Skylords Marketplace Journal (SMJ)

Maze

@Maze I gotta be honest... When I commented "I love it!", I played around for like 5 minutes on the site. I've played around a bit more now and have to say, this whole thing is amazing.

I love the possibility to toggle on multiple choice for just one filter and how you implemented it:
image.png.6b1ebd48445529329a3a3e4caa7f7205.png

I love the possibility to set individual filters for cost and HP (damage really dosnt make sence, but that is not your fault but just how the damage number is calculated):
image.png.12363efb427befc4adf3bc703a3dbe4e.png

I love the over the top sort options:
image.thumb.png.ef5c592ff5c7a6283990b3f81636f1f0.png

Even though I'll never use it, I love the integration of upgrade drops (although I have no idea if it is accurate):
image.png.d54bc9055ff7b331678d7469396816a3.png

Well and there's that:
image.thumb.png.fbec8a8ea9ab83ee3ef94e304b6da281.png

Out of all the changes you did, the Toggle Ability Tags is the one I'm both most impressed and most dissapointed. The Show All button not only shows all abilities, but also all the reasons why Battleforge is as unintuitive as it is.
I think the collapes view (as shown above) should have the most frequent occuring options shown. What they are... I unfortunatly don't know ? But I guess that was your sort criteria as well and works pretty good for Passive Abilities. Not as much for Autocast Abilities, Switch Abilities and Effect. The 9th option of Autocast Abiliteis: Acherontic Jet already is at 2 sources and the 2nd option of Switch Abilities has only 2 sources which are two affinities of one card. I suggest only show abilities which are mentioned on 3 or more individual cards (exluding affinities and promos).

I think else... I have nothing to complaing about... It's funcioning great, looks amazing, is user friendly and (at least for me) very intuitive. I didn't check it out on mobile yet, but honestly it could be terrible and I'd still love it.

The most improvements to be made are not up to you, but up to devs to change Hamstering Rage into Rage and Cripeling Bite as example. Keywords are godaweful in this game and you did the best out of it.

I'll continue to follow this project with great interest and curiosity.

Kind regards,
Myno

Edited by Mynoduesp
Maze likes this

On 11/4/2020 at 8:25 PM, Maze said:

I played with the design a little bit more and added some images that I thought were fitting to the species/class/building type/spell type filter, if you think others would fit better, tell me which, once I deployed the new version.

grafik.thumb.png.1b76944f1d49da5df77d59afd8670239.png

Really like it a lot too, but the lower filter row of the image above is gone now? (Or maybe I just cant find it)

Edit: got it

Edited by LEBOVIN

@Mynoduesp thanks for your feedback! :)

10 hours ago, Mynoduesp said:

I love the possibility to set individual filters for cost and HP (damage really dosnt make sence, but that is not your fault but just how the damage number is calculated):

Yeah, but I got the data, so I thought I could just add it, at least it's possible to filter the displayed damage. xD

Even though I'll never use it, I love the integration of upgrade drops (although I have no idea if it is accurate):

They are accurate, as I fed them with data from another source that contained the official upgrade map data, that is available online.

I think the collapes view (as shown above) should have the most frequent occuring options shown. What they are... I unfortunatly don't know ? But I guess that was your sort criteria as well and works pretty good for Passive Abilities.

The most frequent are shown first and if there are multiple that have the same frequency it is sorted by name.

I suggest only show abilities which are mentioned on 3 or more individual cards (exluding affinities and promos).

That's a good idea and I thinks one that is easily implemented.

The most improvements to be made are not up to you, but up to devs to change Hamstering Rage into Rage and Cripeling Bite as example. Keywords are godaweful in this game and you did the best out of it.

The way I generate the datasets allows for this kind of adjustment quite easily (only one line of code for each ability that needs to be adjusted), for example  I thought of combining ones that mean/do practically the same into one tag (like you suggested in the other thread with Steadfast and Stalwart), like the abilities from "Surge of Light", "Ray of Light", "Equilibrium" and "Regrowth" under the Effect Tag of "Heal".

And also stuff like this:
grafik.thumb.png.bcffce7239936acddee4d40e5240061d.png

Which I would change into one Tag called "Bolt".

I also noticed that some ability types don't fit anymore, like the "Shadow Worm"'s "Mass Disintegration" ability, on the images it shows at an active ability, whereas ingame it seems to have been updated to a switch ability.

If you think you know ones that should be combined into one tag or find errors in the typing of the abilitis, tell me which/where and I can adjust it. ;)

Edited by Maze

I also noticed that some ability types don't fit anymore, like the "Shadow Worm"'s "Mass Disintegration" ability, on the images it shows at an active ability, whereas ingame it seems to have been updated to a switch ability.

If you think you know ones that should be combined into one tag or find errors in the typing of the abilitis, tell me which/where and I can adjust it. 

@Maze You can find a list of those I caught in the wiki aswell :) https://skylords-reborn.fandom.com/wiki/Patches (basically scroll down to the bottom as most of it happend there).

e.g:

image.png.afe08d6f5b022f6116deff3c5ae0e838.png

Edited by LEBOVIN
Maze likes this

50 minutes ago, LEBOVIN said:

@Maze You can find a list of those I caught in the wiki aswell :) https://skylords-reborn.fandom.com/wiki/Patches (basically scroll down to the bottom as most of it happend there).

e.g:

image.png.afe08d6f5b022f6116deff3c5ae0e838.png

@LEBOVIN Oh wow, thanks for the info. :)

I only updated the "Swift" ability for Colossus and Bloodhorn as well as the "Siege" ability for Skycatcher up until now, so this help is very much welcome. ^^

• Maze changed the title to Skylords Marketplace Journal (SMJ)

I did some smaller changes to the site and updated the main post of this thread to better represent the features that my site currently provides.

As stated in the main post and on my site, I plan to completely overhaul the site, to allow easier implementation of features, so there might not be a lot of changes for quite some time.

Mynoduesp likes this

I did some more small changes to the site:

• Setting the pages with the randomly generated prices as the standard pages and adding a warning, that the prices are randomly generated!
  • Adding mean values of the prices, for a slightly better value to orientate on (compared to only lowest and highest).
  • Small info in the top right of the page about when the price values were last updated.

I also tried out some other stuff:

• Median Values, but the backend database function that calculates the value wasn't able to work through all the cards data (though it worked when requesting info of a single card), so I will probably have to calculate it in the frontend in the future, if the planned database change won't fix this.
  • Tooltips on hover over the images in the grid layout, it worked fine, but doubled the loading time of the grid page, which wasn't acceptable to me, so I will try a different approach another time.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everyone, the site now displays the actual recorded minimum buyout prices!

The relevant data is automatically added to the database every whole 20 minutes.

As I mentioned before, the site only displays the minimum buyout prices, as that was the system I put in place in the beginning. I am currently working on completely overhauling the site to allow for a more detailed view of price history and development, so stay tuned. ;)

And don't worry I am saving the momentary api data on a separate database to allow for the overhauled site to process the data retrospectively. :)

I hope you all will find this helpful and please let me know your feedback. :)

I'll give you some feedback when I got some time to play around, suuuuper excited to see the API getting some love - making SMJ perfectly functionable and usable for its primary purpose. :D

I'm already looking forward to the "the market is RIGGED!" and "Marketmanipulators make trading UNBEARABLE!" posts on the forum complaining about ppl using the publicly available market data. ?

Some feedback anyways:

A determined layout for mobile users would be nice to have. Not sure how many would use the site on mobile, but I saw some potential for improvements when I checked it out on mobile. ^^

Otherwise I'll wait for some data to maybe give some more feedback. 

Once again, well done and looking forward to the improvements you'll make. :)

4 hours ago, Mynoduesp said:

A determined layout for mobile users would be nice to have. Not sure how many would use the site on mobile, but I saw some potential for improvements when I checked it out on mobile. ^^

what exectly do you mean by determined layout? As in a different display compare to the normal website?

Also, I thought of maybe writing a mobile app for the site, but that is something far in the future, when the site provides enough features to justify creating an app for it. xD

Nice work.

One small suggestion: When looking at a card page, could you add the name of the card to the title of the page?

So when you have multiple tabs open in your browser, you know which is which.

Of course it would be even nicer if everyone could make his/her own list of cards to follow and view a summary of the list prices on one page. 

Maze likes this

1 hour ago, MephistoRoss said:

Nice work.

One small suggestion: When looking at a card page, could you add the name of the card to the title of the page?

So when you have multiple tabs open in your browser, you know which is which.

Of course it would be even nicer if everyone could make his/her own list of cards to follow and view a summary of the list prices on one page. 

Thanks and the Title suggestion is a great idea and one that I can easily implement.

The idea of a favorite list is something that I played around with as well, maybe in combination with other features that I thought of which would be quite easy with a log in feature, but that's for after the overhaul. :D

Edit:  The Titles of the pages are now the respective Names of the pages. ;)

Edited by Maze
MephistoRoss likes this

On 12/18/2020 at 9:37 PM, Maze said:

Also, I thought of maybe writing a mobile app for the site, but that is something far in the future, when the site provides enough features to justify creating an app for it. xD

I'm currently programming an App for another Project, if you know a little Java and html it's suoer easy for Android with "Android Studio". 

On 12/18/2020 at 9:37 PM, Maze said:

what exectly do you mean by determined layout? As in a different display compare to the normal website?

I noticed a hand full of layout issues for mobile screensizes, but as I said, the webpage wont be used by mobile users too often anyways except if there's a notification feature similar to poe.trade (for the game Path of Exile). 

The notification system allows you to search for an item with all possible filters including a maximum price. And as soon as a new item matches these filters you get a pop-up notification in the browser with a little *wup* sound.

Maze likes this

The site is temporarily going to display no price data, as there is too much data for the site to load, I will work on a workaround today. Also, no data will be lost!

Apart from that I put together a temporary API with parts of the data that I use on my site. Note that the structure and the contents are only temporary and subject to change!

If you are interested, you can find the API here:     https://smj.herokuapp.com/api/temporary

Edit: Despite what I said, some data was lost, not because of was I was working on (which isn't finished yet, so please be patient), but because the device that runs the script to write the data from the auction API to my database froze and I didn't realize it for a few hours... :( I will try find a better solution and put in some backup scripts, so that this hopefully won't happen again... 

Edited by Maze
Mynoduesp and RuneSeeker like this

After not working again today, I tried to fix another bug related to the data size.

I only managed to partly fix it, so for now the noteworthy prices will only be available on the specific card pages. The price infos on the Cards and Boosters page will display values of 0 for now.

This issue originates from the database that I use, as the full data size has become too big for it to operate on. Apart from that, I did some calculations and the size for the specific cards should stay small enough for quite some time for the database to still work... so there shouldn't be any issues there, hopefully.

Nonetheless, I will try to come up with a solution for the problem, but I plan to switch to a different database anyways, so I might just continue working on the overhaul with the new database instead. Also, I hope that the new database won't run into such problems.

Edited by Maze
Mynoduesp likes this

3 hours ago, Mynoduesp said:

Not sure if its a bug of SMJ or something else, but `Lord Cyrian` has still a promo card (star in the top left corner) after it was downgreaded from promo to ultra-rare.

Makes the whole site litteraly unusable. :kappaross:

I am aware of this issue. "Lord Cyrian" is already grouped under Ultra Rare though and not under Promo anymore. I need to update the id from "lord-cyrian-promo" to "lord-cyrian" at a few locations in my database, but I haven't done that yet. As for the image, I am still using the images from the cardbase which only has a promo image of it (same with not having easter egg image and others), but I already have something planned, so just wait a bit more. :D

Mynoduesp likes this

@Maze Another thing I've noticed is following inconvinience. If a card somewhen had a huge spike in price the graph doesnt resize even with the abnormaly large price out of the timespam. (Example: https://smj.herokuapp.com/cards/dreadnought)

image.thumb.png.bb08bdd9852fbd14ce94659ec9491e0d.png

image.thumb.png.84aea06c281bed29b7a7bda53b41bab7.png

I'll be reporting such minor issues (like the image) whenever I come across one, Sorry for being a pain in the ass :D