Skylords Reborn Championship (11.07)

RadicalX

Hello Skylords and Skyladies! Today I want to announce the next big Battleforge PvP Tournament!

Who is going to be the new Master of the Forge to show the world, that he mastered his decks and strategies to beat them all for fame, glory and obviously tons of bfp? Time to find out! 

Who can participate?

Everyone! I will be thankful for every single participant! Even if you're not that confident at reaching grand finals to get a shot for winning the whole thing, there will be lots of opportunities to win prices and I would like to stream and review as many games as possiblle through all skillbrackets! It would be great to see a large variety of decks and playstyles! 

SIGN UP TO THE TOURNAMENT: https://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/aUNkP0atnG#/signup/205xjl4u7pp

If you end up having problems with the registration talk to me! 

Format

It will be a 1vs1 Double Elimination best of 3 tournament, the grand final will be best of 5 (one match, no reset). Winner and losers finals will be all played on stream (the basic Toggy-format).

Prize Pool 

1st place: 5000 Bfp + Promo Construct

2nd place: 3000 Bfp + Wheel of Gifts

3rd place: 2000 Bfp + Juggernaut

4th place: 1500 Bfp

Every other participant, that shows up and plays his matches gets 1 Booster!! You don't have to reach top 4 to win something in this tournament!

Awards

There will be special awards for special and entertaining plays during the tournament. Everyone, who sends me the replays at the end of the tournament gets a shot at winning!! 

-> Best match of the Tournament: By that I mean the closest and most instense games! Perfect mechanical execution isn't necessary to win this award, it just has to be super exciting! The 3 best games will be rewarded with 500bfp for each player who took place in one of the matches. 

-> Creative Player Award: Make a creative deck or non meta strategy work in this tournament! The 3 most impressive strategies will be rewarded with 500bfp each. 

-> There will be even more hidden awards like the Toggy Award, so stay tuned! In total I will use up more than 5.000 bfp (I might even increase that number) to reward special plays and matches regardless on how high you placed in the tournament. UPDATE: We got another 10.000bfp donation for awards!

To be considered for the award ceremony you have to send me your replays! You can upload them in this forum thread or send them to me via discord (RadicalX#0952)! Please consider, that I had to change my discord account, so don't send your replays to the old one! I want to upload as many tournament replays on my youtube channel as possible!

When?

On 11.07.20 starting at 2pm CEST (Berlin time), the stream will start about 30 minutes in advance! 

How to watch?

There will be a livestream during the tournament: https://www.twitch.tv/radicalx5 

I also want to cast alot of replays on my youtube channel and also announce the award winners: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3rZG7pzo3GYO0wR3Jx9F7w

Will be thankful for every viewer! 

Rules 

Disconnection during a game results in a default loss. If both sides agree it is possible to have a remake!

Not showing up to your match within 15 minutes results in a default loss. The plan is to play a round of matches every ~30 mins.

After your match go to Challonge and insert the result. That is done by clicking on your match and selecting the winner/stats. The brackets will be updated automatically.

The Map Pool is: Haladur, Simai, Wazhai, Elyon, Lajesh, Yrmia and Uro (same pool as in ranked duel). The first match of the round will be played on Haladur, then it is losers choice. Second round will start with Simai, third one... you get the drill.

The brackets for the tournament will be shuffled before the tournament starts.

Please save your replays by renaming them after you game or selecting the safe all replays option and send them to me unless your game were played on stream! 

Internal rules like "no wall agreements" have to be agreed on in text form to be an official ruling and if any of those internal agreements are violated it counts as a default loss

No insulting! 

BANNED CARDS: CURSE WELL; MORTAR TOWER; PHASETOWER - using one of these cards results in a default loss. If both sides agree it is possible to have a remake! 

Reply in this thread, if you have any questions! Big shoutouts to Yuah & MephistoRoss for donating huge amounts of bfp to make this large price pool possible! 

Quick reminder, that we have a discord tutoring server. If anyone wants to prepare for the tourney, feel free to join here: https://discord.gg/dZzKexQ

All I can do at this point is quoting Toggy: "I would love to see this community grow again and the competitive scene develop aswell. Because BF is fun!" 

Looking forward to a great tournament!  

Best regards,

RadicalX 

Edited by RadicalX

2 hours ago, RadicalX said:

reative Player Award: Make a creative deck or non meta strategy work in this tournament! The 3 most impressive strategies will be rewarded with 500bfp each. 

-> There will be even more hidden awards like the Toggy Award, so stay tuned! In total I will use up more than 5.000 bfp to reward special plays and matches regardless on how high you placed in the tournament.   

Well well the Toggy award better has nothing to do with missing Eruptions or battling with dazed Enforcers ;-) . Great move to revive the PvP tournaments, I am definetly in.

Edited by Toggy
RadicalX and Hirooo like this

1 hour ago, MephistoRoss said:

Cool! I like that you also have creative rewards that everybody can win. I will add 10.000bfp (of my own bfp) to the prizepool for the awards. 

Wow thank you! That's huge! Will update the main post

And I'm also quite hyped, that we have 17 registered participants already (+4-5, that might participate aswell)!  

Oh I've been waiting for this quite a while! May the days of tournaments rise again!

Just one thing bothers me a little...

Why are mortar towers banned?

I mean -curse well is just lame -totally agree

-Phase tower is extrem hard to fight as nature t1 while shadow remains very strong... so I very agree here too

But mortar? I don't consider myself as good player but, at least from my experience, it makes it very very hard to defend against t1 close-well aggression (especially from frost) doesen't it?

Its not meant as critic -I'm just curios about the strategics behind since I read most of your and Eirias guides...

1 hour ago, MephistoRoss said:

Cool! I like that you also have creative rewards that everybody can win. I will add 10.000bfp (of my own bfp) to the prizepool for the awards. 

Thats a lot!

BTW are there any plans to officially sponsor/organise tournaments like this? Since you said you will drop you own bfp for it...

21 hours ago, DrStrangelove said:

But mortar? I don't consider myself as good player but, at least from my experience, it makes it very very hard to defend against t1 close-well aggression (especially from frost) doesen't it?

Esepcially against the slow frost T1 you can and should always block a close well with swift units. Regarding the tournie's map pool a tower ban makes T1 relatively fair, i think. For example frost T1 might now have a certain advantage on Yrmia (short distances) while still being the underdog on Uro (looong distances).

I personally like this towerban cause it means less turtling into T3 and more action: more fun to play and watch.

Loriens likes this

I would like to know why it seems that walls are such a bad thing, people seem to flame whenever you take a wall while there are many other oppressive things going on? To me, walls add diversity and strategic considerations into a map.

51 minutes ago, Zappyx said:

I would like to know why it seems that walls are such a bad thing, people seem to flame whenever you take a wall while there are many other oppressive things going on? To me, walls add diversity and strategic considerations into a map.

I agree, but afaik some wall placement is just bullshit - an enemy captures a wall next to your base in T1 because you decided to expand the other way (Lajesh for example). So they capture the wall, put a few archers up on there and you, being in T1, have almost no way of defending against that (yea, Hurricane etc, sure, but you know what I mean). Overall these walls I think piss people off the most and from this the prejudiced wall hate just spreads easily. In some maps, however, I think (again, based on my limited low level PvP experience) it's normal to wall up some chokepoints to slow down or redirect the enemy attacks (Uro, Simai).

I think people flame because especially early on it's very hard and annoying to deal with walls due to their instand build and usual low cost. Often walls are just taken to tilt you rather than progressing own control, and being slowed down by a 2k wall blocking off your access to half the map is a pain in the ass. To each their own, I stopped building most walls just because it's standard, but don't really care unless someone tries to fuck me over in Lajesh this way.

I wanted to keep my banlist rather simple. Phasetower, Mortar and Cursewell seemed to be the most oppressive cards, especially when I think about how previous tournaments played out. 

SunWu already gave a good explanation for my decision to ban out Mortar Tower. There also are some very powerful mortarspots on maps like Elyon where it's possible to build them protected by cliffs, while still being in range to directly hit the enemies powerwell. Nature and Frost both had very low play- and winrates across the previous tournaments and I want to support them a little by removing these very oppressive game elements. 

When it comes down to walls I would agree with zappyx here. Walls are a very interesting strategic element, that can be used in various ways, so I don't want to remove them completely. I agree, that basewalling can be quite annoying to play against though. You can make a no-wall agreement as long as both parties are fine with that (Please play fair after making internal agreements though, as it's hard to track these things rule wise!).

1 hour ago, RadicalX said:

When it comes down to walls I would agree with zappyx here. Walls are a very interesting strategic element, that can be used in various ways, so I don't want to remove them completely. I agree, that basewalling can be quite annoying to play against though. You can make a no-wall agreement as long as both parties are fine with that (Please play fair after making internal agreements though, as it's hard to track these things rule wise!).

Just add a rule that these agreements have to be agreed on in text fot there to be an official ruling by the TO (screenshot ingame or discord) and if any of those internal agreements are violated it counts as an instant loss. If you think someone violated an internal agreement, make it mandatory to send in written evidence (e.g. the screenshot) and the replay. Should prevent anyone from having funny ideas as the consequences are fixed and the rules clearly state in which form you have to supply evidence for the TO to do anything about it. Any verbal agreement might as well count as no rule at all from the perspective of the TO and if someone gets fluked by that he only has to blame himself.

Only my humble opinion ofc. 

ulvfdfgtmk and Ultrakool like this

On 6/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, Treim said:

Just add a rule that these agreements have to be agreed on in text fot there to be an official ruling by the TO (screenshot ingame or discord) and if any of those internal agreements are violated it counts as an instant loss. If you think someone violated an internal agreement, make it mandatory to send in written evidence (e.g. the screenshot) and the replay. Should prevent anyone from having funny ideas as the consequences are fixed and the rules clearly state in which form you have to supply evidence for the TO to do anything about it. Any verbal agreement might as well count as no rule at all from the perspective of the TO and if someone gets fluked by that he only has to blame himself.

Only my humble opinion ofc. 

Yeah that's reasonable. Added the rule to the main post!

ulvfdfgtmk likes this

I see the tutoring discord but is there another room or something people go to wait for their match? I will be getting up as early as I can (I live in Texas) and I don't know where to go to be ready. There is a 99% chance I will lose my first round because it is against TopS3cret and I haven't played in years. However, I don't want to be a no show by not knowing where to go and when. 

2 hours ago, ndclub said:

I see the tutoring discord but is there another room or something people go to wait for their match? I will be getting up as early as I can (I live in Texas) and I don't know where to go to be ready. There is a 99% chance I will lose my first round because it is against TopS3cret and I haven't played in years. However, I don't want to be a no show by not knowing where to go and when. 

You can join RadicalX twich stream to communicate with other participants of the tournament. However it should be enough to just show up ingame at 2PM CEST. 

Btw, the bracket will mix up once the tournament starts, so you will most likely face a different first opponent.

RadicalX likes this

What a tournament! Thanks to everyone who participated, we had some entertaining, high quality games on stream today and I'm looking forward to watch all your replays in the upcoming days. It might take a while, but I will announce the award winners here once I finished watching all games! 

And our final Tournament results for everyone, who didn't get to watch it.

7th-8th Place: Impossible / Fodasseman 

5th-6th Place: Navarr / Deldrimor

4th Place: Draken, taking the 1500 bfp price

3rd Place: Hyp3r, taking the 2000 bfp + Juggernaut price

2nd Place: DragonLogic, taking the 3000 bfp + wheel of gifts runner up price

1st Place: TopS3cret, taking the Trophy, 5000bfp & a Promo Construct

We had 39 registered participants and most of them also ended up showing up! Really great numbers for our community! Thanks for the games, it was a  great experience! I will try to hand out the prices as soon as possible! And please send me your replays to be considered for the award ceremony!  

Stream might be uploaded to youtube (if the twitch export function works this time ...) and I will try to cast alot of your replays in the end! 

Edit: Boosters for tournament participation should be sent by now! Please contact me, if anyone didn't receive their booster for participating

Thank you and best regards 

RadicalX

Edited by RadicalX
Ladadoos, Ultrakool, Loriens and 1 other like this

I really hope the export to youtube function works, I have to upload 2 15GB files otherwise ^^

btw. I've got more than 100 replays already, thank you guys! I will try to upload some of them on youtube & announce the award winners as soon as possible, might take a little bit of time though because of these high numbers. 

MephistoRoss likes this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Award Ceremony is here. I watched more than 100 matches, so things were kind of hard to decide. Alot of replays will be cast on my channel at some point in time, since there were alot of great matchups! Thanks for making this tournament great an I hope to announce another one at some point (can't really tell a date though, might take some months). But let's get to the awards:

Award: Most intense match of the tournament 

#5 Fodasseman (Shadow Nature) vs Showaren (Shadow Frost) (200bfp for both players)

#4 Ultrakool (Fire Nature) vs thelight288 (Shadow Frost) (Shadow Frost) (300bfp for both players)

#3 TopS3cret (Pure Shadow) vs Hyp3r (Shadow Frost) (400bfp for both players)

#2 Fodasseman (Shadow Nature) vs Killbuster (Fire Frost) (500bfp for both players) 

#1 TopS3cret (Pure Fire) vs DragonLogic (Shadow Frost) (1000bfp for both players) 

Most creative deck builds:

#3 ndclub, playing an interesting off meta pure Frost deck around White rangers (250bfp)

#2 DrStrangelove, the only player who did play Bandits in the tournament and he even went off meta here utilizing stationairy buildings to compensate for the weak defense. (500bfp)

#1 Blueberryboy, with a massive pure Frost deck going up to a massive T4 combo, replay will be uploaded soon. (1000bfp)

Starcraft Award (Highest APM peak)

#3 Ultrakool with 123 APM (250bfp)

#2 Zappyx with 151 APM (500bfp)

#1 Duelllord with 177 APM (1000 bfp)

Hyperaggression Award (Fastest well kick in the Tournament)

#3 TopS3cret 2:20min (250 bfp)

#2 Ulv 2:07min (500 bfp)

#1 Quickshift 1:59min (1000 bfp)

Spam Slam Award (Most cards played of the same type)

#3 Hyp3r 21 Forsaken (250bfp)

#2 Navarr 22 Silverwindlancer (500 bfp) 

#1 Draken 24 Silverwindlancer (1000 bfp)

Toggy Award (most eruptions used in a single game):

#1 Impossible with 12 Eruptions in his game against Blodir (1x Wildfire)

Lowest deck lvl on stream award:

#1 Navarr with 114 (yes, everyone else was actually higher)  - (2x boosters)

Hirooo likes Grigoris award sponsored by Hirooo (Most Grigoris played in a single match)

#1 BKGurke with 6 Lost Grigoris in his match against Niq (1x Lost Grigori)

Stonekin Award: Longest game of the Tournament 

#1 Hyp3r (Lost Souls) vs Afrobrook (Stonekin) with 19:34min playtime (500bfp for both players)

Edited by RadicalX
LEBOVIN, Zyna, fodasseman and 2 others like this