Getting into Twilight

shroomion

So ..twilight units. I always liked vilebloods and transforming them. The green twilight minions also make sense. Transforming the other stuff was always a bit weird for me. All i think i know so far: So you have minions for 60 power. You transform them into an abomination. They die. You get 54 void and lose 6 power. You pay 165 power for abomination. So far so good. Killing the minions and summoning the abomination via breeding grounds would be the same so far - yes, there is a price for breeding grounds but let us for now ignore it since it can be a one time investment or other players may have it.

So far things seem clear. Now does the Abomination bind 165 power and also gives full 165 power back, or does it bind full 165 Void power but only returns 90% of it when it dies?

I was building a real twilight deck for the first time today and thought i would try a few things. Is it smart to use sunken temple and skycatcher in order to transform the temple pests into skycatchers and abominations? How much power do i save this way or is it a complete waste of time since breeding grounds makes the t4 units cost less in the long run?

Someone told me before that unit abilities and building abilities do give the full power costs as void back. However after some testing in encounters i don't think it is true. Summoning the pests and using skycatcher's ability, would cost me 90 power per pest and since i dont think building- and unit-skills give back full void and still deduct the 10% of the power cost this would simply permanently cost me 9 power so far. The same as summoning a 90 power twilight unit and transforming it into something else (temple costs not included).

So far my opinion would be that transforming units has absolutely no advantage in late game. vileblood and minions being the only exception ..minions turning into a weaker and considerable more costly motivate with more to micro, but which hits all twilight units in a certain range and vileblood simply some silly useless effects for t4.

The only reason to transform units (powerwise) would be to transform them to save some time on void regain and waiting for the construction of a breeding grounds, if you would have anyways killed them off for void. Summoning an abomination without transformation and breeding grounds would also not be the biggest crime since , yes it will bind 25% more power but you also would lose a little bit more total power by transforming it from something even as cheap as twilight minions.

The costs vary a bit..transformin into a twilight creeper for example is even more stupid. IIRC then the transformation costs were 85. That is just a 15% reduction. Now breeding grounds is ahead in any case. Transforming units via the normal twilight transformation does not even give the new unit full hp if the old one was wounded i think.

Can some twilight expert educate me please? Why did they make such a cool feature and then turn it into something very close to completely useless? Is this a PvP thing, since you can get suprized by the twilight guy when he transforms into somethng you did not expect, or what is the point why we havent buffed this stuff yet?

Edited by shroomion

The only real reason to use transformation is to upgrade old units into better ones. Also if you lack t4 charges having a train of hags for example following your t4 force you can use them to transform at a breeding grounds discount on the move as charges come in.

One thing to note you need the full normal powercost to breeding ground a unit but with transformation you get it much earlier as you only need the discounted cost upfront. So if you have old units you may as well use them to get smashing earlier.

Beware the transformation bug as if a unit gets knocked back while transforming it will permanently lock the unit you were turning into preventing you from ever using it again that match. Real shitty to lose the ability to summon abominations.

Edited by Torban

Just like the others entioned; the transformation is not really worth it

So far things seem clear. Now does the Abomination bind 165 power and also gives full 165 power back, or does it bind full 165 Void power but only returns 90% of it when it dies?

I was building a real twilight deck for the first time today and thought i would try a few things. Is it smart to use sunken temple and skycatcher in order to transform the temple pests into skycatchers and abominations? How much power do i save this way or is it a complete waste of time since breeding grounds makes the t4 units cost less in the long run?

The only reason for transformation is just as a breeding grounds alternative with lower initial power cost (90% of the original unit's power flows into the void and the transformed unit e.g. abomination would only bind 165 power instead of 220, would then return 90% of the 165 into void). For your t4 either transform your creepers or just use a breeding ground, sunken temple is not worth it as transforming uses charges.

So far my opinion would be that transforming units has absolutely no advantage in late game. vileblood and minions being the only exception ..minions turning into a weaker and considerable more costly motivate with more to micro, but which hits all twilight units in a certain range and vileblood simply some silly useless effects for t4.

Beware, when transforming they will stay at the same percentage of health, meaning transforming e.g. your minions (for damage boost) into vileblood will make the unit start out with less health. Instead of transforming just use spells, they are just better (e.g. Lava Field for T2, Thunderstorm for T3).

In conclusion, the transformation is just a lackluster feature from the original devs, its only efficient use is as a breeding grounds substitute (tranformations will most likely be rebalanced in the future)

2 hours ago, Timer said:

Just like the others entioned; the transformation is not really worth it

The only reason for transformation is just as a breeding grounds alternative with lower initial power cost (90% of the original unit's power flows into the void and the transformed unit e.g. abomination would only bind 165 power instead of 220, would then return 90% of the 165 into void). For your t4 either transform your creepers or just use a breeding ground, sunken temple is not worth it as transforming uses charges.

Beware, when transforming they will stay at the same percentage of health, meaning transforming e.g. your minions (for damage boost) into vileblood will make the unit start out with less health. Instead of transforming just use spells, they are just better (e.g. Lava Field for T2, Thunderstorm for T3).

In conclusion, the transformation is just a lackluster feature from the original devs, its only efficient use is as a breeding grounds substitute (tranformations will most likely be rebalanced in the future)

i hope the feature will be built upon and not get erased for simplicity's sake or something. it is a cool and fitting idea for twilight..