BattleForge.exe - Application Error - Application Was Unable To Start Correctly (0xc0000142)

lostin666

I get this error after pressing play on launcer
image.png.838a9316a1478780317b21039fa6d490.png

I have windows 10, 
I have run installer/launcher as admin
I tried reinstall, reboot machine, installet direct x
I have no antivirus except windows own

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2712 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Adapter Description    Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB

Edited by lostin666
Mokto likes this

I'm having the exact same behavior. Downloaded archive & Installer from GoogleDrive link; it passes CRC/hash. Installer runs fine. Updater seemingly worked as it ran through like 120 files/steps in the progress bar at the bottom left.

When I press "Launch" on the Skylords launcher though I immediately get the same error as the OP above. I'm most suprised because I played your beta on this machine/windows install in 2018 without any problem!

I've tried updating drivers, compatibility mode, run Skylords & Battleforge .exe's as admin, suggested DX9/noAA edits to Documents\Battleforge\config, delete Documents\Battleforge entirely (with no change, so it must be stumbling pretty early in the launch process. The folder is NOT regenerated.)

Win 10 Pro
No antivirus other than Windows Defender

i7-6700K (4C/8T) / Geforce GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Hi! Thanks for the help! :D

It was indeed blocked access to the document folder that caused it. 
I did not have the Windows Ransomware Protection enabled but my document folder is on a shared location only accessible with corporate vpn.
I set it to its default local path instead and now the game works. 

Merry Christmas

This issue is resolved

11 hours ago, KriegeR said:

SOLVED (for me - OP please try this)

Windows Ransomware Protection was blocking Battleforge.exe from accessing /Documents directory despite both UAC and Defender being disabled. Apparently this operates separately...

Thank you for sharing your solution on this. I am glad you fixed and and didn't give up on that. We will mostly likely add it to our troubleshooting page as soon as possible. Of course these are issues we can't solve when installing our game. But at least other players will have another option to take a look at.

12 minutes ago, lostin666 said:

It was indeed blocked access to the document folder that caused it. 
I did not have the Windows Ransomware Protection enabled but my document folder is on a shared location only accessible with corporate vpn.
I set it to its default local path instead and now the game works. 

Also thank you for sharing your solution. It has been mentioned a lot, that your My Documents directory needs to be accessible for the game to work properly. But it has not been added to our troubleshooting page. We will definitely add this to our list. In the past those issues were mostly due to enabled OneDrive syncing which forces the My Documents directory being linked to another location which the game couldn't handle.

Merry Christmas to both of you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use