Backward booster generator

Ladorre

While reading this thread by diagonal (https://forum.skylords.eu/index.php?/topic/6899-the-economy-for-those-who-have-plenty-of-time-at-hands/), I see that no one mentioned a way to:

1) sink low-meaning cards;

2) boost the price of low-meaning cards;

3)  decrease the price of high-tier cards;

4) optional -> have a stable way to use gold at the end-game.

The way to do all that is simple - loot box :) Reverse booster. Card transmutator. 

Call it whatever you like, but have a 10 any lvl cards, add some gold - and you will receive booster you like.

By measuring the color and number of cards used you can generate the booster you want.

ShadowXY, Dallarian and RayG like this

I actually like this idea a lot. I have seen it in a few games been implemented and was a lot of fun. There it was more of a roulette where you put a bunch of stuff you wouldnt need/use and boom -> generates something new. Twist was that you could get either something crappy like 65% of the time, something fair 30% and something really dope like 5%.

And i was just thinking yesterday that gold is just useless for me when ill finish upgrading my deck. But the idea you put forth that actually gives base to the 'low' cards that no one bothers to even buy for 3bfp at AH as well, i can fully support.

And i would add that there is no reason to flat out give a booster for lets say x amount of cards and a gold fee inserted to the "grinder machine". I would put percentages in. Just randomly lets take the ones i put above that would give a booster, 2 boosters or 1 booster and an uncommon and lastly 3 boosters or a booster and a rare. And why not have a 1% to get a promo as well. 

Its just the mentality of chance. No wonder AAA games and so many others utilised the loot box system that made them billions in cash. For the same reason people open boosters here, we love randomly getting stuff with the chance of an extreme award. You would see people appreciating a lot more stuff that are simply ignored now. 'Oh you got 35 twillight minions sitting there?. Well why dont you try your luck and make use of them in the grinder and maybe they give you something crazy.'

And i would add maybe buying boosters with gold. Make it stand alone currency and not only a fee in something else. But in order not to flux the game with boosters it would have to be a bit pricy lets say 50k gold a single booster. 

This is not for new players, i think of it as a way for people who got over everything and simply get gold by playing and having nothing to do it, now having a possibility to spend it somewhere.

2 minutes ago, RayG said:

For the same reason people open boosters here, we love randomly getting stuff with the chance of an extreme award. 

Exactly! It is used everywhere, from Borderlands to World of Tank (actually, the idea comes right after what WG is doing each year for New Year holidays).

Basicly, the random generator is made for the revenue of the game holder :) But, as this is non-commercial project, the rates of what to put it, and what to take out could be tuned without any problems.

I just have a kindest wish that there will be not "35 minions and 50 000G for one booster", but "5-8 cards and 10 000G". The ability to earn could be limited by number of uses, not with the amounts to put in. 

4 hours ago, RayG said:

And i would add maybe buying boosters with gold. Make it stand alone currency and not only a fee in something else. But in order not to flux the game with boosters it would have to be a bit pricy lets say 50k gold a single booster.

While I do think some sort of gold-sink would be nice eventually, I don't like this. Even 50k for a single booster would mean speedrunning generates a booster every 10 minutes on average. That is insane.

Even if you double it, an additional booster would be added to the total pool of cards in the game every 20 minutes. Still crazy. And at this price point people would either only speedrun like crazy for it or be outraged about the unobtainable cost.

It also does not consider people that focus on only a few cards. Say someone plays and cares for only 50 cards. He would stop needing gold like ten times sooner than someone that likes to diversify and upgrades most of them. And with nothing else to do such a player would dump his gold on boosters to fuel charge upgrades.

But I do like the idea of raising the value-floor while simultaneously lowering the value-ceiling for cards by giving them all some inherent value and use. It would also help taking cards OUT of the game again, which is currently impossible, aside from naturally quitting players.

2 hours ago, Cocofang said:

speedrunning generates a booster every 10 minutes on average

Only if the person have the charge to use the generator, I've mentioned that especially to limit this scheme.

2 hours ago, Cocofang said:

It also does not consider people that focus on only a few cards. Say someone plays and cares for only 50 cards. He would stop needing gold like ten times sooner than someone that likes to diversify and upgrades most of them. And with nothing else to do such a player would dump his gold on boosters to fuel charge upgrades.

.......It would also help taking cards OUT of the game again, which is currently impossible, aside from naturally quitting players.

Actually, if a person needs only 1/10 of all cards, fine. Sooner he got them, sooner he will decide either to go to the PvP or not. In PvP he will definetely need more cards :)

But, such scheme actually makes players play much more, as even the Lords of the PvE, taking solo any map on Extreme would need more gold to gamble more :)

As I see it, the issue is actually the profit level of median booster in BFP (<0, 0, >0), which requieres really precise analysis on market, BFP income and price fluctuations. Still, as the wipe had happened recently, I believe the ability to use this generator ~3 times per week would not harm anything, both from market and economy perspective as well as our gaming experience.

Adding: in matter of gold you can make the gold part progressive during the period of charges renewal: first in a week 5k, then 10k, 25k, 50k... :) More grinding for the God of Gringing!

Edited by Ladorre

Another thing you aren't taking into account is the extremely powerful FOMO. Say it's implemented, then just the fact that you CAN buy three additional boosters with gold and trash cards per week would make people feel both incentivized to grind for gold, which could become an off-putting, mind numbing grind for people that they still feel like they have to do to get the most tangible benefit, and it would feel bad for the people that can't do that in the first place because they are leaving boosters on the table that others can get.

That's something you have to be careful with. The balance between making it feel like an okay-ish gold sink but also making it just bad enough so it's merely a last resort if you have nothing else to do with your gold is important.

Another way to do a "booster for gold" system is to create an exponential cost function based on the number of times said booster is purchased; this means that it'd provide some value to those with millions in gold but it'd be foolish to rush boosters this way.