Frequent disconnects on unstable internet connection

Dallarian

Name: Bad connection causes ingame match to freeze or crash the whole game.

Severity: 2

Reproducibility: Hard to estimate, depends on current internet connection.

Description: When you have bad internet connection (that often lag the game and sometimes short disconnects) during the match game may:

Freeze for you, show for your allies that you have left the game, however you may still be able to use group chat and talk with them. launcher_log_2019.08.06_59.log. _launcher_log_2019.08.06_59.log

Crash the entire game. launcher_log_2019.08.06_60.log. _launcher_log_2019.08.06_60.log

Today occurred another bug as well, I received report bug log during being in lobby for battleground difficulty 6 for four players. After pressing any in-game button game froze and disconnected from server. launcher_log_2019.08.06_61.log._launcher_log_2019.08.06_61.log

Screenshot: 870276240_Gamefreeze.thumb.jpg.02ef365b0f92895811fd4f08ef0eb46a.jpg

Additional information: My internet connection is really bad at the moment, that's probably the matter. I use my phone as internet router. That's nothing new, to play the game you must have internet connection.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes both disconnects was caused by something on your side (probably the connection).
Some technical details, with possible solution:
there are 3 servers: login, forge (cards, auction, chat, ...), and game for matches
in 1 of the 2 cases you lost connection only to game server, so chat was still working, in that case I would be theoretically able to create reconnect mechanic, but that would be a lot of work even in the best case.
Best case would be to freeze game for all player when someone disconnect, and try to reconnect for few (up to 5?) seconds, then unfreeze and if player was able to reconnect let him continue, if not destroy his stuff, as normal disconnect.
Other option is delay the destruction of player without freezing game, so the units will be able to defend their positions and other players would not be able to take wells and monuments. This would even much more work than the best case option, and would create additional load for server whenever would someone disconnect, that would be able to cause lags.
Third option is leave it as it is, so player is destroyed instantly, and just add some notification to player that connection to game server was lost.

:thinking: where to ask about players opinions on this? Right now I am mostly interested what would players left in match want.

In the EA days, when someone had connection problems all players would have lag/freeze for some seconds (sometimes much more than 5 seconds though) and if it would take too long the player would get disconnected. There was a negative side effect however: when the player got reconnected or disconnected, the game would speed up very fast to make up for the frozen time (in which players were not able to do anything). 

If it happens like 1 or 2 times during a match, the freeze option (max 5 seconds) sounds good to me, especially if you are able to not introduce the same side effect as EA did. What will happen though if someone has a really unstable connection and this happens several times during a match (for example every minute)? Maybe disconnect the player after x times within a certain time frame? 

It is still the same in SR. But you can get much longer freezes than 5 seconds in some extreme cases. If you use Nether Warp for 500 Units at once or other extreme stuff can let all players freeze for a much longer time.

I said it would be a lot of work :P

I have an idea how it could work so max waiting time, and try to reconnect only up to X times are only small details that would not make it any more complicated. :)

3 hours ago, Halis said:

It is still the same in SR

I never seen it, and I am sure server do not do that. When the game run faster it means that buffering happen somewhere during the transport over the network, most probably on the local PC (because Windows...)

Main question is if it is worth it. So far I have 2 logs from 1 player where I identified that pattern and possibility in 1 of them. Sample size of 2 with 50% possibility is not enough for me to decide. Feel free to communicate with players and ask them for the logs...

3 hours ago, Halis said:

It is still the same in SR. But you can get much longer freezes than 5 seconds in some extreme cases. If you use Nether Warp for 500 Units at once or other extreme stuff can let all players freeze for a much longer time.

I am not sure if really all players experience same lag in that case, as I am playing on a shitty laptop now and others already continue to play normally while I still experience the freeze.

yea :( there is no standard terminology to describe the problems :( and even if there would be, I have no idea how we would explain to players to use it :(

just look to "technical support" section to their questions... :(

Currently laggs of player don't influence another players. I think it's worth to keep it this way.
Let give player ability to try to reconnect for like 20-40 seconds while others are playing, and after this time kick player from all servers (so he won't get frozen in game with working chat and wondering if he's able to reconnect or not). In my opinion it's best solution.

• 1 year later...

The game will become unresponsive in the forge (I have not seen this same error in a mission). You can move the mouse but nothing else works. The only resolution seems to be to End the Process.

It is possible it happens when I click on the Marketplace. I am trying to reproduce.

This happens about 20% of the time when in the forge (building decks or testing units).

_log_proxy_0.log

Edited by Skippydamule

DESCRIPTION: During missions I get the error message "Your client has lost connection with the server". This only happens during missions, but can be single player or multiplayer

REPRODUCIBILITY: Happens about 50% of every match so far. 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I have a very solid and fast internet connection and don't see disconnects in any other games (I play a bunch). I have exceptions in my anti-virus and my firewall for Battleforge.

crash.thumb.png.b2a4bba89a7b86c09610569ea50eacc7.png

_log_proxy_0.log

I think you chose the wrong log files here aswell, since those seem to be the logs for your other bug report. If you did not restart the game yet: you need to send _log_proxy_latest.log, if you restart it once: _log_proxy_0.log, if you restart it twice: _log_proxy_1.log and so on.

Game will freeze on me when playing single player maps (only tried the first 3, not tried multiplayer maps). It can happen at any point when playing, I can move the mouse and the camera around the map, but I can't interact with with my troops, summon new units or use spells.

First time it happen I restarted the game and tried the map again with no problems, but after that it's been happening more and more and now I'm stuck on the "Siege of hope" Map as I've tried to play it 4 times.

Screenshot.png.9b859ae17954607b18f8ac75a455f0ba.png

_log_proxy_latest.log

• macabi changed the title to Game Freezing and Remains Frozen