Frequent disconnects while playing

Paulson79

I am big fan of this franchise since it has been released. I was playing a lot when it was still officially supported and I was extremely excited when you guys announced that the project will be revived.

However your choice of server (or perhaps lack of communication with community and financial support to provide something decent) makes game in its current state almost completely unplayable. The number of issues server has goes into dozens per session and it is almost a miracle to finish single player map without getting disconnected. With multiplayer maps, usually a player getting disconnected means that there will not be enough time and/or units to beat the challenge (specially on higher difficulty). So as much as I am pissed because of current state of technical side of this project ( imo it should be officially launched, cause this infrastructure sucks and cant be considered stable at all) I am still very enthusiastic with it. And certainly I am willing to financially support it ( I believe that I am not the only one as I noticed on patreon page) but as long as your choice of server will remain unchanged, giving you money (at least from my perspective) for current infrastructure is pointless. 
However there is always something one can to to make things better. So I would like to ask your development team to open a funding campaign specifically for server purpose.

Bring  into it these specifications:
- Bandwidth and maximum  number of players allowed to be connected at the same time,

- gateways for players from other continents (not all are from Germany or France so something could be and should be done here)

- required monthly fee (per option I would say, so that we could see for what we are paying).

Again, I am more than willing to add my money into financing your project, but it's current state is completely unplayable (well maybe not completely but one can't say that it's stable, that would be straight out lie).

I will be looking forward to your reply!

P.S. Best option would be high limit of simultaneous connections so that players don't get kick out when someone logs into the game.

skydeath likes this

Apart from 2 major DC days (which will be compensated by promise), I did not encounter any further DC yet playing almost all day every day

Its a bit over the top to say the game is unplayable

Also the Devs seem to do everything in there power asap even on a weekend day to make the servers stable, so can we really complain here ?

fiki574, Dallarian and Metagross31 like this

I think you are overexaggerating by a lot. The game is far from "unplayable". From the end of the open beta up to now I also had ~2 DC's. I agree, that, obviously, better hardware is always better and will be needed once the playercount increases fruther, but right now I do not really see a problem yet.
Did you make sure it is not your connection, that is causing the problems?

well yes, the server could be better but for how many people play and this being a fan project it runs pretty good. yes DCs are annoying, as are freezes. especialyl after a long mission finally draws to its end and boom. but saying the servers are trash might be an overstatement.

Besides, everyone can always add to their patreon to help out so there is already a way to do something about it.

5 hours ago, Paulson79 said:

...but it's current state is completely unplayable (well maybe not completely but one can't say that it's stable, that would be straight out lie).

I did not see a single comment/post/thread similar to yours that states that the game is remotely unplayable, let alone completely.

Even other players tell and prove otherwise, so the only straight out lie here is the one claiming that the state is completely unplayable.

I will not even address other stuff as you fail to realize differences between hardware and software impacts/problems. Hardware as a whole is pretty beasty, however the software is not so much, which you you would expect from a server that was reverse engineered using client binaries, but then again I don't expect that to be understood too.

Sekij likes this

Yeah, for some reason I expected a bit of professionalism here. I am not connecting from Austria or Germany. I experience disconnections few time a day, it seams to be directly connected to the total number of players currently logged in. There are times that I can play, but there is no single day without disconnection from server for me. That is first. Why would I lie about such thing?
Second, I genuinely want to support your project, but if you would be in my shoes, having constant connection problems and dropping of the game without a chance to reconnect and finish the instance you wouldn't as well. I am sure of that. 
I am trying to open a financing project that will be server relating only, so that people like me, who cant play this game on a stable level, could do something to improve poor experience that they currently have. 
Arrogantly making comments regarding my intellectual capabilities doesn't make me feel bad, it's your personal opinion about me (although completely wrong). And probably I would understand. Regardless of that, I see people in chat asking about dcs every day (but again this is probably me "making up things", right?). Myself I had few just today and another player was disconnected when we were trying to play together.

Your server is not working fine. At least not for players like me who aren't residing in Germany or Austria. 

P.S. Never in my entire life I received this kind of rude response to my will of financial participation/help in a project. Good job!

P.P.S. I have no issues with internet. I am playing League of Legends daily on an average ping 20-30.

Edited by Paulson79
missing content

26 minutes ago, Paulson79 said:

Yeah, for some reason I expected a bit of professionalism here. I am not connecting from Austria or Germany. I experience disconnections few time a day, it seams to be directly connected to the total number of players currently logged in. There are times that I can play, but there is no single day without disconnection from server for me. That is first. Why would I lie about such thing?
Second, I genuinely want to support your project, but if you would be in my shoes, having constant connection problems and dropping of the game without a chance to reconnect and finish the instance you wouldn't as well. I am sure of that. 
I am trying to open a financing project that will be server relating only, so that people like me, who cant play this game on a stable level, could do something to improve poor experience that they currently have. 
Arrogantly making comments regarding my intellectual capabilities doesn't make me feel bad, it's your personal opinion about me (although completely wrong). And probably I would understand. Regardless of that, I see people in chat asking about dcs every day (but again this is probably me "making up things", right?). Myself I had few just today and another player was disconnected when we were trying to play together.

Your server is not working fine. At least not for players like me who aren't residing in Germany or Austria. 

P.S. Never in my entire life I received this kind of rude response to my will of financial participation/help in a project. Good job!

P.P.S. I have no issues with internet. I am playing League of Legends daily on an average ping 20-30.

no one said you made up disconnects, but calling the game "uplayable" is defenitely an overstatement at best. yes I had some dcs as well, but most of my games I can play with no issue, and when I see  people complain about dcs its usually a wave because it happened at that moment and not all the time. that kicked out alot of people or had their games frozen. This is of course a problem and needs to be fixed. But it does not happen often neough to warrant "unplayable"

51 minutes ago, Paulson79 said:

Alright, let's clear things up a bit. First of all, you're making assumptions in your entire post, I'm not even sure on what you're basing those, but most of them are entirely wrong, the fact that you're calling our servers 'trash' when most of our playerbase is currently having no issue whatsoever, isn't the correct way to tell things I'd say. You're having issues? That's totally fine and we're open enough to collect everyone's feedback, logs, and comments of your game experience with our services, but you need to do it the correct way. As far as I can see you've never sent us any messages or logs on the issues you've been facing. We've had in the last few days some issues with our servers, which we've been monitoring and fixing over the days, we're keeping everyone informed over our Discord.

Now, let's talk about the rest of your message, as fiki mentioned, our hardware is absolutely fine, we're not even using half of its current capabilities, so this is out of the equation, what could be involved in your crashes is a software related issue, could be related to our proxy/launcher, could be related to our server code, but we're not magicians, if you don't send us logs, your problems won't be solved easily, or fast.

I'm not sure where you're from and what's the ping you're currently experiencing, but having multiple game servers to host games spread over the entire globe, won't be a viable solution for us, we have very limited funds, and even tho we're getting more and more patrons everyday since release, we're being really cautious with how we spend that money, but the survival of this entire project depends on it. Also this may not solve any issue you're facing at all, Battleforge is a very old game from 2009 and you have to remember this, we didn't make this game and its logic, there's not such thing as reconnection system within the game, so the small instability from your connection, can lead to instant disconnect, it could be related to your internet provider, jitter, ping, packet loss.. Anyway, having different games server around the globe might help with ping related issues, if they're even related to these disconnects you're having, and that we currently can't confirm it is.

But again, calling our servers (and implying many things with it) trash, sucks, are pointless etc.. etc.. isn't the right way to proceed. You have the right to be mad at something, but try to not make false assumptions and direspect this team's work, which we've been doing for free, on our freetime, for over 5 years now, especially when you have no clue how our infrastructure, code or hardware, looks like.

And last but not the least, no, we don't have any player limit on the server, and we're not kicking players randomly when that non-existing limit is reached, I have no idea why you'd think we would do that in the first place.

Ultrakool, Eirias, Bkingn and 3 others like this

I dont want to interfere in ur discussion but I also had server issues at saturday evening. The ingame chat was raging about it. At this time it was definetly unplayable But usually I dont have any disconnects. (To be honest: I am playing this game since less than a week). I thought it was because of higher amount of users, saturday evening etc. So it was fine for me to play another game.

Fyi

I tryed to play at saturday between 10:00 pm and 1:00 am. Tryed to connect from germany.

Regards

3 hours ago, Twizz0221 said:

I dont want to interfere in ur discussion but I also had server issues at saturday evening. The ingame chat was raging about it. At this time it was definetly unplayable But usually I dont have any disconnects. (To be honest: I am playing this game since less than a week). I thought it was because of higher amount of users, saturday evening etc. So it was fine for me to play another game.

Fyi

I tryed to play at saturday between 10:00 pm and 1:00 am. Tryed to connect from germany.

Regards

Yes, these are the disconnects (the entire server went down) we had in the past few days, which we were investigating and solving. There hasn't been another crash like this yet, we're still looking into these (so it's not really a disconnect issue, more of a server crash problem, which we're still investigating)

Rude player comes in, calls all the dev's hard work trash, gets mad when people don't take him seriously.  Calls them rude.  Classic!  I assume by the tone of your post, you learned to speak English in League of Legends?  lol

I haven't had any disconnect issues.    I'm not in Germany. 

If other people were having disconnect issues, then it would be something to address.   But you seem a bit alone on this. 

Edited by KhaorvaK
fiki574 likes this

9 hours ago, Paulson79 said:

PS: People like you with frequent disconnects often can fix their issues by playing with a VPN :rolleyes: I'l be moving this back to Tech-Support, since this is quite evidently not a common issue.

• Zyna changed the title to Frequent disconnects while playing
  • 3 weeks later...

Might as well jump into this thread too.

I'm connecting from Germany (guess the server is somewhere around Europe?) and usually I am able to play without any issues. The Game has been running fine, been playing about 3-4 weeks now. But today was different, I experienced several disconnects (About 8), no matter if Ingame (just starting or in the middle of the game) or just in the lobby over a time of 3-4 hours. 

Its kind of frustrating, because my internet connection was stable the whole time.

Just wanted to bring this back up, because I see some issues, but I agree with the devs that the game is still playable. Guess that on evenings too many players are around (?).

I tried the VPN approach and it's still the same. However, I tried an unusual solution and it never happened again (Coincidence? Ill test again if I have time).

I have 2 NIC cards - 1 Intel and 1 Realtek - I tried disabling my primary which is Intel (primary because the metric is set to 0, thus always a priority), and no more disconnects.

I can re-verify be enabling Intel again as my primary NIC to see if I will get DCed again - will do this after work and will provide feedback.

• 1 month later...