Advertising the Game

macabi

It's a fan project. Non-profit. No contract. Allowed by the verbal go-ahead of EA because they obviously don't care for the IP. But they still own it.

Don't know what kind of advertisement, aside from word-to-mouth, is even possible with an IP that you don't own. Or if anyone should be willing to take the risk to find out.

If you Google for "Skylords Reborn" and set the time filter to "Last week" or "Last month", you'll be able to see that quite some number of gaming mags and websites picked up the news already. 

However, there might be another form of "advertising" (or rather attracting interests into the game) planned, more on which would know either Zyna or Lada.

Ultrakool likes this

The best advertisment you can imagine is YouTube and Twitch browsing. E.G. I can't find plenty of NON-speedrun walkthrough at Youtube.

Card explanation, Maps explanation - there is not that much of it there. If anyone wants to promote the game - they can make and upload videos.

Likely our biggest and only form of advertisement for now will be contacting youtubers, magazines, streamers etc. to write or talk about our project, or even better to play and share that experience with others. The open stress phase was very useful to fix prominent bugs, but now we need to also first make sure our servers still work properly when there are many more players online. Since release me and zyna have already fixed a couple of issues that were not easily detectable with lower player base. The servers are handling it very well and release could almost not have gone better, but we just want to make sure that any possible issues due to the increase in players are fixed first before we start actively advertising using the previously mentioned methods.

RuneSeeker and Drakeslayer like this

In the past several months I have sent messages via Twitter as well as emailing more than 10 PC Gamer Magazine writers asking them to review Skylords or at least write something about it.

So far I got two responses from @JonBolds and @AsaTj who both expressed interest.

However, neither one of  them wrote about the game as of yet.

Perhaps the developers and other fans could join my ongoing effort.

I still feel there are not enough players in PvP mode.

Often there are no games to be found in PvP and more than often there are only expert players in PvP.

It may be a good idea to increase the Gold reward in PvP to encourage players to play it more.

I've been kind of wondering about this myself.    This effort is different in that it's re-launching an already-complete product, and will be facing different challenges than other games. I don't know if there will be additional content added, but I'm wondering about the longevity of this thing.  It seems like the game is mid-boost due to nostalgia and people realizing it's now live (like me),  and I imagine people will sort of drift off.  player-base attrition could be a lot worse for this game than a standard game.  I'm wondering what actions can be taken to continue to grow the player base.  If nothing else, to counter the constant atrophy I'm expecting.

Linvega and hall9000 like this

On going advertisement is the solution to keep the game alive.

There are many RTS gamers out there who never heard about Battleforge or Skylords.

The test beta started in 2018 and I only heard about it in January 2020 after watching a YouTube video about upcoming strategy games in 2020.

Skylords was at the end of the video.

I am a big RTS fan since 2001 and I always follow the news about upcoming RTS games and Skylords escaped me for full 2 years.

The game needs more exposure.

So developers and fans, please email/twit gaming writers and asked them to cover Skylords. 

Good news on this topic: One of the biggest Gaming/LetsPlay Channels in Germany posted a Video about Skylords as he played the original. Its on his 2nd channel where videos usually get from 100 - 300 k views.

https://youtu.be/_9d3q93Vob0

Nice advertisement. Maybe more LetsPlayers who played the original will also pick up on the project.

gemeiner Lauch likes this

1 hour ago, Garry349 said:

Good news on this topic: One of the biggest Gaming/LetsPlay Channels in Germany posted a Video about Skylords as he played the original. Its on his 2nd channel where videos usually get from 100 - 300 k views.

Nice advertisement. Maybe more LetsPlayers who played the original will also pick up on the project.

Came here to post this hehe, handofblood should bring some players to this game with the video (or videos if he does more)

Im not sure if it is good for Battleforge to become popular, lets say more and more people start playing it and everyone is talking about it.

Then EA might take the game away from you and officially re-release it just to make some money.

I know EA allowed you to work on this project, but they can revoke that permission anytime, and we all know how greedy they are.

2 hours ago, Fimion said:

Im not sure if it is good for Battleforge to become popular, lets say more and more people start playing it and everyone is talking about it.

Then EA might take the game away from you and officially re-release it just to make some money.

I know EA allowed you to work on this project, but they can revoke that permission anytime, and we all know how greedy they are.

Custom code is belongs to the SR team and is protected by law - same goes for server and other tools. Therefore they can't take over the server, and with a team of experienced Developers, perhaps those who worked on the original game, setting up another Battleforge server should not be too difficult for EA.

As far as I know, SR team learnt a lot on the process, and had to start a few things from nothing, as far as I know.

Killing a non-profit private server, that took 5 years to create, would be a bad move from marketing, however EA already have bad PR....

On 1/6/2021 at 11:00 PM, Garry349 said:

Holy crap, I just wanted to check, how many people are online in the forums and saw this. Needless to say, I'm impressed!

Screenshot_DuckDuckGo_20210108-173336.png

On 12/30/2020 at 12:37 PM, Ladorre said:

The best advertisment you can imagine is YouTube and Twitch browsing. E.G. I can't find plenty of NON-speedrun walkthrough at Youtube.

THIS

It should be clear that the game dies again if there aren't any ads invested in, 
e.g.: buying Twitchers/Youtubers to create promotional videos. For example playing a few rounds and saying the game's good

Or funding an artist to create a short '' release '' trailer, e.g. in SFM or similar

Or why is the FB dead? How about twitter and co.

it is possible to run these options non-profit, without advertising money to avoid said IP

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 10:05 PM, xs0ulLess said:

It should be clear that the game dies again if there aren't any ads invested in,
e.g.: buying Twitchers/Youtubers to create promotional videos. For example playing a few rounds and saying the game's good

This is impossible, we are not allowed to do paid campaigns.

Just want to remind people about this youtube channel :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZLtgBj59SBfIZzcYWbxJVg

The BattleForge Creator's Guild was started back in the alpha testing stage, and its goal is to collect content from all battleforge creators to promote the game. Idea is that 1 big channel will reach more people than 10 small channels. Unfortunately at some point it was mostly me making videos and people just associated the channel with me, so I post more on my own channel to give others room to post here.

If you are interested in battleforge content creation (especially if you're not sure you're dedicated enough to make 100+ videos on your own channel), we encourage you to make videos here! And this is a good central BF channel to subscribe to and promote to friends :)

Ultrakool likes this