Mouse cursor targeting bug

Ypulse

DESCRIPTION: There is a strange targeting issue with hitboxes of units, structures and terrain. Its very old bug, it was present in old BF as well.

Basicly i click on plain terrain, but the game system see a unit or structure behind my cursor and attacks the unit instead of moving.

REPRODUCIBILITY: Random, but happens often.

I can confirm this phenomenon.

DESCRIPTION: There are two instances that I am aware of when this is happening. Multi-unit squads (like windweavers or Forsaken), if knocked down, will scatter. If this happens, their hitbox spreads and widens. This means the hitbox spreads <for the entire unit> as one radius, and is NOT recognized as <6 separate entities> with individual hitboxes. Instead, if knocked down numerous times over and over - they may be knocked so far away from each other thay they may in fact block an entire area from being moved to (because every single pixel is considered their spread hitbox - and is registered as an attack command).

HOW TO TEST: Best tested with Lost Spirit Ships against a different player - and make the other player force his 6-unit squads "ON HOLD", so they don't attack or move. Then attack these squads with LSS.

I would add that if this knock-down spread happens wide enough, the entities stop taking any damage. You may sometimes see how 8 ships are firing a cannonade on a squad of bandits for 2 minutes, unable to kill them.

I am not informed about the damage issue in detail, but I hope I helped explain the hitbox targeting/moving issue.

Edited by Lord Trajic

I'm pretty sure this is the bug:

You can see that I sometimes click on an empty space but because the individual members of the S units are spreaded all over the place, the game things that I want to attack them instead.

It can get even more extreme than shown in the video. This is a very annoying bug if you play with knockback heavy armies against S units.

But as far as I know this bug is related to the dmg bug also mentioned here, which is not fixable if I remember correctly.

There are a couple things I have found to cause that. In the case of that video it is a squad of S units being knocked apart. Clicking between these units still targets the squad.

The more common and frustrating one I've encountered is when one of the units you have selected is being mind controlled (by a twilight mindweaver) In that case you always get the attack icon when controlling the entire group. Removing the mind controlled unit from your selection resolves this.

11 hours ago, mtmt said:

There are a couple things I have found to cause that. In the case of that video it is a squad of S units being knocked apart. Clicking between these units still targets the squad.

The more common and frustrating one I've encountered is when one of the units you have selected is being mind controlled (by a twilight mindweaver) In that case you always get the attack icon when controlling the entire group. Removing the mind controlled unit from your selection resolves this.

Oh right. Forgot about that situation. But tbh I find that a pretty cool situation because if feels a bit like the Twilight enemies manages to mind control you as the player so that no matter where you click, you will always attack the same unit :D

On 2/7/2021 at 8:15 AM, mtmt said:

Something similar/related occures when trying to attack units under the affect of Frenetic Assault. The cursor behavior is pretty weird. Didn't hut down bugs as if now.