Automatic activation button/toggle for Shrine of War when it's ready to use

Rankerz

So usually there are 2 SoW built which lets you permanently activate the ability as like a passive bonus

The only thing is, you have to click on it every 30 seconds even in the middle of the fight

It is even more harder to notice when for example Wheel of Gifts are active, and the global icon is not showing

I think this method is really outdated and would not change much about the card usage

Let me know your thoughts on this

Edited by Rankerz

So what is your suggestion?

1. An automatic macro which activates the SoW for you? 

My thought on this: No. 

Battleforge is a RTS and not a simulation. You want an effect? Activate it manually. 

2. A permanent effect of SoW, then you're talking about a balance change.

My thoughts on this: There are only few permanent active global buffs and making SoW (a very powerfull global effect) permanent is bold. There would be concequences for the activation cost, power & orb requirement and innitial cooldown. At that point it would basically be a new card, which is fine to propose. 

42 minutes ago, Rankerz said:

So usually there are 2 SoW built which lets you permanently activate the ability as like a passive bonus

The only thing is, you have to click on it every 30 seconds even in the middle of the fight

It is even more harder to notice when for example Wheel of Gifts are active, and the global icon is not showing

I think this method is really outdated and would not change much about the card usage

If you add it to a group (for example, group 1 and 2) and you know your primary hotkey (z in my case but it might be x for some?), you can activate it very easily with just hotkeys. Just press 1-z-2-z every 30 seconds and that's it. You don't even need to move your mouse or remember which SoW is active; all you have to do is to remember to push those 4 buttons (I usually push them every 15-20 secs to be sure).

Yeah it could be easier by making it a global, always-active effect, but imo it's already easy enough and extremely powerful. Many people want to nerf this card, so I suspect that if SoW did get a QoL buff, this would be paired with other nerfs.

Metagross31 and Dallarian like this

• 2 weeks later...

Make its cost 300 and have it perma on. Make Shrine of memory 200 and perma-on. Shrine of martyr, fountain of rebirth? Same deal! >:) More time to micro other and most imortantly MORE FUN stuff..why all this stress with the clicking and so on? Do you really enjoy this? I do bind stuff to my hotkeys and sometimes i drop cards which would otherwise fit perfectly into my deck just because i dont want to handle all the damn clicking and there are some buildings which you always want to have turned on anyways..while for example for frontier keep with it's hefty price and all it totally makes sense to make it a thing you need to hotkey and use at exact the right time...however those things you want always activated are just mindless occupational therapy cards to stress people out.

Hin hindsight SOW is comparbly so powerful to the other void regen shrines, i would make it 350 or so...that way it is not be best choice in almost every situation involving 1 fire orb anymore and make the other shrines or void regen strats (cultist master etc) more valuable in comparison again. + versatility

Edited by shroomion

I am not a great PVP guy so i guess in pvp you want all the stress and want to be able to turn a battle with a few uses of SOM..but it would be a bigger-risk-bigger-reward-scenario. Do people even play the more expensive SOW in pvp? You could also keep the old costs but half the effects. Make it perma. And if someone wants to be the void regainmaster then he has to play a combination of two shrines lol

3 minutes ago, Volin said:

Disagree - void return is already pure meta, it shouldnt get a click easier

Why not nerv it's effect/powercosts and make it perma? Gain of versatility and gain of quality of life. Win win for all ithout making it more op. Talking about SOW SOM(memory and martyrs)

On 1/21/2021 at 11:59 AM, Rankerz said:

Not required - i agree with the posts that the community already posted in this direction.

So this thread is also a bit typical. Everyone who has mastered the skill would like to keep the way it is. Why else did you put the effort in to learn it and use even in tough fights.

So for me too, I am able to press it regularly every 30s even in tough fights. And I think it is kind of need, this way. You see a difference when playing with people who havent played that much, and then you cannot depend on the sow as much, maybe you even build your own ones. Some people rage if it wont get pressed regularly, for me it also good in a way cause when you keep 100 energy additionally left over you are usually fine if the person presses it about 15s late. Sometimes the Shrine of war is really sick, and wont see it for minutes, then its better to build your own one. Personally this makes the game more fun for me.

Edit: So i believe too it should stay the way it is. It is satisfing to play with someone who mastered the sow pressing. It gives this way an edge to the person who build them, cause he/she will always have the sow ready when he needs them. And it would be a bit strong if it would mean a perfect void return for everyone with no twists attached.

Edited by Buddelmuddel

4 hours ago, Buddelmuddel said:

So this thread is also a bit typical. Everyone who has mastered the skill would like to keep the way it is. Why else did you put the effort in to learn it and use even in tough fights.

So for me too, I am able to press it regularly every 30s even in tough fights. And I think it is kind of need, this way. You see a difference when playing with people who havent played that much, and then you cannot depend on the sow as much, maybe you even build your own ones. Some people rage if it wont get pressed regularly, for me it also good in a way cause when you keep 100 energy additionally left over you are usually fine if the person presses it about 15s late. Sometimes the Shrine of war is really sick, and wont see it for minutes, then its better to build your own one. Personally this makes the game more fun for me.

I am also used to cycling through them but i can imagine a better world where i dont have to do this stuff and add more fun and satisfying "skills" tbh. For example: Infernal machine after matter mastery in the center of the enemy camp? That is one satisfying button to press sometimes ^^ It is an interesting point you are touching there though. People who learned certain habits often do think they will loose something if they do not have this particular edge over others anymore. However i am not sure if this is a healthy standpoint in this case. Your void return and invested power will be the same as if you press those 4 buttons perfectly , just now you don't have to anymore and now you can get your edge(be number 1 or whatever) by pressing those 4 buttons for some other micro stuff which might even require more skill and timing and yield a more satisfying result if pulled off correctly. So i say: Why not?

If it was interesting macro, or any kind of choice was involved (ex. do I spend 100 power to activate the global), then it'd be worth the macro. Meaningful macro/micro adds to the game positively, giving you more to do and more opportunities to git gud.

As is, it's just pointless busywork. 2 Shrines and you just have permanent uptime, there's no choice, nothing interesting about it, no meaningful decisions to make about when to activate it.

It's not a big deal, control groups let me keep my Shrine of Memory or Cultist Masters or whatever up if no one else is doing void manipulation, but some kinda autocast toggle, or doubling the cost but making them work like Wheel of Gifts in terms of just being something you 'turn on' after building, would be a nice QoL change.

shroomion likes this

Allowing the seleciton of multiple buildings in some way, so that you can group them -> Yeah, sounds neat and not game breaking.
I'm pretty sure the fact that you can only group one building was not a deliberate choice, but a simple oversight by the devs.
Maybe due to the way they handled how units get selection priority over buildings -> resulted in only one building being able to selected -> resulted in grouping being impossible.

Adding new abilities/costs for easier use ... -> What?

"I'm to lazy to micromanage in a game about micromanaging, could you please change the game for my convenience?" -> No.

So, as it stands, 30 seconds active, 30 seconds downtime. Build two.

Hotkey them to 3/4 (or control groups of choice). Every 30s, hit 3/4, and Z. Rinse and repeat. That's the gameplay.

Not very engaging, is it?

Changing it to a permanent buff wouldn't be that bad. Might need rebalancing if that happens though. Two fire orbs? 250 power cost (since you'd only need one)? Nerfed refund%?

The global buff icons in the top left being hidden when other global buffs, such as Wheels, are active is a separate issue. Some sort of priority for temporary buffs to supersede permanent ones?

It's a part of micro management. They are powerful effects that already enjoy a lot of use. They don't need a buff like that. At all.

In fact, I would argue that it is already too powerful that you are able to build two in order to completely circumvent the cooldown. This eliminates decision making about when to activate these extremely potent effects because you can just have them permanently. Otherwise you would AT LEAST have to wait for a decent amount of void to accumulate. And people would have to relay to the SoW user when they need a boost. But currently, on rPvE where enemies are dying at all times, it effectively eliminates the void mechanic from the game.

Suggesting that it simply runs permanently shows one got too used to an extremely strong effect and is now even too comfortable to do anything for it.

Edited by Cocofang
Metagross31 likes this

I feel like this is such a non-issue, and that there are other cards that need more attention.

The main mechanic behind the shrines is multi-tasking, since they don't inherently do anything by themselves. I find it very engaging (yes, I am very practiced in it), and I never thought of it as boring or grueling.

Also, shouldn't the argument be that all the shrines be changed in the same way then? Healing gardens is very similar in that you almost always want it to be permanently on in rPvE, especially with Wheel of Gifts regen on.

Metagross31 likes this