Memory Caching of game files

NovacX

Hi guys,

viewing my task manager, the game really has many hard drive activities. Further investigating the process shows that it is constantly loading the PAK files of the game. From what I can see in process monitor, it is loading all files sequentially and never stops. While the game is running smooth, it is a pain updating other games while playing battleforge.

As the game is a little bit older, I suppose the dev's wanted to reduce memory usage by not caching the game files in memory. To increase performance I suggest overriding the load mechansim to optionally cache frequently used files in memory.

What do you think of it? In case it is a bug, you can move this thread :D

Regards

NovacX

9 hours ago, Zyna said:

Hey, that's not something we can influence. We don't have the source code to the game. I'll be moving this to rejected.

Hi Zyna,

I don't think it is impossible here. Did some further research and found out that the filesystem calls are all done from pcre3.dll (see attached image), which is an open source library and available here https://www.pcre.org/.

Injecting a pcre3.dll with some monitoring features might lead to some results, where it is loaded and therefore it can be modified in the open source library.

Regards

NovacX

Unbenannt.PNG

11 hours ago, NovacX said:

Hi Zyna,

I don't think it is impossible here. Did some further research and found out that the filesystem calls are all done from pcre3.dll (see attached image), which is an open source library and available here https://www.pcre.org/.

Injecting a pcre3.dll with some monitoring features might lead to some results, where it is loaded and therefore it can be modified in the open source library.

Regards

NovacX

Unbenannt.PNG

Hey, that library is mostly just for Regular Expressions and we already replaced that library to inject our own network code. The code for loading and processing the pak files is in the BattleForge.exe, and as of right now nobody is actively working on reverse engineering it. We do hook one function related to pak files already, but that's mostly for anti-cheat purposes. That's why this feature is not feasible for us to implement as of now.