyone understands things the same way, and neither does everyone want the easiest way, I often pick fun decks over what's the best/fastest, other times giving leaderboards a shot is fun too, as I mentioned in another post, we could have a difficulty system or better, simply an option when creating an account, if you're here to play the game, or to collect the cards. It sure is more rigid than rainbow boosters are, although, the card selection in your deck would be much less rigid. Thing is, in that sense, Battleforge is an apple and an orange at the same time, I guess.

Yes i would agree that having a different feature when you first create your account would be a solution to what you are facing. The only problem is that there might be some work to be done and this project only being on a group of volunteers would make it slightly difficult and they have to pick and choose which update has more priority.

Edited by KserSke

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 9:19 PM, Majora said:

Just leave him be. You guys are awesome and do amazing job! Keep it up

Volin and Majora like this