Growing community. Growing diversity. Growing language barrier. Growing Concern.

Fabry

2 hours ago, Mighty_Rathalos said:

this game is a 10 year old reverse engineered game [..]

[citation needed]

for real tho: afaik, they actually have the source code from EA (although this isn't explicitly stated, I just hope they didn't had to RE that thing)

anyway, is there any correlation between the ability to implement any language based feature for the chat and the access to the source code or the time available for this project ? The thing about EvE was not about how they are able to do it, but how they did it and how this might be a valid solution for the skylords community.

imho this is not a problem that has to be solved on a technical level, but rather a community one: Do we, as a community, want language specific chats? Do we allow/accept German in general-topic chats (e.g. beginner)? Then we can talk about the best way to actually implement this community rule

8 minutes ago, Lordakius said:

[citation needed]

for real tho: afaik, they actually have the source code from EA (although this isn't explicitly stated, I just hope they didn't had to RE that thing)

anyway, is there any correlation between the ability to implement any language based feature for the chat and the access to the source code or the time available for this project ?

We have actually explicitly stated that we don't have access to the source code and we had to RE that thing. 

As far as I know, there is a correlation, because the chat structure was made by EA, we just built the server to send the correct packets to "activate" the chat channels, we can't actually edit or create new channels.(might be wrong though)

yikes, sounds annoying. I checked a few posts to make sure I wasn't talking bs, but I must have missed it (probably ain't so interesting for most ppl).

I mean you certainly could also RE the chat system and do some shenanigans there, but I doubt it would be worth it. Thanks for the info tho!

so we should find a solution that does not rely heavily on technical changes to the underlying system then. If opinions are asked here, I would prefer full English in general chats, the same as in the forum.

well the difference between having the source code or not especially for old games usually means the difference between

"knowing what functions or sections need to communiciate and make sure they do probably" and "changing the way they communicate and/or add new forms of how they do it"

and yes, the "do we as a community want it" is technically what this topic is about. many people want it, many others dont, Both sides have their valuable arguments for their case and both cause problems to some degree. There will not be a perfect solution, the question is just which one is better.

Edited by Mighty_Rathalos

Ya its not as important i think. But i just think people wont stop typing in non eng. Languages. 

Its also to early to talk about that stuff. In 3 Months Skylords might have only 300 active player daily and most of them beeing english.

I'm also a German Player (think it's even stated in my Profile) and i agree with what most other players from Germany said before: I use English for more or less everything, but anwser Questions in German if they are asked in German.

From what i read up to here it seems, that changing the ingame chat window is either something that will not come soon or otherwise never, since its a lot of work and not a priority right now (sadly an issue for a lot of things but dev's Doing their best and i'm just super grateful for that).

So i propose thinking about starting with an easier achieveable solution like a German Discrod channel in which beginner Questions and Discussions can be hold in German. Optimaly there would be some experienced German player regulary checking there to awnser Questions.  With this you can request those Players to direct their Questions into the German beginner Discord channel if they want to ask in German, but use English in the ingame chats until a better solution is found.

Of course it now depends on the goodwill of the players to actually comply with that request, but here you can just hope for the best like always. At least you have somewhere to direct those Players.

Edited by Fushur

Everyone should speak English on most channel, and whatever language in Group / Team / Whisper.
That's sad that German people don't do that, and are kinda ruining the experience for the rest of the world by filling the chat with uncomprehensible messages or even questions (questions that keeps them speaking German).
I assume it won't be fixed, where a simple RULE will fix that for everybody.

As there comes no reaction from a certain side I just had to found myself a solution for this problem:

grafik.png.3b5398ad70db55e006939d52557c5abd.png

Sad but true - but if I don't fade out my compatriots, then the moronic permanent babble is not bearable for me.

Ofc there is no simple solution for this divided comunity problem (and it is already divided, and it gets deeper every day) - but perhaps even a statement from the officials would be nice.

But I am done with this topic, tell me if it gets perhaps better one day and I can return...