Bad side effects of lowering disenchant upgrade Gold

chickennoodler

10/17/20

If lowering pve disenchant upgrade gold was to get other people to play other maps it failed. What it actually did was the following.

4 player Campaign map popularity is up.

2 player campaign pve is slightly up

4 player Bad Harvest is now the most popular campaign pve map.

4 player Guns of Lyr is still popular.

Titans and Giants is rarely played

Rpve game popularity has REALLY soared of

People have stopped playing campaign Solo pve maps outside of unlocking them. Nothing else has changed except now people don't have any reason to play Campaign expert solo. Now they farm solo rpve 9 or Rpve 10 solo.

I'm sorry, but what was this change supposed to do? People are not going to learn 10 maps on expert and then buy the expensive bfp cards required per map and then grind each map 18-20 times for each map to randomly get a specific set of upgrades after hours of grind.

I just don't understand the reasoning so I've put it all up here in case anyone else feels like sharing their thoughts too.

Reasoning:

1.  Slowing down overall gold progression to open up possibility of introducing new ways to earn gold
  2.  Counter the map favouring influence of the currently thematically fitting upgrade distribution
  3.  Campaign is more close to rpve and PvP gold earnings

Edit: regarding 1, indirect gold buffs coming in hot :P

image.png.d417dd88bd482e464b8b9d45dbc0d26b.png

Edited by LEBOVIN
MephistoRoss likes this

16 hours ago, LEBOVIN said:

Reasoning:

1.  Slowing down overall gold progression to open up possibility of introducing new ways to earn gold
  2.  Counter the map favouring influence of the currently thematically fitting upgrade distribution
  3.  Campaign is more close to rpve and PvP gold earnings

Edit: regarding 1, indirect gold buffs coming in hot :P

image.png.d417dd88bd482e464b8b9d45dbc0d26b.png

So it's not complete then? The Gold Overhaul. That makes more sense.

Okay. inconvenient but shrug I guess.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 7:27 AM, chickennoodler said:

I'm sorry, but what was this change supposed to do? People are not going to learn 10 maps on expert and then buy the expensive bfp cards required per map and then grind each map 18-20 times for each map to randomly get a specific set of upgrades after hours of grind.

But I do

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for necroposting but I am also a bit confused about the current gold system. If my observations are correct (and I want to point out that they might not be) then there is actually no reason at all to farm the upgrades from maps because disenchanting them usually nets more gold than you would pay for claiming them. It is hard for me to confirm this for the more rare (and expensive) upgrades, but at least for most "normal" level 1 upgrades I have encountered so far disenchanting always gave me ~ 10-40 more gold than i would spend on claiming that upgrade.

Is there something obvious I am missing or is gold farming actually more profitable than farming the upgrades from the maps?

As LEBOVIN said.

Best farming way except for speedrunning, which is Passage to Darkness Expert, grants you usually 7000 gold for 20 minutes of playing, however players usually choose to get 4000 gold per 20 minutes in rPvE. Ultrarare Upgrades Level 3 cost 15 000 each, and adding them to card costs another 6000. Therefore you can get some upgrades faster by farming particular ultrarare upgrades. When it comes to rare upgrades, those are usually nice addition if you play a map and get them by accident. However, one could consider to play one map with many useful upgrades a few times to get rare upgrades.

Metagross31 likes this

I'am playing this game for a week now and my experience is far different from the game I played 10 years ago.

For me the main progression system and excitement in this game was hunting for the Card Upgrades. I loved playing with 3 of my friends specific maps to get specific card upgrades. The joy was in doing something (sometimes hard, sometime time consuming) and getting a reward for it. You had to play all maps multiple times and had the excitement for the loot after every game.

Now I am playing this game 1 hour a day FOR A WEEK, doing ONLY Bad Harvest and have my cards upraded on lvl 1 just by paying GOLD!
In my optinion this takes all the fun I had in this game away. You should get enough gold to be able to upgrate your cards, when you got the upgrading card you were farming for (and that should take some time, not a week!), but not to BUY the upgrading card.

For me it feels like there is nothing to work towards in this game. Farming gold and doing the most efficient map is not doing it for me, neither for my friends who played with me 10 years ago.

Edited by Stryler
Sam Iverson likes this

35 minutes ago, Stryler said:

I'am playing this game for a week now and my experience is far different from the game I played 10 years ago.

For me it feels like there is nothing to work towards in this game. Farming gold and doing the most efficient map is not doing it for me, neither for my friends who played with me 10 years ago.

I have to aggree, the thrill to manage to get maps at expert to get specific upgrades is lost with the gold alternative. It makes it meaningless to learn AND play specific maps, so playtime and variety is suffering, but also ecconomy, because you don't have any interest in getting special cards for some maps/strategies, so those cards are worthless (which would otherwise have some usages).

All in all, especially longterm, this gold thing is hurting this beautiful game more then it helps.

Actually this is kind of the same mechanic that was in the original game. Phenomic introduced playtokens at some point, which you could also have farmed and is basically the same system as with gold rn. I am not sure anymore, if you needed a small fee of about 100BFP to be able to disentchant for tokens but this was actually the most effective way for upgrade farming and more rewarding than the current system.

So the concept is nothing new, just different package.

3 hours ago, YaBro0 said:

Actually this is kind of the same mechanic that was in the original game. Phenomic introduced playtokens at some point, which you could also have farmed and is basically the same system as with gold rn. I am not sure anymore, if you needed a small fee of about 100BFP to be able to disentchant for tokens but this was actually the most effective way for upgrade farming and more rewarding than the current system.

So the concept is nothing new, just different package.

Hm...okay. That concept wasn't in place the time I played this game (I played for like half a year). In gerenral I dislike concepts like "you can do anything you want, it all gives the same reward". A system like that will always drive towards One specific most efficiant way to earn that reward, rather than pushes you to play the whole content (or at least a large part of it)