Differing Rate of Fire between two spawns of the same Unit

PrincessKenny

NAME: Attack speed of Firedancer is going faster than another firedancer.

DESCRIPTION: When i have spawned Firedancer at forge then swap team and spawned promo Firedancer, they start attacking eachother in exact same moment but promo died and normal didnt.

REPRODUCIBILITY: It happens in almost every try. Even if they attack in exact same moment, one of them after 1st hit, start 2nd attack slightly sooner than other one. 3rd one even sooner.

It's like for one of 2 same units, animation of attack last longer. It's barely visible after 1st attack but gap between attacks is growing with each hit.

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO: On screenshot below You can see that they die in exact same moment when fireballs hits ground while left unit was already hit when she fire her ball for 1st time.

LOG: Not nesesery. Everyone can try this.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Attack speed need investigation but i personally have no clue what can cause this.

Untitled.png

More information

Tested few different units:

- Giant wyrm: attack speed is same regarless of knockback
- Skyfire drake: same as above regardless of low life
- Snapjaws: attack speed without changes
- Spore Launcher: no problems
- Mountaineer: no problems

- Warlock: different attack speed like at Firedancer
- Bandit Sorceress: huge difference even more than Firedancer
- Lost Dancer: same issue
- Razorleaf: very slight attack speed change
- Frost Mage: Huge speed difference
- Core Dredge: no problems

They are indeed different (even in the game files), thanks for the report. Although the game does have a weird bug, where even the exact same units have different attack speeds sometimes.

These are the values for the attacks in the game files:
Fire Dance Promo
Cast Time: 0.699s
Resolve Time: 2.009s
Recast Time: 2.801s

Fire Dancer Normal
Cast Time: 0.776s
Resolve Time: 1.932s
Recast Time: 2.724s

18 hours ago, Belormoroth said:

More information

Tested few different units:

- Spore Launcher: no problems
- Mountaineer: no problems

- Frost Mage: Huge speed difference
- Core Dredge: no problems

For clarification: is the same behavior also reproducible ingame? Or does this only occur in the forge? It should probably be the same ingame, but would be cool if you can confirm that.

25 minutes ago, Belormoroth said:

No clue how im suppose to try that. 

You could play a PvP sparring match with a friend and test the attack speeds there. You'll both be given 3 boosters for testing and confirming the bug for the same units. ^_^

12 hours ago, Zyna said:

You could play a PvP sparring match with a friend and test the attack speeds there. You'll both be given 3 boosters for testing and confirming the bug for the same units. ^_^

Did it with "Lushy". Results are 100% same in game.

Units tested:

- Firedancer: same as at forge

No differences between forge and game.

Edited by Belormoroth

2 hours ago, Belormoroth said:

Did it with "Lushy". Results are 100% same in game.

Units tested:

- Firedancer: same as at forge

No differences between forge and game.

Thanks. You meant "Luschy" and not "Lushy", right? I gave you both your boosters.

PrincessKenny likes this

• 4 months later...

NAME: Differing Rate of Fire between two spawns of the same Unit

DESCRIPTION: 

So yesterday I started analyzing the actual attack speed of units to fix the description and values on the card. I started with Dryad and used a timer to measure the time between two attacks of hers. But after double-checking a few hours later I got different values and noticed that every spawned unit has a slightly differing rate of fire. Mynoduesp linked me to another thread that mentioned the same "bug" that I was witnessing (https://forum.skylords.eu/index.php?/topic/6921-attack-speed-goin-crazy/).

I did alot of testing with different units and found out that only units that have a pause between their attack animations differ in rate of fire between spawns. Units like the Nox trooper, Fire Dragon or skyfire Drake always attack with the same rate of fire, since there is no time for them to pause.
All other units have pause between their attack animations that differs in length from unit to unit.

When a unit is spawned it has a fixed pause length that never changes as long as the unit is alive and no matter what it attacks. I'd assume it's a property that's generated on spawn and saved somewhere on the unit-object. Sadly I can't look into the code to help with that "bug".

I use quotes because I think that behavior was intended by the initial devs to make the units more unique. Maybe they thought it looks strange when 6 units in a squad fire in perfect unison (they do have a point with that). But for non-squad units it's horrible when one spawn is up to ~30% better than another. (Don't tell the pvp players this bug exists, they are gonna blame their losses on this :P)

REPRODUCIBILITY: use 2 units with idle animations and let them attack the same target. They are gonna desync 100%. Use 2 units without idle animations between attacks, and they will never desync.

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO: I have 3 videos I took showing the bug for Shamans, Dryads and Fire Stalkers. But the file size is too big >.< Will send them over discord if need be.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I have no clue if this also applies for melee units. I don't think it does though, because they don't pause that much.

Edited by Razeroc

9 minutes ago, Razeroc said:

REPRODUCIBILITY: use 2 units with idle animations and let them attack the same target. They are gonna desync 100%. Use 2 units without idle animations between attacks, and they will never desync.

Just for clarification, this only occures when you attack a target with multiple units of the same ID selected and not when you attack with them individually? 

It's not clear right now what causes that bug. It probably has something to do with the "recast step" of the unit (The time between attacks in which the idle animation plays). Because if the recast step of a unit is set to 0 it seems to remove the randomness. Same with units like Tempest or Construct which have an attack that is independend of the idle animation. But if we change the recast step to 0, the unit attacks faster in general so it will lead to problems balancing wise. The weird thing though is that this also happens for Towers which clearly have no (visible) idle animation.

Flying units are also not affected by that bug btw.

8 hours ago, Mynoduesp said:

Just for clarification, this only occures when you attack a target with multiple units of the same ID selected and not when you attack with them individually? 

The "randomness" is set once you play the unit. No matter how you attack with them, the individual unit will ALWAYS have a higher / lower attack speed than the other.

For people who want to see it in action, you can see it very clearly in this video:

Edited by Chibiterasu
Mynoduesp likes this

• Zyna changed the title to Differing Rate of Fire between two spawns of the same Unit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use